Starting a modular

I hadn’t considered Eurorack this way. Only as a way to create a super (most likely mono) synth with crazy FX…
Would you mind developing a bit this aspect, please?

there are quite a few modules with memory options, just not as a whole. For example the make noise tempi lets you store 4 banks with 16 states (patterns), the Rene lets you store 4 sets of user defined scales (limited to 16 notes of the western scale). This may not seem like a lot but once you start looking at the modulation options and modes that can happen here, it becomes quite a bit. There are so many other module options too for storing patterns and voltages that have more storage and flexibility (ornament & crime, temps utile are a couple that come to mind). You can easily build a 40 minute set with a limited amount, I’ve seen people do this with 7U at 104HP.

You build a set, record video and audio as you go, release and perform then rinse and repeat. In the process of achieving a live set you’ll usually end up with lots of usable material for later things, and with some of the sampler modules that have been released you can regurgitate it back into your future live sets.

1 Like

Speaking of interesting modules that you could assemble into a unique system, Modor’s Formant Filter for Eurorack seems to now be generally available. This is one of the more interesting pieces of the Modor NF-1 synth(s), now standalone.

Would it be better to get a semi-modular unit to expand into modular?

If so, which is the better: 0-Coast, Phenol, Moog Mother?

Thanks

It depends on what kind of modular. If you’re getting into Eurorack and buy a Phenol, they’re different formats and you’d have to get some sort of unit to convert the banana cable format to the Eurorack mini-jack format. So I’d cross off the Phenol if you think it’s a gateway (to Eurorack). I’d imagine it works with Serge and/or Buchla, but don’t spend a lot of time reading about those formats because it’s a distraction.

That would leave O-coast or Mother 32. I think the first is more abstract and the Mother is more straight forward subtractive synthesis. If you have a decent handle of subtractive and want a gateway not just into modular, but into the different philosophical approaches (I’m probably overstating that), you’d probably enjoy the O-coast, but again, the Mother is straightforward and totally capable. Probably more, because doesn’t it have a sequencer in there too?

If you’re not sure you want to dive in and buy an expensive case though, the semi-modular approach can be useful. I had a Doepfer Dark Energy and I still really think they’re fantastic and sort of unnecessarily forgotten.

1 Like

Thanks! That’s what I was thinking.

Then again- if I get finally get my “Jefferson’s” job- I think I’m just going to take the plunge with a Make Noise Shared system and just learn as I go. Quite an investment- but I think I need a complete setup because I currently have no idea what I’m doing.

I feel like you’ve made posts on this forum about being more ‘in the box’, so jumping to a Make Noise Shared System is pretty much the polar opposite. Just keep that in mind.

If you want to mesh ‘the box’ with outside the box, I’d recommend looking into an ES-8 or another Expert Sleepers module. It’s been a great tool for blending my modular stuff with MAX (when I feel like occasionally ditching the Octatrack in my workflow).

1 Like

Oh no, don’t think a complete setup will help understanding :smiley:
Actually, practicing the 0-Coast for a year I still discover new ideas while playing.

I do believe 0-Coast is very good to calm the modular GAS, there is plenty to do with it :slight_smile:

As far as sound, yes. But what’s really enticing me into modular is it’s generative capabilities where you can plug in a few patches and make a few tweaks and the sound runs off dizzy. Also sampling capabilities.

Also- I want to make Raymond Scott sort of things with an element of generativeness

YES! That is brilliant! Okay- it looks like that’s the route I’m going to go in. I guess I’ll have to go at modular piece by piece then

Yeah- but I feel everything done in the computer is very purposeful. An actual modular system could provide a more twiddlely process- also woukld probably be a lot of fun. In addition to being able to generate random sounds/loops to bring into more abstract projects.

Thanks for the suggestion!

1 Like

Don’t get a Shared System. Make your own system. That’s the beauty of modular. Make Noise makes some great modules, yeah, but so do others.

BTW: for small starter units, look also at Plankton Electronics “Ants” and Pittsburgh Modular’s SV-1.

