Standalone Maschine+

maschine+ has 8.7ms total latency, there is a status information under „audio“ settings.

sorry for the bad picture :v:

3 Likes

As I said I understand where the folks who spend 40+ hours a week not wanting to stare at screens, or in your case pursue a hobby where you usually work, but that same money could be used on a real nice laptop and you could take it anywhere, with battery to boot! With Maschines audio interface I get about 12ms latency which to me is just peachy. Has never caused me any issues. As for updates and drivers I’ve personally not had any issues with my current laptop.

Fwiw I’m not hating on people who want Maschine plus or dawlessness in general, I just know what it’s like to be on a hype train and not have the right priorities in mind. It took me a long time to realize I had everything I needed available on my laptop that I was otherwise spending hundres/thousands on gear to do the same thing. Just food for though, sorry if I came off harsh in the previous post!

2 Likes

It might sound silly but I don’t mind the CPU limitations in M+ standalone… it could have been more powerful but:

• It doesn’t run hot
  • There is no fan
  • Limitations spark creativity!
  • You can setup send effects to save CPU
  • You can resample synths and effects on the M+
  • You can flatten whole sections by resampling a few bars on the M+

Back in the day I made tracks in 4 channel MOD files with 8 bit mono samples and later in Fasttracker 2 you could do so much more and it still didn’t even have filters or effects, you made delays by copying a track shifting it some steps and turning the volume down…

Limitations are good :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

I think the 2.9 ms output latency is really good and so is 8.7 ms roundtrip latency, you need a pretty high end audio interface and good computer to achieve that without crackling/artifacts.

At 44.1kHz sample rate:

64 samples = 1.45ms delay
128 samples = 2.9ms delay
256 samples = 5.8ms delay
512 samples = 11.6ms delay

I run 256 sample buffers most of the time on computers… so that is 5.8ms output latency.

1 Like

Even on a Mac Pro with ITB Maschine, when I start adding tons of full groups… you can only add so much. Definitely need to erase sounds from groups once I realize I’m not going to be using them. Maybe VST 3 support throughout will help CPU issues as I believe the major improvement with 3 is zero or low CPU usage for plugins that are idling at a given moment. They already converted one VST 3 plugin (Super 8) and I would guess full support is coming.

I would have some issues fingerdrumming with 12 ms latency to be honest

I had something that sounded like dropouts but were actually a result of automating Raum reverb size. So maybe check the section with an eye for those kinds of things?

1 Like

Yes, those groups can be cpu hungry, the guy in the vid points to the problem, those groups are full of fx/synth patches.

a double yes for those cpu saving features in vst3.

but i do not know how ni coded these plug-ins on maschine+, are they vst or some special version?

time will tell.

My approach to cpu savings ,in addition to delete unused sounds, is to split the preset groups in two parts.
part one = pads 1-8 for drums and part two, pads 9-16 synths/fx etc.

This way i can switch kits (drums) and mix&match sfx-kits (synths/fx) as i like without long loading times (super fast to switch drum kits) and high cpu hit while searching for sounds.

This is an easy task on the hardware.

Sweet, thanks for the information.

1 Like

Humm… I think i need to replace my maschine.

When i first got it, couldn´t connect to native access using my 5ghz wifi network, but i managed with my normal wifi.
I had a few crashes with Maschine but nothing to serious. I had 2 persistent bugs, though:
. Crackles when using certain plugins - specially fm8 - when cpu usage between 40%-60%;
. Could not save and reload any reaktor patch;
. If i tried to turn on my M+ when connected to the computer trough sub would freeze and i had once problem on restarting - it would get stucked in the initial loading menu.

Today when i was going to try a NI support solution to fix my reaktor, i plugged my maschine, got stuck in a update menu and it never started again. Before that i was trying to plugged it on when connected trough usb to my mac and it froze.

Anybody experienced this? Anybody has a magic solution? :smile:

@Fabitwo

I had the same issue with 5GHz WiFi when starting M+ for the first time and connecting my NI account… after the first firmware update I have been able to connect to both my 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks.

I had a crash when quickly switching Reaktor effects and also had them make no sound…

So I suspect these are software bugs and not hardware issues since we both experienced them… although the Maschine software has been around for long and the MK3 was the basis for the M+ I think it’s still early days for the M+ and some bugs need to be squashed…

I tried FM8 but have to say it’s pretty light on CPU, do you have a specific preset that causes issues? Can you share a project maybe? So I and others can test if we also get high CPU usage and issues?

since I have a pretty sh!tt% wifi which doesn’t work, I bought a usb ethernet adapter. actually it is for my switch but also works with maschine +

this

Hori Switch LAN Adapter

1 Like

Great idea mate! Thanx for taking the time to check it out. Here is a little project attached and on the group F, it started to crackle. The crackle is always present but becomes really intense if i play a bit with the macros of the fm8. I think that in my apparently deceased M+ this project was hiting something like 40% - cannot really confirm it right now.

Yeah, to have some litle bugs like this is no biggie, i only started to worried when my M+ got bricked :laughing:

Jazz One.mxprj (680.9 KB)

You got it working again ? that‘s great :+1:

But i got a question, what was the solution you got from NI support
for your Reaktor related problem?

New one arrived and connected to WiFi immediately. Updating now, but I have to go to work of course :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

No no its still not working :/. Just trying not to stress about it, since there is not a lot i can do… I dont really have a computer but i´ll try to borrow my girlfriends to see if i can make it work as a controller.

Regarding the reaktor problem they gave me this file that was supposed to help with the reset. I had done a system reset already and it didn´t work. Unfortunately i was not able to try their solution since it froze before i could try it.

Can´t you reload any Reaktor ensemble aswell?

Sorry I missed the part your M+ got bricked during the failed update :no_mouth:

I wonder if there is a kind of system mode, like holding function while powering on Elektron stuff, to do system restore or factory reset or something like that?

sorry to here that.
yes and no.

i can load/reaktor presets and save/load my projects with no bugs, but this was only true for the included factory presets. my own stuff and the ensembles you can find in Reaktor 6 Factory Content (Fullversion) or Reaktor User Library were load- but not save-able, btw you could save them but they stoped working after you would reload your project or even when using the undo function.

But when i tried the ensembles i made with Reaktor 5 this problem is not present. All of Reaktor 5 Factory ensembles are working with no issues. weird.

i also had some minor problems with my machine +. no connection, crashes (2x) during the installation of content packages, changing the audio connection or midi, when starting the controller mode, remove the sd card… But the firmware update went smoothly and after i changed the sd card and did a hard reset (in setting menu)
it seems to me that everything works a little better.

1 Like

yeah i was trying to hold “shift”+“power on” and went to controller mode. Now i pluged it to the computer and it works in controller mode. So i will be manage to use it during this weekend, before i send it back :partying_face:

I have now to agree with everybody that said that M+ was some kind of a very expensive controller :laughing:

2 Likes

Yeah what annoys me is that i did zero hacking, just used factory stuff…

2 Likes