Tascam Model 16
Tascam Model 24
Soundcraft Ui24R
Soundcraft MTK 12
Soundcraft Signature MTK22
Behringer UFX1204
Mackie ProFXv3
Presonus StudioLive AR16

Yes the 96 has 2 usb ports to connect to 2 different pc/macs.

92 does not have soundcard.

The 96 is basically a revamped 92 for the new age :wink:

3 Likes

+1 for Xone 96

• analog mixer
  • 2x VCFĀ“s with chrunch aka Little Analog Heat :wink:
  • 4x 4 band eq
  • 2x S/RĀ“s with parametric eq
  • 2x additional inputs
  • 1x Master Insert
  • 2x USB independent Audiointerfaces

Have hooked it up with Rytm, A4, DN, Nemesis Delay and Ventris Reverb
Also good for Ableton/ Traktor.

Great mixer, boundless possibilities.

2 Likes

Hi, do you use the XR18 with the Octa?

You can also use a Firwire to Thunderbolt connector or cable. I use that for an old MOTU 828mk2 Firewire unit (which also allows you to mix onboard from the front panel without additional software), works just fine.

Totally happy with my Iconnectivity Audio4+.

My config:
-Octatrack (Midi cc send & receive and clock send or receive)
-TR-8
-External Fx and other sampler & or synth on a mixer.
-1 iPad Air3 with AUM

_Synths & drums: Noir, Fractal bits, Troublemaker, Ripplemaker, Stria, Polyphase, Xynthesizr, Tardigrainā€¦

_FX on channel & or AuxSend: Eventide Blackhole, eventide Mangledverb, Kosmonaut, Eos2, perforator, K7D, Shaper, Grind, RoughRider, PumpHouse, Limiterā€¦

_Midi tools & sequencer: MIDI SEND AUV3 from Apematrix (I prefere this one as Rozetta LFO), Octachron, Mozaic, Rozetta XoX, Rozetta bassine, in fact all of Rozetta suite it depend of my needs
I often use Noir sequencer to trigger other synth in AUM and I try to constraine my midi notes for each synth.

-1 iPad Air2 with AUM
I use this iPad only for mixing channels and have one AUM file player with Speech vocals and or backing tracks.
In this AUM session I receive 1 stereo BUS channel from my Ipad Air3 connected via USB.
Then I send this channel to the ICA4+ hardware output 1/2 to my Octatrack Stereo Inputs.

Finally I send the Master of my Octatrack back to the ICA4+ hardware inputs into my IPAD Air2 AUM session for final process like Eq, color, warm, dynamic process, , limiter

Itā€™s a lot of fun and endless posibility :crazy_face::alien:
If you have multiples IPad or iPhone this sound card is awesome with its matrix Midi & audio routing capability.
My advice here is, use an iPad for only mixing and one other only for Synths & drums apps.
With this setup the session is more stable, for live situation I need stability, no crash or bugs.
Share the processor and RAM needs between idevices is the key I think.
For this the Iconnectivity Audio4+ does the job pretty well :+1:

The only things with this sound card is the fragility of the USB > lightening cable.
Mine is unstable but I have an CCK so no worries :wink:

1 Like

I think this oneā€™s amazing. And affordable

Do you own one?

Cause on paper the AD/DA spec donā€™t seem great

I do!
I upgraded from a Tascam Us 2x2 and the sound quality appears to be similar. At least I donā€™t notice any difference.
I like the build quality of the Behringer better than the Tascam.

It works well with my iPad as well. Iā€™m actually considering ordering the 2 input version of the Behringer for traveling and sitting on my bed

Nice, need to check it out

+1 for the Behringer xr18. I am very happy with mine!!

I have a MOTU ultra lite mk3, an RME fireface UC and an Allen&Heath qu16

MOTU
If you want to remain mobile and use it on the go in a variety of use cases. I hands down recommend the MOTU any day both mk3 and mk4. There is nothing really that comes close in: number of I/Oā€™s, soundquality and formfactor at this price point. I have been using the motu nearly daily for the past 6 years and no hiccup what so ever.

1. Standalone the user interface is a little bit clunky with all the menuā€™s and submenuā€™s through all the screens on the front panel. However everything about the device you can setup without a computer if you really wanted too.
  2. You can also create a few presets on your computer and recall them whenever you need.
  3. Soundquality is top notch and clean with fairly decent mic preamps.
  4. Density of IO is really great on the go, one issue is the fact that you need to use slim TRS plugs(At the handle) as some can be slightly to wide to fit. so keep that in mind.

Also have look at the other models for things like AVB audio networking or other IOā€™s if you need to exchange shear number with other types.

RME
RME interfaces are also on my recommendation short list. RME UC is very comparable to the MOTU with fewer IOā€™s in the same formfactor. The software is really good and the drivers are probably the best out there coupled with almost unlimited flexibility in routing and mixing. build quality is also the best you can get. The downside is that this comes at a price it is almost twice as expensive as the MOTU.

