Status update on Digitakt OS

Sorry folks I didn’t mean to stir things up, they were already stirred though.
My previous advice is just how to make sure you don’t get let down buying something from any company, not specific to Elektron, the DT, or this thread…
I probably come at this from another angle, I read about people upset and frustrated with this or that, and it upsets me that those people are frustrated, so I offer advice that would lead them to not end up in a situation that upsets them…

That’s all, it’s not even about Elektron or anything, I just want people to be happy…
It’s probably easily misunderstood so there it is…
(It’s even backfiring as some people think I’m telling them they made a bad desicion, not really my intention to upset anyone, the opposite really…)

I probably shouldn’t have pulled the ol reverso maneuver up there either, it just stirs things more, but sometimes I can’t help myself…
I’ll try harder to stay out of this stuff… :smile:

1 Like

even the OG version!

Yesterday, I made a song on my Digitakt and saw the new Star Wars film. It was a really good day and I enjoyed both.

I come online to check Elektronauts and Reddit and it turns out that the film is apparently garbage and my drum machine is a paperweight.

Seems like that Internet forums like this tend to create a negative atmosphere where the really vocal critics stand out more than the happy customers. If I’d have never checked online, I’d have never known that people hated Star Wars or the Digitakt. I’ve had about 3 or 4 crashes since July, slightly annoying but nothing major.

People just need to realise that something can be flawed without being 100% pure garbage.

At the end of the day, the Digitakt is a £600 drum machine. If it’s bad, return it and move on. Make a post or two explaining why you returned it if you feel you need to. I just think it’s disingenuous to call it completely broken. Loads of people on YouTube have made some amazing stuff with the lil box. All this negativity isn’t helping anyone.

Now I’m going to pack my Digitakt as I head off to see family for the holidays. I’m sure that the second I stop looking at this thread, my DT will magically become a hell of a lot less ‘useless’.

13 Likes

I prefer to think of it as… unfinished. A work in progress. :sunglasses:

I really like my digitakt as it is and dont regret the purchase one minute. Would do it again without hesitation. I just feel pissed by how elektron change. Not so long ago you didnt see any promise and bam! What a surprise! Like the great instrument update on rytm,md, drive on a4 and all…a bit like ot tc recently. But now,that seem just promise and lie, bad marketing com.Like they play their consumer, …Do they really belived to release it before end of year, or was it just to fuel the hesitant to buy?? What about transfer for rytm? Overbridge for dt?? What about going back to the old scheme, working in shadow, and tell the world when ready?? Of course your work didnt fuel the sale when you do that, but consumer are happy and grateful. If they didnt need to act like this at the silver age, i cant understand they need to act like this now. we just have falze promise and that is the result. More and more like apple, producing some of the best laptop, but being a company you could just hate disrespecting us. Well to the defender of elektron as boutique/human company, really think this time is over since the silver, they are not our friends, but seller. It was once done with love, like apple, but its now done for love of money. Like the same old money/ ego game.

2 Likes

EX-ACT-LY!!! Same here, i feel kinda lost too without having a chance to get my stuff OFF the machine. Lets hope that the DT is the ‘one exception’. I dont remember such a mess with ANY of the other boxes. I know that with every new elektron box they added more and more features (due user requests) in its life circle - which improved the functionality in a good way. every time. But never before i felt like a “forced” beta tester… for such a loooong time:( wont sell my machine, but i ant to have a finished product. as much as i love the elektron boxes and the company behind it, when it comes to the DT i can only say: ‘GET YOUR S**T TOGETHER, ELEKTRON!’

3 Likes

We will be unable to monitor this thread full of occasionally provocative replies (and many flags) quite as effectively as normal over the coming days, so it’ll be closed momentarily (a brief time-out) to allow y’all to cool - especially whilst we all should have better things to worry about - most other threads seem to be fine and civilised, but this one has a toxic magnetism which is sadly bringing out the worst in people - it shouldn’t be necessary, but unfortunately it is - the thread has already received attention from three moderators and it shows no sign of resolving peacefully - so we’ll close it for further comments for a few days and you can tackle the issues with a more peaceful outlook hopefully when we’re here to monitor it properly and you’re all chilled on mince pies and brandy or whatever

thanks for your understanding :thup:

:christmas_tree::gift:

edit: thread open

14 Likes

I sold mine last week but to be clear I really like the machine and will certainly pick one up again once the development becomes more clear.

I don’t understand the overreaction to the delay in a firmware update. I do understand the frustration with progress of overbridge.

This box def needs a couple more filter options, a master comp, and obviously a way to back it up. If elektron adds a mono machine in digitakt format I’ll be back quick fast!

3 Likes

ITT: “we’re angry”
“Calm down”
“You’re fanboys”
“We’re not”
“We want updates”
“Wait for them”
“No”

X1000

3 Likes

what’s ITT?

“In the Thread”, if I had to guess?

Mines been a goldmine away with the family over Christmas. Single cycles from my Nephews violin for the win.

8 Likes

That’s the one

1 Like

That’s really cool. I want to hear what you’ve made with this

1 Like

Sorry, but this is bull…!

You wanna tell us it‘s ok to release unfinished stuff aslong custumors do a proper research if the product is already running properly …

This means if i buy a product, no matter which kind of product, i should first do an own research if it does what promised?

I see myself next time in the apple store asking if the new iphone is already doing pictures like expected …

Isn‘t it better, comparing to fairness to customers to say:
Hey, we have a good product, it‘s not finally developed, but we already want to share it with you …
Anything else is fooling customers with illusions!

This is how a fanboy (which i‘ve never been) becomes a pissed boy!

3 Likes

No, not at all…
I just wanted to pull the ol reverso maneuver to show that the fanboy/not fanboy narrative can be flipped on it’s head… And later I said I shouldn’t have done that as it only causes a stir… And then I put up a silly apologetic video with a puppy, and now I’m saying this… :slight_smile:

Somewhere in there I explain that really I just want people to be happy and I posted old advice about how to be smart buying music gear these days, never do I say it’s ok for companies to do this, but I explain how to avoid getting caught up in it… That’s all, just want people to be happy…

4 Likes

If you’ve read this forum then you’ll see how impatient people are regarding delays. If dates get pushed back people will complain then as well.

So, here’s what we know. Whichever happens, people will get mad and complain- however! one of those scenarios earns money!

If the item doesn’t meet your specifications for ownership- return it.

2 Likes

Not aiming this at you (some people have been a bit upset with me recently ,so want to ensure you don’t get that way), however the plethora of threads bemoaning the lack of midi on the analog boxes is testament to just this.

People do not research things before they buy, and then it seems they are the angriest ones complaining.

Of course you can argue that in this day and age, some things that would be considered ‘basic’ in terms of functionality should be included by default. And there’s probably value in that argument, however anyone that’s been in this little bubble of ours for long enough,knows that ‘industry standard’ and ‘basic functionality’ aren’t really things that exist in synth world.

1 Like

:thup::thup::thup::thup::thup:

Let’s make a petition on internet!!

Yeah unfortunately research is necessary when making purchases. It has always been this way, it’s why things like consumer reports exist. It why people review apps, food establishments, services, and products.
Companies have been putting out unfinished products for years, Apple patches phones usually in the first week to kill bugs, GOTY editions of games are really the only way to buy a bug free game, etc. And really those are only two examples.
this is not ideal or right or proper or ok or, whatever one wants to call it, but it is the way things are.
As a consumer one protects themselves by doing research. It is no longer the day and age where a company is trusted to take care of their customers. This is of course unfortunate.

3 Likes