Spring Reverbs

I have a €20 Mosky spring pedal and it sounds absolutely wicked, I prefer it to the spring models in the Empress Reverb.

1 Like

There’s also the Dust Collector which is in my eyes a quasi-modular take on the format of the Vermona Retroverb.

The big bonus is that it’s designed to allow access to the spring directly, among some other funky tricks

1 Like

miniKORG 700FS Spring Reverb is awesome.

3 Likes

Yes it is !

1 Like

How does it compare to the GrandMother’s?

So, how’s the miniKORG doing for you?

1 Like

I’m loving it despite all its flaws… It’s a fairly “basic” synth, in the sense that you cannot go crazy in the programming, and lots of parameters have a poor or inexistent range of setting (“sustain”, “expand”, “bright”. A few settings, like "sustain"are almost useless. The enveloppe section is awkward and not practical. And the “legato” enveloppe triggering bugs me out.
But it sounds so nice ! I’ve already recorded it a lot. For example, it’s been incredibly easy to use on a recent project where I had to quickly create “vintage” sounds, like theremin like, or brassy sounds, etc.
Definitely a great synth.

2 Likes

At some point, I was interested.

Then I remembered I had tried a 700 once… I’m not sure I would click with these commands names. I’ve become a little lazy when it comes to learning new electronic instruments: I need something I can understand quick and be kind of instinctive on. Let’s say I know myslef better with the years :slight_smile:

That being said, I must say this 700 sounds great.

Actually… you (you = I) don’t have to play all parameters all the time. You can also program the synth to have a particular sound and play the synth like this. We often want instruments with many capabilities and we often want to explore them all, but at the end of the day, having 3-6 typical sounds can give a certain character to a track list.
Just thinking about that from time to time.

AudioScape XL-305R

This is a premium spring reverb, with twelve equal temperament tuned springs which helps balance the spectral response. It includes EQ and drive controls.

They also make a software plug-in version of this.

ADDED : I see they’ll be at Superbooth ( thread ) this year.

6 Likes

I went to Synthfest last year and spent a healthy amount of time playing with the original model Soundgas had on their stand. I get that it’s limited and awkward in lots of ways but as soon as I started making noises with it I didn’t care. I love that thing!

Picked up one of these recently. Bloody lovely, it is! The filter section is pretty genius and allows you to go nicely into King Tubby terrain

2 Likes

I’m more of a summer reverb kind of guy.

That sounds great!

1 Like

It’s an absolute joy isn’t it? It’s the same company that made the Great British Spring (the iconic one that was mounted inside a length of drain pipe)

1 Like