Stam Audio SA4000 (SSL Clone)

Yea I’m excited man. I’m working on some boom bap tracks and some house tracks that use the EPS and Machinedrum’s 12 bit sampler as my main instrument. I just need that analog glue to put things in the mix together. I’ll post soundcloud examples when I get it.

2 Likes

Are we still talking about the SSL clone ?! Haven’t followed the full thread sorry.

Looks awesome and I’m tempted to slap this on the 2 track… the ssl desk I’ve used with the classic buss comp this is modeked after is a beast, really subtle but it’s glue you notice, in a sweet way.

Only problem I’m having is it seems I’ll be paying at least 100 to get it to the uk?! Unless someone has another option or has imported one and knows? I’ve messaged em anyway see what’s best option.

I can see this being purchased tho . Then hopefully I’m done. (Maybe a nice summing box with proper inserts at some point soon too) : )

Mate what desk do you have?

Even after the 100 for shipping this SSL clone isn’t a bad price compared to 4300US.

The only thing to consider is the audio in is only in TRS and audio out is both XLR and TRS.

I’m taking a chance with this master bus too. What if I just don’t like it and I want to do a different master bus compressor? Maybe Neve (I wish)

So even with shipping I will be only spending 700US on something that costs 1700 used for the 500 series SSL version. It sounds like win win to me.

2 Likes

I have acces to one of these (without the extra channels on the right) not mine unfortunately : ) have acces to a 68 channel neve consol from the 70s too tho that’s always breaking, ha.

http://www2.solidstatelogic.com/studio/duality/gallery

The clone would be to sit on the end of my qu PAC at home somewhere, tho that lacks proper inserts you can fake the results at the expense of a PAFL’d input pair.

Are you on the uk? I’m jus twitchy about trying to have things imported as I’ve been burned in the past this way. There’s a couple on e bay (new) but shipping is 100 ukp.

As you say it’s still el cheapo in comparison to the real deal… tho I’m quite poor : )

1 Like

You have access to a duality…I envy you. Most of the time when I’m practicing I use no more than 2 channels of the super analogue. I’m from the US and we spell it analog, but when I hear SSL it deserves to be spelled analogue at all times. :slight_smile:

The super analogue sound is not for everyone, but it makes things stand out like default kits in battery4 and maschine.

I may do some youtube demos of my clarett 8pre sending the master out to it just to show how much this compressor can enhance your overall track.

Yes it’s very cheap compared to the SSL version, but 700US is still a lot of money for me too. My take on it is I don’t like buying into plugin emulations because eventually what you own may no longer be supported. Whereas the physical version doesn’t need a 100 dollar upgrade every 2-3 years. That adds up. Plus I learn better from tactile memory.

Hello Guys

I just foun this thread. My name is Joshua and I am the founder of Stam Audio.

If you have any questions regarding the SA/4000 or any other product feel free to reach me.

I know it sometimes cheap units are to good to be true but this is not the case, I use 1% resistors, Panasonic capacitors, THAT 2180CL VCA’s, Sifam knobs and Vu meter, etc…
All our units have only the highest quality components in the audio path. I take no shortcuts, we just get a huge disccount when buying in thousands of parts which makes this all possible. The other trick is that we dont use retailers nor distributors, so that does not add 30%-50% to the final price and finally but not least we operate with sall margins and work very long hours to produce a lot of units.

Each unit is calibrated and sealed by me and I give them a full health check, we also haves techs in Europe and North America, should anything go wrong during shipping or any problems arise within a year of your purchase. We cover the bill and shipping towards and back to our engineers, units get serviced within 72 hours normally, this way you can buy with some level of confidence since we are so far from each other most of the time.

Anything I can do let me know
Cheers,
Joshua van der Stam

5 Likes

Thanks for chiming in Joshua! I’ll be buying one of your 1073 preamps as soon as I have secured financing for it. Hope Stam Audio is doing well, keep up the good work!

Just preordered both an SA4K as well as the single channel 1073 pre (with sowter xformer). Should be getting these puppies by the end of the year (sooner if the schedules are on point). Will post my experiences with them when they arrive.

An SA2A would be lovely as well… Perhaps next year? I love my LA2A UAD plugins, having a HW unit would be great (although I have no idea where to store it lol)

They take 6 months to arrive? Are they built to order or something?

They are built in batches, but AFAIK manufacturing and shipping delays have been somewhat of a recurring theme (postal strikes in Chile etc). Many people have been stating shipping delays but have been very happy with the products once they have been shipped. So I’m just trying to be realistic with my expectations, I am sure they will be worth the wait.

My June shipment is delayed until August by the way.

You waiting for the next SA4K batch? Seems like we’re waiting for the same batch to ship in that case… August, huh? I can live with that I guess… But then I’m hoping the 73 pre’s will not ship until september (I cannot pay both during the same month lol)

1 Like

Yup same batch. Don’t worry that SSL sound is worth it. I have my iPad going into my Xdesk so i can listen to FIP radio in Superanalogue. I got the dragonfly red Doug the DAC duties from the ipad

I bet that Xdesk sounds sublime! Yeah pretty sure it’ll be a badass 2bus comp

1 Like

These are finally shipping, just got my invoice! They are saying november for the next 1073 mono micpre batch, so if you’re on the fence about getting one, around now is a good time to make up your mind :nyan:

I couldn’t wai so I cancelled my preorder. let me know how it is.

Absolutely! I really hope I will not be disappointed.

I had a bit of an eye opening moment two years ago when I bought a Cali76TX compressor pedal… And I couldn’t tell any meaningful difference between a 1176AE UAD plugin and the hardware pedal! :diddly: :diddly: Still haven’t sold the pedal as I reckoned having a hardware version of the plugin would be a nice redundancy to have in my toolbox, but tbh I have barely used it since… I’m not a big compressor user, quite the opposite though.

O’well, at least the resale value of an SA4k is very good so if the same happens, I’ll be able to cut any losses.

1 Like

Yeah so it finally arrived… Just unboxd, this thing looks very good in the flesh! Very “professional” looking and feeling piece of kit.

I’ll let you know how the sound fits and compares to the UAD SSL buss comp soon!

3 Likes

Love to get your opinion on this one. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nice. Waiting on my one to arrive.

1 Like