Squarp Instruments Hapax Polychronic Performance Sequencer

Or the Hydrasynth, or even better with Osmose ( whenever that is available ! ) for those of us who prefer more conventional keyboards.

Is this the first hardware sequencer that will be able to record MPE to separate tracks ?

2 Likes

Looks very OXI One!

I am happy I bought the OXI, love the pipe, more eurorack connectivity, BT midi, rechargeable battery powered and it cost me half as much.

I had Hermod for a while in my Eurorack but sold it recently- just didnā€™t get on with the tiny screenā€¦this looks betterā€¦

I documented some of my initial issues with it on the OXI forums after I finished my first track with it.
Good, Bad, and Ugly. First track finished with the OXI - OXI Instruments Forum

Iā€™ve now done 6 more tracks and my opinion hasnā€™t really changed. I am having some fundamental UX problems with it. I can certainly make tracks with it, but none of them have been pain free, including constantly overwriting patterns (and even overwriting a project on the last track).

I am also a bit bummed that they are investing time in new features (The Stochastic Sequencer) when things like the arranger or pattern syncing still really donā€™t work in any ways I expect them to. Maybe this is all me, and I am not gelling with it? not sure, but the Hapax is making me rethink how much energy I want to put into the OXI that is for sure.

3 Likes

Ah, sorry. Pyramid has a mode called STEP which is where you could enter note information, but also had a separate screen for entering CCs and PCs per-sequencer-step.

The Hapax also has a STEP mode, but it looks like itā€™s only for entering note information because CCs, PCs, CVs, etc. now have a dedicated mode called Automation (AUTOM).

But the result, it seems, is the same. You can enter PCs in Automation per-sequencer-step for that tracker feel (provided the device on the other end of the MIDI can keep up!)

1 Like

I wish it was only 2. If I grab this my sequencer count for the year will be at 5 (OXI, MegaCommand, Mimetic Digitalis, M8, Hapax)

I have a sequencing problem.

6 Likes

User swappable and readily available replacements? Would be nice right?

1 Like

New Squarp, oh yes, coolā€¦
I will take two to join with my 2 Cirklon, my old Pyramid and the Squid, in one big midi chaining operational sequencer :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Do you think there will be an Elektron dedicated sequencer soon ?:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Top album

1 Like

I only know that the RK008 is supposed to be able to but someone has to test it. MIDI tape recorder on iOS works very well for MPE recording.

1 Like

I think itā€™s all Iā€™d need to complete the set. We got a new Korg sequencer, a whole slew of Rolands, new Squarp, maybe something from Polyend, soon. Just a stand-alone Elektron would complete the refresh of all my sequencer superstars. (Well, and maybe something from Erica?)

1 Like

I feel like thereā€™s too many of these grid based sequencers to keep track of. Keeping in mind that I just got a monome grid, so Iā€™m not anti-grid at all, I just feel like thereā€™s a lot of things that pretty much do the same thing.

I would like to see more standalone boxes that push the envelope with unique interfaces, and arenā€™t necessarily sequencers. I think the M8 is a good example of something thatā€™s really forward thinking in scope and design.

1 Like

Tempo elasticity looks like a really cool concept! I wonder if itā€™s a destination in the mod matrixā€¦ really interesting sequencerā€¦

2 Likes

whelp. i got one. sequencer #5 on the year, heading to seattle.

1 Like

wonder how many Hermods and Pyramids will hit the for sale forum now

hate to be that guy, but I wish it had a usb-c port :slight_smile:

Iā€™ll biteā€¦

What problem would that solve for you?

2 Likes

I wonder if tempo elasticity was nicked from the Toraiz Squid.
Itā€™s an esoteric feature that is mostly weird, but when tightly controlled can make AMAZING rhythms.

Hmm, Iā€™ve been trying to save very slowly for an OXI, but this is made by a much more established companyā€“and it seems like Squarp is really understanding the importance of a legible displayā€¦

OMG
This thing does real-time adjustable start and end points. Iā€™m so in. SO IN.

3 Likes

it would make it more aesthetically perfect for me

Dual projects is a feature Iā€™ve been wanting in pretty much every sequencer/sampler Iā€™ve owned

3 Likes

One of my repeated request for Pyramid, at the time.