Speedy J thread

I’ve been listening to a lot of early Speedy J stuff recently like those tracks below from Public Energy number 1. These tracks were made over 25 years ago but they still hold up well in my opinion. I love the sound of this album - dark, textured, energetic, aggresive with a hint of melody. ‘Patterns’ is an absolute masterpiece.

It also sounds to me like there are relatively few sounds in play on each track. I’ve never been able to make tracks that sound like this. Each song has a lot of texture but doesn’t sound bright and polished like a lot of modern tracks and sounds, yet it all fits so well together. Is the key here to use relatively few sound sources to get that cohesiveness? I would love to hear any thoughts on the sounds design process.

Regardless, enjoy this music and feel free to post your favourites.

19 Likes

I will only post two tracks.

But I could as well post ten of them.

4 Likes

I never listened to Speedy J but really like the first track posted.

Just read this interview:

2 Likes

7 hour ambient live set. I’ve mostly listened to the first hour or so, but I always enjoy it.

1 Like

I have very cherished memories from that:

Forever in my heart :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This remains by far my favourite track of his, and was the first time I heard of him back in 92/93, Steve Jackson played it on Kiss FM, I bought the album.

10 Likes

Here’s speedy j and his live improvised hard techno band.

3 Likes

This seems an obvious choice, but still sounds great IMO.

10 Likes

his collab with u-ziq is still one of my fav albums of all time.

which led me to this, so much personal attachment to this piece of music, lots of neck flutters and weird ancient synapse connections. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

one of my favs for sure, the STOOR project is mind blowing, love listening to their hangouts sessions…
btw the most fascinating thing about speedy j in these sessions is how versatile he is and how he adapts to nearly every style…

4 Likes

Was about to post pannik…prob my fav from him back in the day

2 Likes

The 2 x yamaha su700 live set…saw him tour that set

Was a great night

6 Likes

symmetry. speedy j for dolphins

4 Likes

I saw him Detroit 2001? with that setup, i think he played 4 hours? BRUTAL!

3 Likes

Especially the part between 7 and 16 min; pure autechre

4 Likes

i liked this mix i did a while ago.
noisy distorted breaks with mellow shoegaze ulrich schnauss
ive done similar with mellow boards of canada tracks too , both work well.

jump to 51 minutes if the link isnt doing it.

2 Likes

…the good old dutch connection…

1 Like

if i’m honest i find this stuff dull as fuck.it does nothing for me.(i might enjoy it a lot more in a club where the bass is lifting me off the ground)
but his warp electronica stuff and noisy distorted breaks style stuff i like a lot.

i first heard of him from mtv adverts for very cheesy euro rave compilations…
anyone remember mtv ?

The collabs 3000 album with Chris Liebing though…. :+1::+1::+1::ok_hand:

2 Likes

I’ve always loved this mash up with De-Orbit.

2 Likes