Standalone Maschine+

Though I dont have a Maschine+ I was hoping to see a new unit (maybe with battery) with higher CPU/Ram count instead of optimisation and dialing back use of memory/cpu power.

The CPU isnt an issue. The problem here is that they put incompatible (high demanding) kontakt and reaktor patches on the SD card. These will crash the Maschine Plus. That’s my guess.

And this I could live with. (Ignoring these Sounds/presets). With the hardware issues not so much… Encoder issues since 2009 on all their products so don’t get your hopes up

I have a komplete kontrol mk2 and a maschine mk3 and I consider both top notch regarding build quality.
They feel super sturdy and premium. No problems the last few years. They feel at least as good build to me as all elektrons I‘ve used (DN, DT, OTmk1. A4mk1, ARmk1).
Just my experience. Haven’t touched the plus yet

That sucks and I know how frustrating it is to receive multiple faulty items in a row. I’ve had faulty new hardware from ASM (2 x Hydrasynth desktops!), Elektron, Dreadbox and Soma in the past 24 months). However, as other users have said above, I can only share my experience with the M+ hardware which has been extremely positive. There are definitely shortcomings in the software in my opinion. Lackluster automation being my main sore point, but on the whole, I really love the device. I don’t use Kontakt, and if I were to, it would be for my own samples and not huge multi-sampled instruments with lots of velocity layers etc., so my experience is going to be different than others. For my purposes, which are mainly Reaktor ensembles, sequencing and sampling, I’m preferring the M+ over the MPC One (which I still own).

Bought it on launch and very happy with it. My first maschine had a problem - i dont even remember what it was but i send it back and my second one works as intended.

Step sequencing: You can p lock but you cant copy steps a la elektron. You can select the step by pressing it but to paste it you need to use the piano roll and the “p locking” is not copied. I like to use the step sequencer even though is not as slick as the elektron, but better in other ways -longer patterns, some visual clues but not to many, etc.

Instruments: Maschine comes with stock drum instruments, a bass and a poly synth. They all sound good, they are fully editable and you can create patterns for scratch. All the non maschine instruments -fm8, massive, etc - were designed to be used with a computer. You can change them a lot whithin maschine but you cant create patches from scratch. But they still sound awesome, and even though they are “old” in computer age, they are amongst the best within standalone instruments and - i risk to say - the best sounding of all groveboxes.

Glitches, freezes, etc - I had a few in the begining when trying everything. When i started to actually use the way i intended to use it works almost flawesly. “Almost” because the audio plugin seems to be the most demanding - if you change the pitch of a streched sample to extremes you will always here glitches. Very, very ocasional frezees/restarts - today i had one and i dont remember the last time i had one and i use it every other day.

Knob jittering - I had few times that happening, but it almost seems that its software related but i am not sure. Not even sure if it actually changes any values - it seems like a visual glitch. I will pay attention to that and if it continues happening i will send it back and get a new one.

I use it 100% standalone. SampIe to the maschine and play everything from there. Only built a init template on the mac and that was it. I would like to have the patience to plug it to the computer to do some editing, but i guess i never really needed to. In the future i might to that, once i have more finished projects that would make the extra bring work worth.

Sounds like you have a very similar experience as me: returned the first one. Second one still with encoder jitter and freezes.
I guess I have a much lower tolerance for these things compared to you and other users…

PS: the encoder issue is not a visual glitch.

You can hold a step (in step mode) and simply adjust the parameters, this will be recorded as you would expect.

1 Like

Yeah i love this machine, and what has happened to me was something that i can totally live with. The encoder jitter is not something that happens but more that has happened, very sporadically. Freezing/restart, also very uncommon.

If this becomes somewhat frequent i will for sure send it back and not be very happy with that fact. But for now i think what it makes sense is to enjoy an amazing machine a nd not think about what can happen/get broken.

But good to know your experience, really :slight_smile:

Great. Have fun with

To make myself clear: it is an absolute joy to work with. If it would work properly!

