Starting a modular

I agree with the above stating to get yourself an Expert Sleepers device and route Reaktor or VCV or the like to a semi-modular. Way more than capable.

In terms of which semi-modular, I would strongly suggest you try them out for yourself. They are all wonderful devices and all very different from one another. I convinced myself I don’t know how many times to get an O-Coast and each time I went in to try it out I could not get into it. Certainly not from it in wont of anything; the sound of it was just not my thing. Love my M32 and, yes, while subtractve, it can, by itself, go off the rails pretty quickly. (Assignable out FTW!)

Don’t sleep on Nozoid: http://nozoid.com/

Starting with a semimodular is a good idea imo.
All semimodulars mentioned above are a great choice and a lot bang for the buck.
0-coast is the most interesting for me, and generative stuff is doable just with this unit. But I would not underestimate what a single mother could do. The sequencer is a great thing to have.

Reaktor, VCV or similar with an ES8 or other expert sleepers modules talk perfectly to eurorack. ES8 is a very powerful and convenient solution. The price for it went down recently. It‘s amazing what you can do with a laptop or an ipad together with a few nice modules.

Another powerful option would be a potent midi to cv module like the Expert sleepers FH1 or the endorphins shuttle control. For computer/ipad as well as together with a octatrack or digitakt… You also can multiply the possibilities of a small modular this way…

External cheap sequencers are also a great addition where you can save money and rack space. arturia beatstep pro, keystep or korg sq1 are popular choices.

I think these are some of the best options the save some money but get a powerful, small modular setup.

1 Like

amen

devils advocate…:smiling_imp:

@Ryan get a shared system!

I don’t know anyone that has regretted it (unless they spent their lunch money on it and ended up getting a divorce…if you are doing that…then don’t even go down the path of eurorack).

It’s seriously been my favorite system. I tried expanding it recently just to end up putting things back in the original order (with tempi added of course). It will give you so much to work with and will be good for quite some time.

When I first started this trip, I did the whole toe in the water with a PGH System whatever…it was like a 700$ semi modular…yeah that lasted about a couple weeks before I sold it get something bigger. Sure I learned about some functions (functions which you probably already know since you’ve used an analog four and analog rytm), but I had 0 fun with it. It really just became some desktop synth with limited functions controlled by external sources. The shared system is self contained, you have sequencing, clocks and fx all right there no need for anything other than a set of headphones. Lately I’ve also challenged myself to only use the patch cables they included with it and even then I can still make interesting patches.

I definitely wish I had just saved up and picked one up when I started.

2 Likes

Yeah get the shared system mate
Otherwise in about 2 weeks you will have bought them all anyway, plus shitloads more modules for even more money.
You’ll be like
“fuck I should have just bought the shared system”
Hang on, thats my story not yours :joy: :money_mouth_face:

3 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Make Noise 0-coast

Guys,

Any thoughts on the 0-Coast vs something like the PM Lifeforms SV-1? I think I can get a (discontinued) PM 10.1 semi-modular from an online store but wondered how the SV-1 stacked up? The 0-Coast is still right up on my list to get my synth-life started but the options from other makers are still broad…

I jumped into euro about 5 years ago, at one point I had over 12U, at 126HP. It got to a point where I would make the most complex patches that once set up, do their own thing. They were not musical at all, I used to hate dodgy glitch music like Devine before I got into euro, thought it was all dodgy bleep bloop music. Now I love it, and when I hear a Devine patch I want to understand how he has made these crazy sounds.

I have now reached a point where it no longer excites me like it once did, I get a new module thinking it will make me excited again, it doesn’t. I have sold a full 126 HP row of it now, bought a DT and DN. This has brought the excitement back for me. Maybe I just like the process of buying and learning new equipment, creating some songs with them, then sell them and buy new stuff.

Eurorack is ridiculously addictive and you will constantly want to add to your collection, it is also an amazing machine that can do mind blowing things. The learning process is steep but rewarding. Just know that if you get bored of it like I have you will lose a fair bit of cash trying to sell it off piece by piece and it will take a long time to sell. I have modules I have been trying to get rid of for over 2 years. People only want the shiny new hyped stuff these days, not the stuff that is 5 years old(myself included).

