Standalone Maschine+

Regarding using audio interfaces with Maschine+ USB-A port…
I took the leap and bought a Presonus StudioLive 32R with the SPECIFIC “Yes” from Sweetwater saying that Presonus told them it would work with Maschine+.

It does not. = (

StudioLive shows up as interface on Maschine+ audio settings page, but then on the left hand screen, it says “Device Status: Missing” and there is no access to any i/o from StudioLive box.

Such a bummer, cause the whole point of the StudioLive 32R was to connect to Maschine over USB and my iMac over AVB (Ethernet) at the same time for staying within the digital domain and using the 32R as a patchbay/interface for my hardware and Maschine+ all at the same time = (

I have become very Maschine+ curious.
Is there anyone here using it together with a modular setup, specifically together with a ES-9 audio interface?

This is the same thing I wanted to do with Akai Force and Motu 16A.
No joy on that combo either.

SCG

As one of the main contributors at the NI forum mentioned: when professional USB interfaces want to have better latency specs and additional features, that is what the custom drivers are facilitating. And so therefore, when an interface is straight-up USB class compliant, it’s usually on the lower end of the interface quality/professional spectrum.

I would have loved to hear that the MOTU 16A works with standalone workstations, as I am still looking for a pro-level, ethernet enabled interface to work with my Maschine+. Thanks for the input!

Just gotta be straight up with Expert Sleepers and ask them if ES-9 is totally class-compliant and requires no drivers across multiple platforms (windows, mac, linux). If that’s a yes, then you’re very likely to have a winner. But if you invest in something as $ as Maschine+, I think that finding a compatible USB-eurorack audio interface is something totally worth it, even if you have to try several ones. It would be a dope combo.

Yes it is class-compliant and works very well with iOS. So it should be good then!
Is there still a limit with 8 external inputs? The ES-9 has 16 but I can live with using only 8.
What about outputs? Will I have access to the additional 8 outputs in the maschine as well?

I do think this would be a super combo for me. I already have the ES-9 so that is why I ask about that one specifically.

Maschine+ internal OS has the following routing possibilities:

8 audio inputs into Maschine+
16 outputs from Maschine+

So, for example, once you have an audio interface hooked up, if it has more channels than that, you simply can select on Maschine+ which inputs to feed into your project.

I don’t know of any intentions NI may have to increase it.
Honestly, I’m happy with it. Maschine can host excellent NI instruments like Reaktor, FM7, Monark, Massive, etc so if I want to bring in external sounds and mix them with Maschine+'s internal engine (which is loaded with great effects, BTW) I can bring 4 stereo instruments in.

I feel the mayyyyybe this is a bottleneck if I like to do a live performance and treat Maschine almost as a digital mixer for all my hardware, but maybe it’s a sign that I should sample more into Maschine and not try and go beyond 4 extra hardware devices in a live context.

For me, once I get everything hooked up, I’m thinkin of running the following into Maschine+
Analog Rytm MK2
Korg Radias
Roland SE-02 (this thing sounds so good, fuuuuc)
Korg Wavestate (soon to have keys removed hehehehe)

1 Like

Very cool, thank you for clarifying that!
That many in’s and out’s is plenty for me. Especially if I get Maschine+ it will handle a lot of the percussion. And as you say, just sample something if needed.
Hight amount of I/O could be nice for external processing in the rack as well.

Kann the rytm hooked up to the machine+ as an audio interface via usb?

Yes, I’ve done it with my Rytm MK2. Stereo In / Stereo Out

New update on the horizon

Coming up next for MASCHINE and MASCHINE+ — Native Instruments Community (native-instruments.com)

VST3 Plug-in Targets

MASCHINE 2.15 can now run as VST3 plug-ins in DAWs that support this format. These are functionally equivalent to the VST2 versions, with some user-facing changes resulting from underlying technical differences between the plug-in formats. Some DAWs will automatically migrate the VST2 versions of MASCHINE in saved projects to VST3 versions, preserving all data (e.g. loading plug-ins, parameter values, patterns etc). Please consult your DAW’s documentation for guidance.

Please note that when MASCHINE is running as a VST3, it is not possible to trigger Scenes, Sections or Lock Snapshots via MIDI Program Change messages. Instead, MIDI Note Events must be used.

It’s also worth mentioning that hosting of VST3 plug-ins inside of MASCHINE is considered a separate topic to loading them into a DAW as a VST3 plug-in target. VST3 plug-ins by Native Instruments can be hosted in MASCHINE, and in 2022 we will work with third-party manufacturers to add support for NKS VST3s.

Auto-Sampler

The new Auto-Sampler provides a fast and efficient method of sampling an external device such as a synthesizer or drum machine, which is compatible with all 4x4 MASCHINE controllers.

Auto Project Recovery

With this update, MASCHINE software and MASCHINE+ will periodically save your current project, to ensure that no work is lost in the event of a crash or unexpected shutdown. Project backups are accessible via both the hardware and software.

