Standalone Maschine+

Not sure about master level, good point. I’m not that familiar though so maybe others can chime in. Press up or down on the 4d Encoder to go between groups mixer and sounds mixer.

2 Likes

ahh, thanks!

Like @dolomick said, they have a few Abbey Road kits with different character plus one or two other miscellaneous kits. They sound great and they cover a decent range but there aren’t a ton of them.

The keys are more varied—there are a lot of electric pianos, very few acoustic pianos, and no organs that I could find. The EPs sound great but the acoustic pianos are quite bland. I run them through the S1200 emulation and that takes them from “lame” to “endearingly cheesy” but they still has pretty limited utility.

All that said, it’s really easy to build multisampled kits in the Maschine software, so if you have Addictive Drums or Logic or something it’d only take an hour or two to port a whole bunch of sounds over. I’m planning on doing that with the Logic drums and pianos. But I have so many other things to do first :sweat_smile:

And I should specify that this is with the factory content only. I haven’t installed any expansions yet. There might be an expansion with more acoustic drums and pianos—if anybody knows of one please shout it out here!

1 Like

So far I couldn’t agree more…I love how you can casually get a nice groove going. It makes it feel so good to work this way…

2 Likes

Im super excited to get used to casually sampling things. My other samplers hasn’t a various degree of limitations.

Octatrack- stereo, but pretty inconvenient to try to record in with- also there was an element of faith to it.

Digitakt(which I love)- mono, time limitations. It felt unreliable to plug all my instruments in and go to town.

I’ve really been itching to use my acoustic instruments for a long time, but it felt like there was a lot of hurdles in the way. If the sampling workflow/vibe of the M+ it’s as convenient as the rest of the workflow- this is an absolute game changer

On keyboard sounds, etc. I haven’t looked into it, but I think it would be fairly easy to save some patches from the Kontakt factory library and transfer them over, no? Can anyone speak to this?

A Maschine expansion with bread and butter sounds would make a lot of sense for NI, I think they are all pretty beat-focused.

2 Likes

Err… Did you get some physical voucher for the two expansions? Not sure how to go about installing them.

EDIT: Okay, finally I get to contribute back to the community with some actual insight. Register the device on Native Access, and you should get a voucher within 24 hours to your nativeinstruments.com account.

4 Likes

Great write up and sound insanely easy. How does recording external instruments work? Is it an audio track or can you do looping and assigning to a pad?

1 Like

They have abbey road in standalone!?!
Shit bye bye 1700 bucks!

2 Likes

I only got the two $25 vouchers? They only get me halfway to an expansion each.

Is it like that with other people?

Here’s a little longer groove from today:

Synths are from the iPad and glitchy drummy bits from M+

4 Likes

@Ryan that’s a mistake hit up support

1 Like

Every sound is assigned to a pad as either a free-running loop (that’s called an audio module), a one-shot sample, or an ADSR sample. Then you add them to your track by triggering them as part of a pattern or clip. So it’s not quite as straightforward as recording onto the timeline in a DAW, but you start to get the hang of it after a bit.

As for recording those sounds, you can sync it to the start of the next bar, trigger the recording manually, or use the looper function. All of them have their uses but I mostly stick to the synced recording.

If you want more concrete detail go look up Blezz Beats on youtube. It’s a small channel but he’s put out the best tutorials so far on how to use clips.

As a side note, I’ve found that sorting things into patterns and clips helps me think a little more concretely about the purpose of what I’m recording, if that makes sense. Like—is this chord progression going to repeat multiple times throughout the song? Then it’s a pattern. Or is it just a little phrase sprinkled on top? Then it’s a clip.

5 Likes

I own every single expansion… tons of amazing stuff! Worth every penny.

1 Like

Not sure if l’m missing something but either than the plus being standalone isn’t the workflow the same as the mklll? I’m reading the comments and hearing a lot of how great it is to create music and apply the features. What is different?

There is no difference. I think some people are just discovering the Maschine workflow for the first and others are revisiting it after some time away (and a few updates)

8 Likes

It’s coming from a purely hardware perspective. The functionality is the same. Then angle in which you approach said functionality is different

Received my M+ today, first impressions are good… had some issues connecting to wifi but got it sorted (think my password was too long). Have to say not all rotary knobs have the same resistance but I think it has been like this since the MK1 controller.

The overall build is pretty good compared to MPC Live (dust magnet) and MC707 (super cheap plastic job). Not quite Elektron level (would trust it to work if I run over it with a car).

I would like to know too: did you receive two vouchers for two Maschine expansion or two 25 dollar/euro vouchers?

My vouchers haven’t shown up yet on my account, but it hasn’t been 24 hours yet…

2 Likes

I got two 25 vouchers. Apparently this is an error. Since I’m so bad at mornings in EST, I’m just going to have to submit a support ticket

Hello someone knows if there is a way to run Ableton link with an iPad without to be connected to my home wifi ?