Speedy J thread

I grew up half way between Toronto and Detroit so Speedy J was always in the mix. The Evolution EP on Plus 8 Records was standard issue.

2 Likes

Each to their own. Other way around for me lol.

1 Like

Absolutely, he’s done a wide range of music , all to high quality, tracks that are decades old but still sound good.

2 Likes

Reminds me …i should sell my su700 lol…

If I think of John Denver I think Annie’s song, If I think of Deep Purple I think Child in time, If I think of Speedy J I think De-orbit

I expected someone to post this knob twiddles hangout
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdDKU0GDr0C86QdK889s3WYeSXhAnt8lR

1 Like

This is the first thing i heard from him 1994 on a mix tape, I don’t remember the mix tape, but you can’t forget this song…

4 Likes

Octatrack isn’t synced with anything, odd setup…

5 Likes

I’m just listening to this set now am pretty blown away, tbh. Has the vibrancy of a high octane DJ set that not many live sets usually pull off. I was wondering what else he was using with the Octatrack here. Can’t tell what the machine is underneath. Hugely inspiring, regardless.

3 Likes

It’s a crazy good set right?

I think the thing under the OT is some kind of midi controller for his laptop. In the shape of Xone K2 but other brand perhaps.

OT for the cymbals swooshes and stuff?

2 Likes

i don’t think so. it doesn’t look like midi is going into or out of the OT.

i think he’s using NI dj controller and manually syncing loops and using efx from OT. Every now and then he will punch something in or out with the OT and it’s perfectly in sync.

1 Like

Traktor etc have midi sync and could be full of loops and one shots.
The tempo barely changes so I doubt keeping it in sync is tricky
I skimmed through … not for me - too repetitive to hold my attention but I’m lay on my bed looking on a phone - at an event I’d probably feel differently.

1 Like

I think it’s cool, but I literally sit in front of my setup listening to a one bar loop for 20 minutes while I get side tracked.
I think something gets lost when watching a set. Unless the crowd is non stop hands up, losing their shit, I don’t get the same levels of excitement when listening to a mixtape and driving in my car. The crowd really does make or break sets. I’m with you on my attitude changing if I’m at the gig though. That kind of excitement is unavoidable.
Man I use to feel like the coolest kid in town listening to old Bad Boy Bill, or Derrick Carter bootleg mixtapes, but I’m sure people driving next to me must have wondered if I was having a seizure.

1 Like

That was my last trip to the Netherlands on Awakenings, time flies… I see he used NI gear + Traktor, Xone 96, Faderfox controller and Ableton on another macbook.

Track is The Nighttripper - Phuture (Robert Armani Remix)

1 Like

Didn’t he used to live over a road in some building that was a square on its point? All the walls inside were all tilted.

I’ve tried looking for the interview that shows this but can never find it. Probably Future Music, Sound on Sound or something?

https://www.kubuswoning.nl/en/

1 Like

I was in that cube place last weekend. It’s not as cramped as it looks.

Yeah that’s the buildings!

I assume they must cost a lot to rent/live in?

Very cool.

Here’s an interview I found from about 25 years ago.

1 Like

You can buy from € 425.000.

This one is however € 465.000:
https://www.funda.nl/koop/rotterdam/appartement-42145794-overblaak-103/