ST tips & tricks

This is an amazing find! The possibility had crossed my mind, but I wrongly assumed it didn’t work after 1 quick try (didn’t set up the following pattern delay right).

I had just a moment to try it out just now (will look in depth later), but at first glance, but it worked great for me: I copied the 1-bar freeze delay trigger from the first pattern (in a hurry) to trig 1 of pattern 2’s FX, as a quick way to get the same delay settings. For me, fading out the feedback all the way before introducing the next use of delay eliminated the delay-time-change artifacts—but only in this particular case, it’d be nice to figure out how to minimize those…

Loved the sound of putting the delay’s low pass filter on the previous pattern’s delay buffer!

2 Likes

Ah yeah this is a nice idea! I’ve been trying to think of a way to just have a single pattern instead of two copies, I was thinking you could have a “1st” FX trig on step 1 which sets the delay to 1/1 for the transition in, then another 0% trig you trigger to set the correct delay values… but I think you’re going to have the issue of any tracks being sent to the delay normally getting added to the delay.

1 Like

Ah you mean you did this on the fly? I wonder if there’s some combo of quick button pressing and/or trig conditions which mean you could use a single pattern. Not the end of the world to have to prepare a few for a live set though.

1 Like

This is very inspirational. What a creative approach and idea :star_struck:

1 Like

Thanks! Happy playing!

2 Likes

It was suggested to move the conversation about Syntakt FX Scenes tricks and applications to its own thread, so I started a place for it at … Syntakt FX Scenes + Techniques .

As pretty much an invitation to design custom FX with 2 lfo’s, drive, reverb, amp, and delay, the FX block strikes me as a characteristically inspiring offering from Elektron…

4 Likes

Oh, no I was “in a hurry” not having much time to play, and realized copying the delay trigger might not be the best way to approach.

Yes, it took me longer than I’d like to admit to realize that the “artifacts” from changing patterns are direct results of changing the DEL TIME parameter while there’s still sound in the feedback buffer. Right now on the second pattern I’m setting a 1st trig to match the previous pattern’s DEL TIME, fade it out with the trig or by hand, then a second trig to cue in new delay settings for using delay in pattern 2. Does that work for you, and allow using just the 2 patterns?

1 Like

This ought to work with other Digi boxes as well.

I was just fiddling around with mod wheel setup (in tandem with a knobby MIDI controller) and I realised you can use the mod wheel setup page as a sort of set of “shortcut” controls to your favourite parameters on each track.

If you go to the mod wheel setup page you have 4 parameters to choose and then the amount of modulation that the mod wheel will add. I realised that if you set up your 4 parameters to control, then use the level knob to turn up the mod amount to 127 (or other amount to scale the modulation to taste), you can then use the lower knobs E-H as shortcuts to apply bipolar modulation to those parameters.

I hope this makes sense - instead of using the mod wheel CC to control (up to) 4 parameters at once, you can just use this page to setup 4 shortcuts to 4 parameters, and just modify the values with the E-H knobs. Also, if you switch tracks, you just switch to the mod wheel page for each track s you sort of have a shortcut to your 4 favourite parameters on each track.

8 Likes

it’d be cool if elektron exploit these techniques in future updates, maybe incorporate em into the modifiers somehow too. chorus, resonator etc.

2 Likes

It does! Cool idea. Especially for eg Digitone where the parameters to tweak are not always obvious.

This is per-track right? One of my favourite features on the A4 is being able to pick parameters from multiple tracks and have them on one screen, kinda like a “control panel” for your pattern. Admittedly more necessary there due to the complexity of the parameters.

Yes it is. I don’t think it’s possible (without a computer, extra cables or MIDI processing boxes or whatever) to simultaneously control parameters across multiple tracks with the Digi boxes, but I’d be happy to be corrected.

Every time I discover an “accidental” feature like this it makes me realise how much you can do without any extra gear at all, just the one box. Some Elektron gear doesn’t necessarily look that deep on paper, but in practise it’s a different story with all these hidden workflow tricks and features that aren’t on the surface.

2 Likes

Possible with midi loopback, using a midi track on channel 1, setting all tracks to channel 1. I used it with Digitone.

From that midi track you can control all tracks with different settings of Pitchbend, Modwheel, Aftertouch, Breath Control, and Velocity (setting its CC in midi AMP page). of course it’s possible with any controller…

A bit boring to set up, but you can copy modulation pages…

This also allows you to modulate Soundlocks if set with modulations…

1 Like

It would be so rad if there was a built in midi loop back (maybe accessed via some hidden option). I understand why they wouldn’t expose this of course as it would imply some degree of testing and support, but it would be super convenient!

2 Likes

Sure…or Control All for modulations ?

1 Like

Another basic tip, and it’s applies to several boxes.

In midi config, you can set multiple tracks to the same midi channel. Then when you send a note to that channel, it will play all the tracks. This is typically done with an external midi controller.

On the ST, this allows you to layer sounds (esp the 3 analog tracks with Dual VCO :slight_smile: )
And there are lots of tracks to layer.

5 Likes

And trigger the fx track :wink:

ST tips & tricks - #128 by sezare56

3 Likes

@sezare56 wow genius
Does this mean you can do some live side chaining? Triggering the amp envelope of the afx track and notes on the analog tracks while playing live?

Getting new formant sounds out of the ST every day

It would be amazing to have a speak and spell type oscillator that uses phrases you type. Phrases could be stored within the machine (kind of like how the Microfreak has allocated memory within it’s WT oscillator for up to 16 user wavetables) and flipped step by step with a single parameter like the DT flips sample.

Imagine having control over the formants, pitch, playback speed, etc. on your own custom pseudo-sid voice :exploding_head:

12 Likes

Woah that sounds amazing at the end! Please share more about what you’re doing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you I can get more in detail later this afternoon when I revisit the patch but I’ve found different engines seem to have different formant registers they can emulate and varying levels of reliability for those emulations. Each has a drawback but the most reliable with the widest usable range have been the Clap Engine and Bits.

If I’m not mistaken the sound in the first half is Bits with high sample rate reduction, high bit reduction, and pitch taken way above usable range then modulated with a triangle wave to control the spread of the formant-like sidebands you get from the aliasing. Also some audio rate filter FM for spice.

The second half is a handful of tricks (some learned from the rytm). But yeh definitely going to have to see this patch again to remember :sweat_smile:

3 Likes