SSL UF1 Controller

Just seen this pop up on YouTube and it looks to be quite a tasty addition to their existing controller range :

2 Likes

Oh, it’s up on the SSL site also

Very interested in this, as I’ve been doing much more mixing for clients recently. Wonder how it compares to the Faderport. Does anyone have personal experience with any of the SSL controllers or the Faderport?

1 Like

Another controller that won’t get official bitwig support sob

1 Like

I had a Faderport 16 that I ran with Logic, but I never really used it as found the interface response to be laggy and the little screens to be useless and difficult to read. I sold it after 6 months.

This looks to be on a different level.
The only commonality is that it’s using the Mackie HUI protocol, which is such an outdated protocol that really shows it’s limits when using these motorised type HUI devices.

This is a well discussed topic, but I understand Avid’s Eucon protocol is so much slicker and deeper in capability, despite it being of a similar age to HUI (it’s inherited from the Euphonix hardware that Avid absorbed some years ago). The only issue is that it is proprietary to Avid hardware only, so they’re the only ones that make this type of kit. I’ve seen that their units play well with most DAW’s, but not tried them first hand. Their equivalent model to the SSL UF8, the Avid S1, is also very expensive, perhaps more so than the SSL UC/UF kit + you need an iPad to take full advantage of the hardware. The Avid build quality looks stellar though, as does the SSL stuff.

1 Like

Can it not be mapped, manually?

No matter how good you manually map these things there are always a ton of things that don’t work, buttons with no function, etc. Not worth the trouble for a half functioning controller.

Edit: I actually got a UF1 to try and to my surprise I got it working pretty well with bitwig, so I will eat my words a little here (although there are still buttons that don’t work like the scrub button :stuck_out_tongue: ).

Fair enough!

I just hope one day bitwig is popular enough that hardware manufacturers take note of it… but here I am thinking about leaving it so I can use a push and a UF1/8. Vicious cycle lol.

1 Like

Haha, I understand this kind of quandary.

I was curious about Bitwig actually, as got a full licenced copy for free with an Antelope interface I just bought - but I don’t really like Ableton, and I know they are similar / same heritage.

Think I’ll stick to Logic :joy:

1 Like

ÂŁ499 before VAT

:joy:

1 Like

The two daws I used most were bitwig and logic. I have never used ableton although the push 3 and daw controllers like this has got me thinking about trying it lol.

Bitwig makes a lot more sense to my brain than logic does, logic may be a tad bit easier for mixing and mastering, but I recently just dropped logic and use bitwig for everything just for convenience.

1 Like

It looks really nice imo and it seems to have some nice things added. But it’s a midi controller… that price is steep imo

1 Like

Now you got me thinking to check it out properly :upside_down_face:
I heard Bitwig’s great with hardware - does Overbridge have any benefits in Bitwig or is it mainly other hardware like CV reliant stuff?

1 Like

Same here, I hope it gets support, I would buy one.

1 Like

Mine arrived today, works perfectly with Bitwig. Just set the layer you want to use it on to Ableton Live, add a Mackie Control to controllers in Bitwig, and select the ports according to the layer.

3 Likes

I just got one today as well and am setting it up right now… having trouble getting it to select all my tracks, the channel select encoder moves a bank of eight and wont let me go to the lower tracks… Build quality is phenomenal though, a really pro looking piece of gear.

1 Like

Yeah, I Have Ableton on layer 1, I tried Logic on layer 2 for Bitwig, but some things were wonky, so I tried setting that layer to Live and it seems to be good. I haven’t tried the other DAW types, but worth trying those if you find an issue with using the Live mappings.

The UC1 integration was my breaking point. As soon as I saw it could integrate with that to show the EQ curves for the channel strip plugins, I couldn’t resist.

2 Likes

The channel select is a bit confusing in Live, I haven’t spent much time in Bitwig aside form making sure it worked.

In Live, you use the arrow keys next to the jog wheel to select tracks for the screen controls and encoders, but the fader select seems detached from that and controlled by the channel wheel. But it only scrolls through the first 8 then nothing…

I guess it’s time to watch the setup video for Ableton.

There must be a way to link the fader to the mid section channel select.

1 Like

I got it working, had to press the channel encoder and change it to fader select mode… default looks like it selects banks which was my issue… Looks like I need to rtfm too lol.