Standalone Maschine+

A lot of people are unloading expansions at cheap prices on KVR ever since Komplete 13 was announced. I picked up a few: prices I paid ranged from as low as $5 to $20. Most are selling their expansions in the $12-$15 range I think. And NI starts its November sale in a few weeks. Expansions should be $25 each then, as well as the most of the rest of its plugins/effects (but not Komplete - that’s summer sale).

3 Likes

Thanks. The expansions are a pretty inconsequential and temporary problem as I intend to upgrade to Komplete 13U soon- which will probably come with all the expansions anyway.

Now you might ask, “why upgrade for software instruments after making by such a fuss about getting away from the computer?”

To which I say, “that’s a good point.”

And then I’m mumbled to myself for a bit and then murmur “Renoise or something…I don’t know”

4 Likes

Gotcha. I saw you posting about vouchers, so I thought you were looking to use them on expansions.

2 Likes

Yeah, I should have gotten two expansions instead of vouchers- but thanks for looking out!

1 Like

I’m totally with you on this. As an MK3 owner already the plus is very underwhelming. I fell into that whole daw less life 2 years ago and since I’ve had to sell everything but my Maschine and Laptop (hard times are real) I realized how frivolous daw less can be. At the end of the day it all goes back to the computer anyways for recording/mixing, so why even disconnect from the computer to begin with? My laptop is much more powerful than any standalone on the market today and I’d rather utilize it than vilify it.

I totally understand folks who spend 40+ hours a week on computers not wanting to stare at another screen for their passion/hobby, but I have had an MK3 for 3 years and I’ve never needed to look at my laptop for anything except naming projects and some midi editing if the controller wasn’t accurate enough. Imo Maschine is enhanced by a computer, not held back by one. I can load an ungodly amount of sounds/groups and FX without any hiccups or CPU issues because my PC can handle it, and from what I’ve seen M+ can’t match my PC.

All in all I know it’s a personal preference, but I can’t help but feel like people are falling into the same trap I did. It’s like how people want to avoid computers but have no problem using an iPad for music which is just a portable touch screen computer imo.

For me, embracing using a PC and keeping my set up very simple has made me a much more efficient and proficient beat maker/musician. The best groove box I can recommend to anyone is a powerful PC with an audio interface. Everything else is secondary.

8 Likes

Very well put :+1:t4:

It feels like, to me, the M+ is NI growing their customer base by tapping into the Dawless community.

Otherwise, I would’ve thought NI would add some features to the M+ the MK3 doesn’t support or have.

Who knows, only time will tell if NI rolls out features unique to the M+

Another Day with this instrument is making this whole music making thing a ton of fun again:

4 Likes

Is there really only 50 Kontakt presets on M+ in standalone or am I missing something?

In the Browser->Instruments->All Categories->Kontakt->All Banks->All Types->All Characters I get 50 results only?

In comparison Massive has 1931 results, Monark 428, Prism 374, Reaktor 415, Retromachines 218… so 50 only in total for Kontakt seems a bit meager… I did a rescan but nothing changed and in setting all libraries are installed.

50 kontakt presets here aswell…

I guess there is market for a AR controller, with a huge ram, and unlimited voices… Elektron are you hearing us? :wink:

1 Like

Agree with some posters here that it is a bit strange seeing the new fuss over the Maschine when your an old MK3 user. However this is good for old and new users as im sure on the Software side which has been very poorly lacking in updates over the years will now change for the better (hopefully)!!

I would like to think NI are now busy beavering away porting more of Komplete over to Maschine+

I bought one for taking home as my studio setup is not in my house so looking forward to playing with it in the kitchen or lounge at nights and weekends so will sell off my standard MKIII

5 Likes

sketch using the new clip feature.

I think I gonna grab a cheap used mk3 now that people want to upgrade. still use my komplete kontrol keyboard a lot but the sampling side is neglected unfortunately

2 Likes

@DataStrain I think what you’re missing here is some people work in their home office/studio 8-10 hours a day, in my case editing video. Do I want to spend another 2-3 hours in the same room at the same desk making music? Hell no. Maschine + is expensive, yes, but allows me to get into a different physical space to enjoy my hobby. Also, no latency BS that computers deal with as your project gets very big. That’s a very big deal as well.

6 Likes

I think one aspect of ”dawless” is also live performance.

1 Like

How’s everybody doing with CPU limitations? I seem to be running into issues on a relatively sparse track (four groups only) and systematically eliminating each group doesn’t seem to find one particular culprit. Song is fine in the verse but not the chorus, which makes me think it’s an issue of polyphony. Just curious if anyone else has bumped into similar!

Hi, yes this can happen fast esp. when you are using all those nice expansion group presets :sunglasses: or those reverbs, long release pads etc.

Shift-Erase is my new best friend, getting rid of all sounds/Fx i do not need.

This guy shows some cpu saving tips

3 Likes

I’ve been trying to find information like latency numbers and audio and midi jitter on the Maschine+.

What’s your source to the Maschine+ having no latency?

The talk of cpu issues really sucked the gas right out of me. Won’t say from which end.

3 Likes

indeed