Chord Inversions

We’ve also added an ‘Inversions’ parameter to Chords mode, which will help with writing more interesting harmony. This parameter can be automated to create dynamic movement in your chords. Set to ‘Auto’ for smart voice leading! KOMPLETE KONTROL customers will already be familiar with this feature.

MASCHINE+ Stability Improvements

This update adds general performance and stability improvements to MASCHINE+ through kernel updates.

Future / Outlook

Beyond this release, we will continue with the theme of Compatibility for MASCHINE. We’ll be working with NKS partners to provide support for NKS VST3 plug-ins in batches. We also hope to have MASCHINE running natively on Apple Silicon computers (i.e. without needing to use Rosetta), as well as adding support for M1 Pro and M1 Max machines by the end of Q2.

5 Likes

Maschine + users… has anyone got any experience of using this and the Akai Force and care to share their experiences? I have a opportunity to trade my Force for Maschine+ and am tempted but would be a new Maschine user.

I think the workflow may be more suited to me than Force having watched demos etc but it’s hard to tell.

Also many of the reviews on line are not wholly positive about the M+ (Or the Force tbh), though I suspect the things they have issues with (aside from the stability point) would not be major issues to me.

In short I want something that sounds good, is versatile and really quick to get a jam going with-intergration with a few other bits of gear is also important, but speed and fun are main drivers for me.

Any comparisons between the two would be welcome!

I also exchanged my Force (+300 euros) for the M+ (bought the m+ on launch, new). I dont regret it, but there is some things from the force and akai that i miss:

• Song mode: I used the song mode on the Force when it was on beta, and it was excellent. I made a little song on it and it worked as i would expect it to work, making transitions very easy to do, and whatever you tweaked during your performance could be recorded as automation , and maschine doesnt work the same way. Maschine song mode is, in my opinion an afterthought. Put it simply, scenes are groups of patterns that play on after the other. If, for example you want to transition automation from one scene to the other its fidly and therefore they introduced clips. “Clips” is a feature that is good to have but it adds complexity to maschine and its hard to controll and edit from the hardware. But doable. RIght now i use “clips” if i want to do a studio version of a certain song (automating transitions between scenes and patters, etc), and i use ideas view to perform that sond live, and twist the knobs myself and this works great. But to do the same on the force, it would take half of the time - or less - and it would be much easy to edit automations.

• Automation - Force has automations, Maschine has modulations - i.e its always relative to knob position. This is ok, and the way maschine handles this, opens up possibilities when performing live but there are very annoying and buggy things with this that its hard to explain but you will understand If you get a M+. For example, if you have your filter fully open and you want to start a pattern with a filter closed you need to step edit the filter values (aka parameter lock) on the first few steps, so that you actually start with the filter close. Otherwise, you will hear the filter going from closed to open in the very beggining of the pattern… Sounds weird and complicated? Its because it is. But i normally put my brain in octatrack mode, so that i can find ways to do stuff, become proeficient at it, and then forget about how hard is to do something that in theory seems so simple.

• Akai comitement. It seems that akai is trying very hard to make the new MPC line and the Force become a new standard, and Native Instruments is waiting to see where this is going, and putting a foot in the door, just in case this newgroovebox thing becomes something profitable. Akai has been updating more their software and hardware, and it seems that NI has a lot of resources focused on M1 compatibility for alllllllll its billion of plugins and vst3. So im sure that they have their hands full but knowing their recent history with abandoning products (maschine jam, traktor) it makes me curious to see what is the future of M+.

But why i prefer the M+ over the Force?

Ease of use - On the force i was always moving around menus and modes to do the same stuff and the workflow never seemed fine tuned. Step mode was also not very usefull. The touch screen just adds complexity and it makes reaching stuff harder. I feel i can use the M+ with my eyes closed. Changing stuff on the M+ is very fast. The Maschine performance workflow is very mature, samrt and fast.

Plugins and fx - this was the dealbreaker to me. The fx from the akai line of product are very bad. They just add a layer of unpleasant artifacts (just an unpleasnt sound, dont really know what to call it) that i can deal with in a product like a octatrack or a sp 404 (live performance mangler, sampler), but not in a grovebox like the Force. If you have sample nice hardware synths, record samples or whatever and you want to add a compressor,or a delay, or a reverb and you dont like what you hear it just makes that product useless, at least for me.

1 Like

So its no easy answer,but i guess the best would be to go for it and than if it doesnt work you can always resell it. But give it time - the M+ its a very mature and complex machine.

Have fun!

Fantastic, thank you for sharing your experience, very useful insights!

1 Like

Glad to help :slight_smile:

can only speak for Maschine mk3 controller vs MPC live. But this is exactly my experience in that case as well. Maschine is super fluid

2 Likes

UPDATE ON WHICH USB AUDIO INTERFACES WORK WITH MASCHINE+
In my own tests, I have gotten the following devices to work over USB and act as the audio interface:
Analog Rytm MK2
Digitone Keys
RME Fireface UCX I
Behringer X32

What doesn’t work:
Presonus StudioLive 32R

made and performed in Maschine with sampled hardware and some of Maschine instruments

1 Like

Is there a tool to make a group of wav files into a Maschine Exapnsion with artwork cover to boot?