Ants is a little more unusual, like 0-Coast; SV-1 is a little more traditional, like Mother-32, but with two oscillators.

I think that like 0-Coast, ‘Ants’ is a purely standalone box; while the SV-1 is a Eurorack module (and the ‘blackbox’ form I linked just has a simple case around it that can be easily removed).

1 Like

Computers have Max and Reaktor and PD and all that. You can easily make computers non deliberate. Just stay out of boring old DAWs. Plenty of unique sequencers made in some of those tools that can be put to use, like Colorflex.

1 Like

Another option for semi-modular consideration is the Roland System 1m. Although it’s digital, it does provide a lot of I/O & features for the money and is capable of full MIDI control (p-locks) alongside CV…

1 Like

invest 600 bucks
get a monomachine and enjoy 6 voices of mono madness…
and if you still can’t stand the need… buy a 0-coast… that should do it…
2000 bucks for a modular system is a lot of money and the results won’t be much better…
they might look better… but sound? getting into it?
and the big drawback will come when you try to sell a modular after you realized it is not your thing…
I think it is safe to say that you will loose a lot of money and then the tedious process of selling piece by piece as it would be a miracle if anyone wants your system in one piece…
just think it over…

1 Like

I agree with the above stating to get yourself an Expert Sleepers device and route Reaktor or VCV or the like to a semi-modular. Way more than capable.

In terms of which semi-modular, I would strongly suggest you try them out for yourself. They are all wonderful devices and all very different from one another. I convinced myself I don’t know how many times to get an O-Coast and each time I went in to try it out I could not get into it. Certainly not from it in wont of anything; the sound of it was just not my thing. Love my M32 and, yes, while subtractve, it can, by itself, go off the rails pretty quickly. (Assignable out FTW!)

Don’t sleep on Nozoid: http://nozoid.com/

Starting with a semimodular is a good idea imo.
All semimodulars mentioned above are a great choice and a lot bang for the buck.
0-coast is the most interesting for me, and generative stuff is doable just with this unit. But I would not underestimate what a single mother could do. The sequencer is a great thing to have.

Reaktor, VCV or similar with an ES8 or other expert sleepers modules talk perfectly to eurorack. ES8 is a very powerful and convenient solution. The price for it went down recently. It‘s amazing what you can do with a laptop or an ipad together with a few nice modules.

Another powerful option would be a potent midi to cv module like the Expert sleepers FH1 or the endorphins shuttle control. For computer/ipad as well as together with a octatrack or digitakt… You also can multiply the possibilities of a small modular this way…

External cheap sequencers are also a great addition where you can save money and rack space. arturia beatstep pro, keystep or korg sq1 are popular choices.

I think these are some of the best options the save some money but get a powerful, small modular setup.

1 Like

amen

devils advocate…:smiling_imp:

@Ryan get a shared system!

I don’t know anyone that has regretted it (unless they spent their lunch money on it and ended up getting a divorce…if you are doing that…then don’t even go down the path of eurorack).

It’s seriously been my favorite system. I tried expanding it recently just to end up putting things back in the original order (with tempi added of course). It will give you so much to work with and will be good for quite some time.

When I first started this trip, I did the whole toe in the water with a PGH System whatever…it was like a 700$ semi modular…yeah that lasted about a couple weeks before I sold it get something bigger. Sure I learned about some functions (functions which you probably already know since you’ve used an analog four and analog rytm), but I had 0 fun with it. It really just became some desktop synth with limited functions controlled by external sources. The shared system is self contained, you have sequencing, clocks and fx all right there no need for anything other than a set of headphones. Lately I’ve also challenged myself to only use the patch cables they included with it and even then I can still make interesting patches.

I definitely wish I had just saved up and picked one up when I started.

2 Likes

Yeah get the shared system mate
Otherwise in about 2 weeks you will have bought them all anyway, plus shitloads more modules for even more money.
You’ll be like
“fuck I should have just bought the shared system”
Hang on, thats my story not yours :joy: :money_mouth_face:

3 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Make Noise 0-coast