Standalone Mixer / Audio Interface as small as possible

It’s pretty big for just ADAT compared to the Digiface. Too big for what fits in my pedalboard anyway.

MOTU interfaces are 4.5 cm

Has no one mentioned teenage engineering in this thread??
TX-6 - 12 input mixer + sound card
TP-7 - 6 input mixer + sound card

Have used the tX-6 as a sound card in lots of different situations…tracking, live , on site, surround sound playback

1 Like

Just throwing out options.

If you can deal with just 8 channels of adat:
https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/usbstreamer-box

Edit, you also might wanna look at seeing if you can build and mount something w/ the expert sleepers stuff

I’m trying to figure out how to get 24 in and outputs crammed in such a small space.
The only solution I found so far is going for a Digiface USB with 3 in and 3 output boxes from Datanoise. (that’s if his input box stays the same size as the output box which is 14x6x2.5cm).
7 devices in total is flexible but not ideal I guess for every situation plus everything together is pretty pricey so I’m hoping to find a ‘better’ solution. :slight_smile:

I personally find the TX-6 way too overpriced for what it offers and lacking enough outputs to be useful. Also the small built is just to show off and in no way practical.

2 Likes

I mean…it is exactly what you’re asking for, tiny mixer/interface with 12 inputs on mini jacks! I find it extremely useful, though I agree it’s expensive.

sounds like you need to shop for a soldering station 1st :upside_down_face:

I’ve got what feels like a stupid question but I do not know the terminologies to find the answer myself. How does a signal go from 1/4” outputs to whatever these units are using? Does the user have to buy multiple other boxes? Is there an esoteric cable I’ve never heard of? Every time I look at higher-end interfaces I just get confused because I don’t usually see a way to get the music into the interface, for lack of a better way of phrasing it.

1 Like

DB-25 D-Sub breakout connectors and Phoenix Connectors are the words you are looking for. Former is much more common in general whilst the latter is generally reserved for use in installations.
Breakout connectors can also simplify studio work since you can move eight channels worth of analog material through one cable, instead of needing eight individual cables.

These mentioned interfaces can also talk to one another and to other clients through an AVB network (or a direct device-to-device network cable) to achieve low latencies at long cable lengths as well as guaranteed quality.

1 Like

three bastl besties, one for percussive parts, one for everything else (melody, harmony, FX, etc), then they both output to the third bestie to sum and have a final stereo out >:3

1 Like

So one would run instruments into a breakout box of some kind, and then run the breakout box to the interface via a DB25 cable?

That is one way (if you for example have a preamp box with breakout connectors available that you’d like to use), but as the name implies, the DB-25 can also be “broken out” into several standard jack or XLR connectors, like so:

For Phoenix Connectors things get a little more electrical and unless you are doing installations you can generally disregard them (I haven’t had too much experience with them, so I’m not going to go into specifics).

1 Like