Status update on Digitakt OS

It’s not “blindly” when you’re purchasing something based on a feature set advertised by the manufacturer. It’s quite reasonable for a customer to assume that those features will be in place and working as advertised when they receive it.

If you bought a new car and found that one of the wheels didn’t turn smoothly or the brakes failed 10% of the time you’d quite rightly be furious as you expect something to perform it’s basic functions as advertised. You would expect the manufacturer to have thoroughly testesd it before it was released, not to wait for the first batch of drivers to start crashing before you worried about fixing the brakes.

4 Likes

Sure but a lot of this is about features not promised, only expected. I agree it should be stable, backup available, improved chain model. No argument from me on these points. Elektron can be slow, but they always deliver on their promise, and sometimes give bonus. Considering they have apologized for the delay they know the issues and will do their best to deliver soon as per message.

2 Likes

If anything, this thread has me wanting again for that Digitakt I’ve heard so much about lately.

2 Likes

I never mentioned expectations, only advertised features. Like, for example, the 8 tracks of midi sequencing. That’s an absolutely fundamental promoted feature of the Digitakt, and even now, months after release, it’s still crashing the device for loads of users. That’s totally unnaceptable.

4 Likes

I would not be furious I would return said car, there are laws in place that protect buyers. I also wouldn’t pre order a car based on a spec sheet and a visual model, which is what a lot of individual did with the digitakt. I consider that a pretty blind purchase. As well as I would not sit around waiting for vaguely “promised” feature that would make the car more to my liking, which is what a lot of digitakt users are doing.
You also wouldn’t buy a car that has said defects and then hold onto it for an extended period of time in the hopes that it will eventually be suitable for your needs.

Not saying you meaning you are the one doing these things. It’s general summations of reading the forum

1 Like

But would you sit around a forum saying, well Subaru are aware of the issues and said they would fix it, so why are people complaining about the brakes?

1 Like

Not one bit. I’d be more like why aren’t these people returning their potentially dangerous, life threatening Subaru.

Of course comparing a synth to a car is a little ridiculous but I would like to point out that my car was currently recalled for faulty airbags, if faulty airbag was a known or suspected issue at purchase the car would not have been purchased, I wouldn’t have said its cool Honda will eventually fix it. Simple as that.

1 Like

Fair enough

Did you only read my first sentence?

No, I only quoted your first sentence, as that’s what I was commenting on in the wider conversation.

I’d suggest it’s entirely feasible that If you’d been looking forward to it for some time and waiting for weeks for a pre-order to arrive, then perhaps you’d have a conflict of interests because you might reasonably expect early issues to be resolved quite quickly, not six months later?

Internet arguments are the most worthwhile arguments.

2 Likes

One man’s ‘argument’ is another man’s ‘lively discussion’

And when there’s a few, it becomes a mass debating session.

But you did see my comment about stability? I assume this is what you are also referring to.

Perhaps some good old fashioned christmas pragmatism would be helpful here!

There is a not-small list of acknowledged DT bugs in Elektron’s queue. They are working on fixing them; of that, I have no doubt. Elektron has had a super busy year, thanks to their Digitakt being so successful, and of course all their MKIIs, which means their dev and support teams have OODLES of work to do. That means it will take extra time to fix stuff.

Expanding their work force is probably not even a quick solution; getting the right kind of folk on board can’t be an easy task.

The humans at Elektron (in my short experience) produce very, very special stuff. I understand that it takes time, and I (and many others) are very grateful for the open feedback about changing release dates.

We should expect that our expensive kit works properly; and I think it will. I think Elektron wouldn’t have it any other way. I have faith in them.

Good things come to those who wait :sunrise_over_mountains:

Sermon over! Pour me a champagne and turn on the sound gear baby!

3 Likes

Also everyone seems to have forgotten that Overbridge was supposed to be paid software and is now free. Surely that’s a decent peace offering to apologise for update delays?

3 Likes

Mine rocks as hard as any of their boxes. I bought it for jamming in bed and it’s turned out to be a lot more than that. It’s a serious tool and will only get better. Can’t believe comment like “toy” and “paper weight” not sure we’re talking about the same device.

3 Likes

Has Music Radar ever given a bad review for anything?

One thing about ”mainstream” Digitakt reviews in general that was odd was that absolutely no-one mentioned the constant crashes and freezes their review unit must have had with its early firmware. Makes me think most mainstream ”reviews” should actually be taken as advertisements these days.

2 Likes

DT is not bad… it’s just unfinished.

1 Like