Squarp Pyramid [compilation topic]

hey Michiel - I’m referring to the Ocatracks (buggy) “plays free” feature. It’s essentially ableton clip style launching of midi tracks. quantized and unquantized. cheers

Has anyone played around with using Korg Gadget to send midi into the Pyramid?

Thank you

Is there a way to factory reset the Pyramid? Mine is acting funny?

Have had only a few hours to test my Pyramid, but the promise is there! External keyboard really helps to select notes in sequencer mode and looper functionality is a super fast way to record jams. Finally got my head around the iconnectivity config app and got it working quite nicely.

I haven’t been able to record any input cc, though. Should it record it or is the only way to sequence cc to map the numbers independently?

Sold my pyramid. Just wasnt for me really. Also having to switch between the modes to do p locking as well as sequenced program changes (which in oppsote to the octatrack the pyramid does really really well) annoyed me. Also I dont do that much program changes within a pattern so it doesnt really matter.

What do you reckon you’ll use instead?

I think yours will be sold within 3 months, maybe less.

1 Like

It’s certainly possible. For the Elektrons, there’s just no replacing the intimacy of using their sequencers. Sound design and composition in one package. But I just got the Blofeld yesterday and that’s a good sounding baby and I need something to run that with and the Pyramid seems like a good thing to do that with(the OT would be cool, but that’s a lot of work)

3 Likes

The main reason I got the pyramid was to sequence my Virus Ti2. I never had a fun time trying to sequence it with the OT.

2 Likes

Yeah, sequencing the OT has been kinda a pain from what little I’ve tried of it. The MDUW and A4 is a little bit easier, more so the MDUW on account that you can sequence it all from a single track. I’ve still got a little bit more to try out.

The Euclidean function only seems cool for the drum machine, but each one it seems has to be on its own track which seems inefficient.

And odd timings aren’t supported well for more than one bar.

I’ve still gotta experiment with mapping the CCs, but I’m REALLY eager to see how the MPC live does with sequencing. If it can send CCs and maybe offer midi LFOs, I might be really tempted to go for it.

Though, I probably need more time to get comfortable with it.

There’s workarounds for using Euclidean mode for notes (I usually load an arp, random (for notes), scale, and chance FX), but to my understanding they’ve improved this in the 2.0 update coming out next week, so you shouldn’t need to fill all your effects slots to use Euclidean mode for non-drum purposes.

I’d just suggest continuing to work with the Pyramid…especially with the update that is coming, which promises to really take it to the next level.

3 Likes

My brother sold his pyramid and I don’t think he recovered.
I’ve listened to his stuff he made (with/on it) and I can hear the squarp influence.
I think he made a mistake but it’s way too expensive to buy now as he had a first batcher.
Kind of curious myself as I didn’t actually get my grubby mitts on it!

What I meant was using the OT to sequence the Virus was a pain in the ass - hence why I bought the pyramid. I am still waiting for mine to arrive. It should be here by end of next week. I’m really looking forward to sequencing the MD and MM with the pyramid as well.

1 Like

I’m also waiting on a Pyramid to sequence my Blofeld, but I’ll also be using it to automate the Octatrack better than the Arranger. I anticipate it will be liberating to have complete control over track volumes, pattern changes, and every effects parameter (via CC) for studio/composition purposes. Not interested in live performance.

1 Like

currently the sweet spot for me is making the pyramid my master clock and transport, while still using my OT for quick p-locking and generating sequences with the LFO designer modulation tricks I love it for. I’m using MIDI OUT B to control my OT’s pattern changes (finally, instant direct pattern changes! unfortunately, not “legato”, though, as this is a limitation of elektron design) and translating CV signals into CCs to control the OT’s audio side, and I’m sending midi from the OT into the pyramid for processing and recording which then terminates at MIDI OUT A. the configuration options are comprehensive enough that this is working stably without any feedback issues or lock-ups.

the possibilities in this configuration for both control of the OT and processing of the OT’s MIDI data are mind-bending. and don’t forget that it has a CC translator midi effect that basically works like bomebox, so with this combo you can make the OT’s crossfader also perform MIDI or CV control roles while it does its thing on audio tracks.

I’d take these two together over a Cirklon any day, and definitely over any $500 eurorack sequencer. with four CV inputs that can be recorded into patterns, mapped to control any CC on the OT or any other midi device, or mapped to control midi fx on the pyramid, and with at least 2 lanes of intertrack modulation possible within the pyramid alone, there is more than enough power for the kinds of aleatoric hijinks that have made those other options intriguing to me.

and now that the pyramid finally has a really nice implementation of patterns and important little workflow things like step muting, I feel more comfortable with letting it take over a lot of primary sequencing duties, whereas before I just leaned on it for chord progressions, multi-bar CC automations, and midi fx.

it’s come a long way and now feels like the magic device I knew it would eventually become because the incredibly considerate Squarp team has been so responsive to its user community’s needs and vision for the product :thumbsup:

fwiw, you can see from my other posts on the topic that in the past I’ve been more critical of this sequencer, so there should be no doubt that this praise is organic and earned

10 Likes

That would be really cool! I’ll have to give that a go! Gotta be easier than plugging everything in currently.

How are you liking the Pyramid now that you finally Learnt it?

The Pyramid is the single most important piece of gear in my studio. Can’t imagine how I ever got on without it. I love it to bits.

8 Likes

Your words inspire me. I’ll learn the Pyramid more.

What do you love the most about it so I can aim my focus?

Mine should arrive by Friday. Feels like Xmas.

You know, there isn’t one particular thing about it that makes me say that. It’s more that when I want to do something, instead of dealing with convoluted workarounds and compromises, I can just do it on the Pyramid.

1 Like