The new Polysynth together with Raum is absolutely amazing. Delicious sound

It’s so sad these Maschine’s never worked properly when in my hands.

1 Like

Yeah i see that. Normally when we are frustrated about a specific piece of gear its because we actually love what it can do, but find something that it just makes it incompatible with the way that we want to use it, or just had to much bad luck, bad experiences with it or the company that makes it. I´m personaly not a fan of Native instruments either and i wish that the M+ would get the same love as the modern MPC/ Force family is having, but so far i can live with that. The thing that anoyed me the most in the past was that is not possible to name the samples you make, nor to assign macros from the hardware. But i learn to live with that and hope (but not to much) that they will fix it in the future.

Made and performed live on the M+, some pregos but not to many. Samples from some machines on my setup

1 Like

Would love some help if anyone has an ideas, I’m having no luck at saving ensembles from Reaktor 6 on my laptop and having them play on my M+. Here’s all of the steps that I have tried:

So, I checked all of that, here are the details:

Laptop:
MBP M1 Pro
OSX 12.0.1
Maschine 2.14.7 (R1)
Reaktor 6.4.3 (R0)
*Native Access says everything is up to date

M+:
System version 1.3.2.3
Maschine Version: 2.14.4 (R891)
Firmware: 0.1.9
Reaktor 6 Application 6.4.3
*Library and System settings pages say everything is up to date

So, other than the Maschine versions not exactly matching, everything seems OK there. I will say I’m having trouble registering the hardware serial number from the M+ to my NI account, I have a support ticket open to fix that, with the holidays it might take a while to hear back from them, but I don’t think that’s the issue, see below.

I follow every step here, tried a few variations with with the ‘Select Master’ step, but always end up with the same result: the presets are available in the User section of Browser, but when I load them, they make no sound.

Now here’s where it gets weird. I can open the versions from @KaOsphere on the M+ and they do make sound when I open them on the M+, so I know they can work. But if I try saving any of the same ensembles myself, no sound.

For example, if open Steam Pipe 2 from my factory Library in Reaktor 6 on my laptop, follow all the steps, and save that ensemble, copy it over to my M+, no sound. But if open KaOs’s Steam Pipe 2 in Reaktor 6 on my laptop, do a Save As to a new file, copy that over to the M+, it makes sound. I’ve looked at every property I think of between the Factory version and he KaOs version and I can’t see any difference, but I could be missing something.

It’s interesting, using the Steam Pipe 2 example, my ensemble file saved from the Factory version is 9.791MB, but KaOs’s is 9.802MB, so there is something a little extra in there.

Any ideas?

Or anyone want to send me a M+ friendly copy of Akkord with the sequencer removed in an INIT state and nicely organized parameters? :rofl: That’s all I really need to tide me over until NI offers more official support for all this. (Though testing out some of the Toybox blocks on M+ would be nice too.)

Hi thanks for your video.

Does the model 12 still work with the Maschine plus following the firmware update to the mixer?

With this setup is it possible to record all the groups assigned to the mixer channels at the same time and lastly are they captured as separate files on the SD Card.

Yep firmware update did not break anything !
Anything routed to a specific m12 track can be recorded individually.

1 Like

I’m afraid no, since Maschine (the software) can’t handle multitrack live recording - either standalone or in its computer version.

You can assign multiple out to tascam channels. Maschine does not record anything, model12 handles this task…See posted video.

oh okay it’s the other way round, sorry :confused:

Thanks for the quick reply. Really useful.

You wouldn’t really expect the tascam manual to cover this (USB to groovebox), and the only video’s I could find was someone just transfering thier stereo mix to a computer.

Maschine+ micro like 1/2 of the actual Maschine size would be awesome

1 Like

Following a pm from @iiii , for those of you who have problems with reaktor, try this :

Settings/Library/
on left screen, above the first encoder change avaliable to updates, see if something show up on the right screen, esp. reaktor ! Hope that helps.