1. Soundquality is probably one of the best in the business, slightly better then the MOTU. The mic preamps definitely are the shining pro.
  2. Works also completely standalone but you need to do the configuration with a computer as you canā€™t access all functionality from the very basic user interface.
  3. Clock and stability is where this and all other RMEā€™s stand out. As well as the processing power of the unit. You can run it in very low latency without any issue.

Allen&Heath
The Allen and Heath qu16 is my home studio mixer and does pretty much everything you want from a mixer and offers some really nice gimmicks. At a price point that is impressive for the shear amount of extraā€™s you get. They have not lost track of what is important as they really built a solid mixer in both quality and sound. Then they looked at the big brothers the SQ16 and even bigger brothers and ported a lot of features that are great and really set it apart and even some that you only find on the top line models.

1. Motorised faders and totall recall of scenes.
  2. User interface and layout Make it one of the most intuitive mixers I have ever used.
  3. built in audio interface for all channels to do multitrack directly into DAW
  4. Daw integration all the way, mackie control and midi.
  5. Stand-alone recording in multitrack directly to usb storage.
  6. Sound is good to very good. Mic preamps are also good for the price point.
  7. Flexible effects rack with built in effects very usable and when you use the mixer at a small live gig, you can really make things sound a lot better without putting in too much effort. It is soo damn easy to use and trying some things during a quick soundcheck is a breeze.
  8. One downside is they audio over ip solution only is proprietary (dSnake) and is only supported by the stage box or remote mixer to double channel count.(Dante is supported only on bigger brother)

Like everybody is saying it all depends what you need.

2 Likes

Ah yes I forgot, class compliant USB audio you only get with the MOTU ultralite mk4. So if that is a thing keep that in mind. Also if Linux is your thing pretty much stay away from any of these. RME does offer Linux support on some interfaces but unless you really are looking for it Iā€™ll keep that for another thread.

Yep.

I can only vouch for what @CultivatedBeats wrote about MOTU.
I have been using UltraLite Mk3 for the last 3 years and never crashed on me :slight_smile:
Using it for Traktor (4 tracks) plus 1 for DT and MicroFreak. Along with 4 Volcas. All routed to MODEL1.
Ability to work with this soundcard without my laptop is a must: 16 configurations, each with a total of 8 mix buses is top notch.
True enough accessing settings from the front panel is a little tedious but not complicated.
Would buy the same again.
I have used RME in other studios but not worth the price in my opinion for what I do :slight_smile:

How do you use it? Now I have a Digitone in the inputs 1 and 2, and I send it to the outputs 1 and 2 to the A-B inputs in the Octa.

In the 3 and 4 inputs I have the OTĀ“s Main outputs and the Cues into the 5 and 6. IĀ“d like to use the Cues with the XR18Ā“s effects.

IĀ“m struggling a bit with the Buses and the mutes, any advice?

Do you use its EQ or any effects?

I run master and cue into the mixer, and then run ableton back out into input A.

Input B has the analog four running I to it, via the mixer on bus 1 (think Iā€™ve got it on one anyway)

Input C is the ipad via bus 2

Input D is via another bus, and itā€™s from the dsi mopho.

I have a circuit running into the mixer as well as a sp404, and a tt 303.

Using ableton, I can route any of these into input A, or whatever Iā€™m playing in ableton (reaktor for example).

Itā€™s pretty flexible and I can sample anything I want at anytime.

I also have a template set up for traktor, where I run each deck in traktor into a separate mixer channel and then into separate ableton channels. This allows for the traktor and ableton fx to be used and is immensely helpful for any post edits I may want to do

Setting it up is a ball ache to be honest, and I found it was a lot of trail and error, making sure I saved a snapshot each time I had something figured out.

Unlike a trad mixer where I can physically route cables and find out whatā€™s going on visually, using the matrix isnā€™t really great for someone with dyslexia like myself.

Overall though Iā€™m pretty impressed with it and for the money thereā€™s nothing like it.

2 Likes

Looking into a new interface since I sold my Scarlett 2i4ā€¦ Interested in the MOTU Ultralite mk3 or mk4 as Iā€™m seeing much praise in this thread. But whatā€™s so good about it? Is it good for Max/Msp and Reaktor cause thatā€™s what Iā€™ve been using lately.

Reliability (under Mac anyway).
Multiple I/Os
Standalone use
16 Submix configurations with each 8 submixes
Compressor/Limiter very nice
Reverb as well
UltraLite Mk4 is USB Class compliant
Been using a Mk3 hybrid (USB/FireWire) for the last 3 years without one issue

2 Likes

I use a mixpre6 sounddevice, this is a Field Recorder x an Audio Interfaceā€¦ Many inputs, clear sound, perfect and far better than Scarlet 6i6 first gen I had.
I can take it with me if I want to record some soundsā€¦

1 Like