Make Noise 0-coast

Raise the Overtones with the balance knob
And be aware that the dynamics is a low pass gate - so if it isn’t at 100%, some high cut filtering happens. It should be no problem to make the shrillest bass sounds.

6 Likes

This

cool track, thank you, now i want to have one too.

thanks, I didn’t know the low-pass-gate-dynamics-pot-thingie,

I think I had it fully open (CW) but I’m gonna check this tonight.

cheers :slight_smile:

Hey dudes. Good thread.

I want to get into the modular world and extend what my ‘traditional’ instruments can do - the MN Morphagene has blown my tiny little mind.

As a starting point - to get going - would something like the MN O Coast be a good investment? The sounds I’m hearing from it are killer, it seems to play nicely with the Octatrack, and I guess it can be expanded with ‘big’ eurorack modules as time / money allows. I really like the textural stuff it can do even more than the ‘standard’ modular arps/melodic patterns.

yes, for sure

agreed to all of that

Hey all,

Been using the trigger out from a Roland TR-09 into the 0-coast… didn’t realize this could be potentially damaging to the 0-coast without an attenuator. No apparent damage so far, does anyone have any knowledge / insight regarding an appropriate signal strength for the 0-coast, and if the TR trigger output is too hot / strong for it?

I had the 0 coast a few days. While I can say that I have been infected by the modular bug (via the software “racks” Reaktor and VCVRack), this time the hardware did not do it for me. That sound is not for everyone, the same as the A4 may not fit all tastes.

I did, however, like the design and build quality, and the way it inspires experimentation, and can see that this is a very good way into modular thinking.

There should be no problem.
Many others use it to clock their modular.

Edit:
@darenager wrote in the TR8S thread that the trigger of the TR08 puts out 12 V.
Have to check the 0-coast manual

By reading the manual, I got the impression that the 0-coast could handle hot / robust, line level signals… I just don’t understand cv / gate very well yet. I’ll def have to ReturnTTFM to get a better idea. I was just curious if anybody here knew for certain.

modular gate level usually is 10V - i am sure it will not be destroyed by 10,1 V. to be safe, i would write to MN and ask them about the tolerances. i don’t think, you will find that information in the manual

2 Likes

that’s a boss little setup. It looks like the Bassbot is driving the 0-coast (?), I wonder if its signal is comparable to the -09…

It finally works. My make noise 0-coast, buss powered and working as a module in my rack.

11 Likes

Just wondering how people are getting on with the arp on the 0-coast? Pretty basic compared to the OT but I do kinda like the latch mode.

One thing I am struggling with is the tempo sync of the arp though - seems like the arp only has a 1:1 relationship with the midi clock, which isn’t much use to me. Instead i thought I could use the midi b gate out of the OC to drive the tempo input - i.e. send gate to the OC from the OT on midi b and patch the midi b gate out to the tempo in. This just causes the OC arp to freeze up:(

Anyone else have any other solution? The OC manuals doesnt offer much here…

Have you set the tempo to not receive midi-clock? Might fix it, if it only responds to the gate as trigger and not the midi as well.

@Johanheinsen yep tried that. No joy, just freezes the arp. And would have thought any gate received at tempo input gets added to the midi clock (at least that’s what the manual says) :frowning:

How much more expensive would be a modular version of 0-coast functionality using full modules?

Loopop has some handy hints for how to make best use of a 0-Coast, alone and with other devices:

https://loopopmusic.com/hacking-make-noise-0-coast-14-things-you-may-not-know-it-could-do

(while some of these have been covered in Make Noise’s own tutorials, Loopop explains them well).

https://loopopmusic.com/make-noise-0-coast-and-friends-10-pairing-ideas-worth-considering

2 Likes

I would say 0-coast in modules is at least 2k