Also, PM me if you want to buy some euro stuff in the UK, ha!

1 Like

I’d suggest developing a very clear idea of what you want to achieve in the modular world before jumping in. It is deceptively expensive and you’ll almost always never have enough utilities. I definitely made the mistake of jumping in without fully understanding what I wanted to accomplish, added additional cases, and now have modules that go in and out of the case(s) as I change my mind about this or that. I’m at the point where I personally enjoy using modular for feedback patches / drones / noise and will start selling off drum voices / sequencers / etc. I get more useful / quick results for more “tonal” music working with a synth box (Virus A in my case), than I ever could with Euro / modular. I don’t plan to ever fully exit modular, but I would caution people to really think about what they want to accomplish

also a valid thing to do :slight_smile:

me too, but Devine can do these things with every gear you give him. I’m far away from that (I know you are very close according to your instagram :slight_smile: ) Same when I hear an Autechre track, I’m just curious to know how to do this.

I only have 1 row of 84 hp modular and instead of going crazy and build several rows I decided to even downsizing to 48 hp + 0-coast and A4 (thanks to pamela’s new workout and all the new µ modules), and I think I will like it much better. The digitakt taught me that I handle can smaller instruments with some limitations and more focussed much better. At least I believe that at the moment

1 Like

but some of their most amazing stuff with elektrons :loopy:

1 Like

someone talk me out of buying a make noise shared system plus.

1 Like

Hi?
I own Moog Subsequent 37 and OT mkii.
I am considering Eurorack Module which can be used with OT.
The Eurorack Case is determined by Tiptop mantis.
It’s cheap, light and durable!
How can I fill a 104HP x2 and be beautiful?
If you know of a good module configuration, please recommend it to me.
I would like to build a complete system due to 208hp of one synth.
Individual module recommendations are also good.
Thank you.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/819294

You could start with using the cue outputs of the Octatrack for some external audio processing. So you need:

• an interface like the Xaoc Sewastopol II
  • an audio processor (clouds / rainmaker)
  • maybe an analog filter (many options here)
  • something to modulate (e.g. a Maths which can be triggered by the Sewastopol)

Another option would be to use the modular as a soundsource for your Octatrack. Depending on the style of music you are making you could have a look at the noise engineering stuff

3 Likes

Ok, i think it’s the right place to find good advice.
I just bought a Basimilus Iteritas Alter :shushing_face:
I don’t know anything on modular :shushing_face:
I have read all this thread.
I know what i want.
Just a little case with few modules that will permit to honestly play BIA.
I already have sequencer with CV.
So i’m looking for a :

• VCA
  • LFO
  • Fx (delay, flanger, reverb)
  • Filter

Would you mind to give me few module names that would reasonably do the job. That would permit to read less but better :face_with_monocle: :nerd_face: :sunglasses:

Cheers all o’ya nice people

I don’t like menu diving, so keep that in mind:

VCA: Veils, dplpg, LxD (could also moonlight as filter), uVCA
LFO: ochd
Fx: FX Aid
Filter: Ripples

(Disting does it all…but menuy)

Using modulargrid.net search function is fun…and very dangerous.

1 Like

+1 for uVCA. I currently use the Doepfer dual VCA which is very compact HP-wise but is really deep so might not fit in a lot of skiffs/small cases.

Ochd is brilliant for “I just need some modulation here”.

Intellijel uVCF is a nice simple good sounding compact filter. ALM MUM M8 is lovely, really punchy and gritty if you like that.

Erica synths Dual FX is a decent solution for delay/reverb. FX in eurorack is expensive though. If you have some guitar fx pedals already you can get modules that interface with pedal level.

1 Like

Definitely but, jesus, save a VCA input for attenuation. Thing is wild.

2 Likes

Yeah you need to make sure that if you don’t have attenuation on the CV inputs that you have either spare VCAs or some attenuverters. My system is really small so I get away with a dual VCA and the 1U Duatt. If no 1U row then I’d be looking at Triplatt - a very useful and simple module.

2 Likes

Pamela’s new workout. Very configurable and small, 8 channels of synced LFO, triggers, envelopes, etc. that can probably modulate every input of the BIA and alsotrigger it

3 Likes