Squarp Pyramid [compilation topic]

Oh yeah. I’m still getting used to it, but I’m having a blast programming both my MDUW and A4 from the single sequencer. Gonna throw the OT into the mix after I move and it’s going to be essential after I sell my MNM and get a blofeld

I’m listening to your stuff now. Very cool sounds you pulled from the gear you’re using. And sporadic too! You used the pyramid for your sound cloud stuff?

Don’t sell your MnM ! With Pyramid it’s a real pleasure to go over the 64 steps limit. Same to use it in polymod. Nice sounds from it and lot of cc to send on each step to get weird things. Try the combo Pyramid/mono.
Same for MD. Pyramid brings the trigless thing that MD doesn’t have.

About the blofeld, I hesitate between it and the Virus, to bring polyphony to the Pyramid. I finished by buying a Virus Snow and it was the right choice. A little bit expensive than Blofeld, but little box with greaaaaaat sound. Consider it.

About my sound on SC, the songs with Death Grips vocals are made with my MPC 2500 (that I sold to buy the Pyramid ; )
All the other songs are made by the combo MD/MnM. Live playing, one take, no post eq or comp, just record stait out of steteo out. That’s why these song have a relatively poor sound. These are old productions made before the Pyramid came in my studio. Now, since it comes, my production are much betters.
Thanks for listening.

3 Likes

Oh damn! With the MnM/MD you say…shoot. I’ll have to listen deeper tomorrow and reconsider the selling of my MnM…

id love a pyramid. I don’t need one but id love one :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, i think you need it… :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

hehe :slight_smile:

Yes it is, except “à la manière de” with synth phrase as been sampled in the OT from MnM and rearrange in OT.

1 Like

I got a reply from Squarp:

No, we are not releasing a new version of Pyramid. Don’t worry you will have the last one :).

Have a nice day,
Benoit

I’m assuming he means “latest” one?

2 Likes

I got a similar reply from Squarp:

No, there is no new version of Pyramid coming soon. What we mean by new box is the new cardboard box. Hope you feel reassured :).

Have a nice day,
Benoît

I’m assuming this is the first time ever that a company has given pre-release hype to a new cardboard box! :smile: So all is good and mine should be on the way!

6 Likes

They better update all the old cardboard boxes or, oh wait, nevermind… Carry on…

3 Likes

Even if they made a change to the hardware I wouldn’t have regrets about the Pyramid I currently have. I’d maybe just use it as an excuse to buy another one. :cheeky:

1 Like

The touchpad is definitely bigger and the icons / labels on the panel are definitely different, compared to my unit which I purchased 10 months ago (which the first revision that removed the accelerometer). This second revision might have gone into production months ago, though.

Squarp got back to me about my odd timing request. They mentioned it had already been requested and that maybe it will be available in the future.

So at least they’re keeping track of these things. Though it doesn’t look like its being teed up for 1.5 or 2.0 from the sound of things. Or maybe they’re just keeping it very hush hush for when it’s released.

#Hope

1 Like

Anyone have any idea why it takes Squarp 12 days to prep a unit for shipping? I can’t imagine they are swamped and backlogged with orders. 12 days seems like a long time to put something into a box and send. Haha I’m just getting impatient :innocent:

They’re an extremely small team.

That’s a bummer. I was led to believe that it’s “fully polyrhythmic” - from the product page:

“You can set a track with a 4/4 standard signature, and for the other tracks 5/4, 6/8, 15/8… The direct access button enables you to change the left and right numbers without limitation. It’s an incredible and easy way to add complexity to your songs.”

Now that I reread it, the implication is that one track MUST be in 4/4. I hope I’m wrong on that.

Having to execute all 16 steps is another bummer. The Octatrack will happily cycle back to step 1 after step 13, if I set the pattern length to 13 - for one track, while the other track cycles back according to IT’s track length. Granted it was only a brief experiment, but I did try 3 tracks at once, each with a length set to some prime number (no multiples of 4)

You can use it in different time signatures. Just using it in multiple bars of that time signature gets really messy. It’s similar to trying to make a 3/4 track on the elektron sequencer. 12 of the steps go to the first bar and then 13-8 of the second pages goes to the second bar and so on.

Really messy. And as far as a standalone sequencer I would have hoped it would have been more organized as far as odd times go…

1 Like

Shame about that.

I’ll probably just use my existing hardware sequencers (Korg M3, Octatrack, Emu XL7), setting each to various time signatures as needed. The Pyramid looks appealing due to its small size - will monitor the progress…

1 Like

I’m still getting the hang of it. But it’s definitely cool using just one sequencer to control all my gear. Dialing in melodies is kinda a pain, hopefully you can input notes in a similar fashion as the A4

@tasmansea, not sure what you mean?! Can you please elaborate? Michiel

1 Like