Stam Audio SA4000 (SSL Clone)

I think it kinda sounds like tape when you drive the Compounder hot.

one thing i really miss is a dry/wet knob.

True. Iā€™ve seen them go for under $200. Thatā€™s nuts.

Really? Thatā€™s in the plugin league. Donā€™t understand that at all.

People are just unaware.

The compounder has a bad reputation on some reviews/forums. I donā€™t know why.

People are crazy. It has a totally unique design with that inductor bass enhancement feature; itā€™s almost like having an EQ from a Neve console built in. The VCAs were also specially designed for the unit to distort even harmonics in a musical manner.

1 Like

Focusrite has never upset me so far.

Dudeā€¦ Plugins. No one besides people on gear forums can hear the difference. Most can be demoā€™d for free. All are multiple instance and convenient. I spent last week comparing my hardware to software and listening to a bunch of my favourite albums. Came to conclusion plugins are now legit. And Pretty sure most of my favourite lofi stuff was recorded with zero gear/experience. The whole gear thing is a bubble/trap. Stuff that enhances workflow if worthwhile, the rest is a luxury. A good song is a good song. Iā€™m selling a bunch of stuff and trying to throw my brain back to those first stepsā€¦

5 Likes

Plugins work. Like I said, Iā€™ve been using the digital algorithm on my SP-404, and have been pleased. I love analog compressors though because they do something a little extra when you push them that plugins arenā€™t quite capable of reproducing yet imo. For transparent-type stuff, I totally agree.

I agree that hardware does have something thatā€™s hard to totally nail. But if I asked my girlfriend to choose between hardware comp and stuff like klanghelm Mjuc comp that I grabbed last week I doubt sheā€™d even be able to pick the same file consistently let alone chose a favourite. If I had a million bucks Iā€™d carry on as I was but I donā€™t so Iā€™m ducking out of the hardware game for a while and just working on writing with what I have. Hardware sounds enough like plugins to do the job. Modular is a road toward fun nights/generic ā€˜that sounds great, nextā€¦ā€™ . The best stuff is always gonna be worth grabbing - oberheim, chandler etc. But no way I can afford that at the moment. And obsessing over the rest has just become a distraction that has almost zero audible benefit on the finished product. Not dissing hardware overall, Iā€™m glad for what I have, i just woke up and thought that most of us on these forums have plenty already and plugins are fine for the rest. Just how Iā€™m feeling at the moment, not trying to throw that on other people or say Iā€™m right. Just kind of hit me like a train over past couple of days. Hard to continually read people getting so hyped over something that sounds a little more like a 303 than than the last thing that sounded totally like a 303 etc. Feels like weā€™re all a little crazy and I get the feeling I had much more in common with my favourite artists/records etc before I was dissecting this stuff so hardā€¦

1 Like

I see what youā€™re saying. I donā€™t make any money from my music, so I canā€™t justify anything as an investment. Itā€™s all for my own entertainment mostly. Iā€™m not into video games or making model airplanes, so the money I spend on this stuff feels like tending to a hobby. I love synths/gear enough for them to take up all my spending $ instead of going on vacations and stuff.

Take a vacation mate. So many amazing places to see out there.
Best money I ever spend

4 Likes

Thatā€™s totally cool. If moneyā€™s no object then fair enough. Iā€™m always gonna be envious of great gear. Its way more enjoyable to fuck around with etc. Just hitting a spot where I feel like Iā€™ve spent a year or 2 telling myself I ā€˜neededā€™ it, when in reality I just should have been spending a lot more time working on the actual music. Everyoneā€™s in a different situation, just feels like for me stepping back hard from GAS is kind of a breath of fresh air atm, ironically it feels almost comparable to buying some super high end new gear :confused:

2 Likes

When i started with electronic music i was naive regarding sound quality but more creative than nowadays. Over the years i really got spoiled. If i donā€™t get a satisfying sound i will drop the track. So many unfinished tracks are on my hard drive and often enough this depresses me. I would like to be naive again!

3 Likes

When I buy gear, itā€™s not the musician/artist in me behind the wheel; itā€™s just my OCD.

1 Like

Well music as a therapy will not work out then.

Naw, I have a master plan. Iā€™m so busy with school, Iā€™m just making sure I have everything I need for when I get a little break to make music. That time is invaluable so my tools need to be awesome. Sometimes, it feels like Iā€™m setting up a bunch of dominoes.

1 Like

I preordered mine just right now. Even with a 90 dollar shipping fee this beats the SSL 4K price tag I found on sweetwater. I have an Xdesk which covers the AWS console sound now I can use this on the master bus and go back into my DAW. Iā€™m excited.

Prints you need to outdo me in the gear purchases. Just kidding.

3 Likes

Youā€™re buying all the right stuff, thatā€™s for sure!

1 Like