Squarepusher love fest

44 Likes

i’d really like to hear the “scope audio only” mix of this. pretty sure it would sound horrendous but amazing too.

6 Likes

It sounds like ten old modems through a metal zone. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

That’s nice.
Not super well mixed, though in my opinion. I mean I love the song but I’m not blown away by the mix, it kind of doesn’t serve well the “spectacular” aspects.

2 Likes

Interesting topic… I don’t know a lot of things about mixing but I like this one, very “clean” in my opinion.

2 Likes

took a quick listen, nice gabber vibes!
I’m not familiar with Squarepusher at all (i know his name but i either it went past me or nothing i heard was to my liking)

2 Likes

It is not a track but a great Time Machine ! Back in the 90’s raves, I’m twenty again :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Thanks Squarepusher :content:

4 Likes

Worth checking his catalogue imo. Made a huge impression (on me) in the late 90s.

4 Likes

After putting earphones I hear what you mean.

1 Like

indeed, Time machiney qualities.

This video by Chris Cunningham is just amazing.

16 Likes

In the 90’s his name was like a go ahead pass, “Oh, you know squarepusher? Well, I guess you’re probably ok then.”

16 Likes

The bass game is insane. The feel and creativity is on pair with any Wooten/Claypool work.

7 Likes

My neighbors might disagree, but this is the best Bossa Nova made out of Brazil:

11 Likes

That single is completely bonkers.

Woohooo, I‘m getting some Steinbolt-Vibes :metal:

5 Likes

correction, I just had the volume low.

This thing is brutal.

1 Like

I’m not very fussy about mixing—if the tunes are great, they will shine thru a bad mix; if the tunes are bad a good mix won’t save them. That said, one of the few albums where the mix has caught my attention, and I think hurt the musical experience, is the Shobaleader - Demonstrator record. Outstanding album, really strong songcraft, excellent parts and melodies, Tom’s vocals totally work, etc etc, but I really think it needs to be remixed by someone else. That album needs a poppier, shinier mix treatment, rather than his usual scrappy taco-bell-wrapper-on-the-studio-floor approach, and in that case I think the mix really does noticeably hurt the overall experience. Still an outstanding album and wildly underrated. The last one I enjoyed from him.

5 Likes

This, aside from his more beautiful and delicate tracks, is one of the best and most representative examples of his work (during the time he shared a house with a certain Richard D James and they were in a friendly competition to make harder, faster, stronger, etc, tracks than the other one):

Be sure to listen all the way through. It builds!

11 Likes

Really liking this track!

Big fan of Square and Ceephax.

2 Likes