Squarp Instruments Hapax Polychronic Performance Sequencer

About the video, it kind of sounds like the audio is just the raw oscilloscope input signal.
I’m guessing this because, when there is a lot on the screen, there is also a lot of sound.

It’s obvious that Squarp is finally releasing a box of green squiggles. I lost my old squiggles a while ago, so these will be welcome replacements.

5 Likes

yeah this is (in my experience) the norm of this kind of thing…
basically you get to hear the sound that is actually producing the image.
… so you get that direct 1-1 relationship.

so its a step beyond music visualisation… where visual and music are one.

… its fun, but never seen it go on for quite so long :slight_smile:

I remember seeing someone doing something very similar with a vectrex/eurorack at Superbooth one year… (2019?) … when I got back, I spent about a week looking to buy a vectrex to mod.

did you look under the sofa? … last time I lost my squiggles, I found the cats had been playing with them…

1 Like

Well now I’m going to have to get a cat so they can find the lost squiggles for me. Good looking out!

Do you mean Jason Hotchkiss? Isometric surface plotting on a Vectrex CRT under analog voltage control - YouTube (blog article: Stuff and Nonsense: Isometric surface plotting on a Vectrex CRT under analog voltage control)

I saw this and really wanted a vectrex too, but my electronics skills are too weak and I don’t really have time to do the mod.

it was one of the eurorack module manufactures that had it… I can’t remember where they said got the idea from originally… seems a few have been doing it for a while.

the info is out there to do it, and I was keen…
but I found the Vectrex as a game console has a bit of a vintage ‘value’, so the ones I looked at were around 500 euros, which was a bit much , since I might break it :wink:
Its probably easier/cheaper to just buy an old oscilloscope…

but then I got into looking at things like C&G Eyesy… so got a bit sidetracked :slight_smile:

I should ask Squarp what they used for this video … Im guessing now it’s being done real time.
(albeit, im sure a computer is just running thru a pre-defined script)

Eyesy is on my wish list. Been tinkering with Andrei Jay’s VSERPI which is lots of fun but all the adapters and cables have me craving an all-in-one solution.

definitely starting to look like something now, i think?

I got to say, though, nice laser mapping.

Definitely looking like something

2 screens*, 9 knobs and lots of buttons

*or one screen + one touch pad thing, as on the pyramid

An 8x16 grid of buttons, and also a D-pad. I doubt one of those screens is a touchpad – it would be awkward up there at the top.

That’s… a lot of pads?
Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 10.44.35 AM

7 Likes

oooh

Ok the announcement is maybe actually starting!

The "hapax”?

Came back just at the right time. Hapax meaning from Wikipedia:

In corpus linguistics, a hapax legomenon (sometimes abbreviated to hapax, plural hapaxes) is a word or an expression that occurs only once within a context: either in the written record of an entire language, in the works of an author, or in a single text.

1 Like

It’s counting down from 12 minutes now. Something finally happening!

1 Like

Premiere of the trailer:

7 Likes

I just tattooed Hapax on my arm. This better be good.

11 Likes