Sp303 or sp404sx?

[b]I’ve had the 404 and still own a 303. Here’s some pros and cons:

303:[/b]

• 3 different sampling modes (lofi, long, normal)
  • Sounds nicer than 404 in general
  • Veeeery slow loading times
  • Plasticy feel, probably breaks easily

404:

• Battery powered
  • Feels more sturdy than 303
  • Faster loading times than 303
  • Only two sampling modes
  • Not as nice sound as 303

Conclusion:
303 wins for me because I’m more concerned with sound than workflow and mainly use it inside of my studio.

I don’t take memory cards in regard as I never bothered to save anything on my machines. I record thet output and then I clear the memory card.

Also one very important thing to note is that none of the SP offers chromatic pitching of the samples that sound nice. For this reason I love the Zoom Sampletrak as mentioned in this thread. Using the old trick of sampling at 45 rpm +8 and then pitching down inside of the machine yields really nice results on that one.

I admit, i havent´t read all the posts, just wanted to add, that I do use OT and Sp404SX together live (besides some synths and Rhodes Piano).

I use the 404 for always having direct access to some one shot samples, live speech, FX, sirenes, star trek phaser and beam me up, scotty. things that have no time - no time stretch nesessary. sometimes intros. and in case the OT gets stuck (or is it me?), the 404 saves my live with a longer sample.

also great for just adding some samples to “normal” jazz concerts - simple and fun.

andajazz

Hello Everyone,hope someone can help me!!i own a sp-303 since almost 4 years and i love the sound of it,also i have a octatrack since a year and i cue out to the sp as effects.
just found a sp-404sx for a reasonable price and thought to sell my 303 and buy the 404sx…after reading all the post here i feel so lost!
do you guys think i should sell my 303 and buy 404sx?
is it worth it?

The 303 sounds better to me, so if you are just using as an fx send I would stick with the 303 IMO.

The 303 sounds better to me, so if you are just using as an fx send I would stick with the 303 IMO.[/quote]
Thank you vitual flannel! i guess that’s what gonna happen :slight_smile:

Thats a very interesting thread!

I m considering a lot of time now to get a sampler and was looking to the SP series but it gets really confusing sometimes.

I dont know anything about sampling yet and i m planning to use it basically for anything, from my father’s vast vinyl collection to synth riffs from my volcas or A4, even AR…loops, one shots, ambient sounds etc

Still dont know which SP would be best suited for my case…

There is a lot of debate going on about the best SP in terms of sound/portability/workflow whatever

Which one would you choose?

There is a rumour that Roland will show the new sampler at NAMM 2016, so I would wait and decide later.

i own a sp-303 since long time,it’s amazing! as sound quality…i don’t really use the pad because it’s slow to add/copy/rec… i guess whatever you find in market for a reasonable price,just buy it…you won’t regret it :slight_smile:

everyone is speaking about it,but i’m sure it will be too expensive to buy!

I’ve had all of them. My favorite one by far is the OG SP404 (silver). This is my fourth time owning one. The Vinyl Sim compressor and beat repeat effect are the main reasons I love this sampler so much. I like how the OG SP404 sounds best.

Here’s a track I made awhile back on the OG SP404; you can hear the vinyl sim compressor, beat repeat, and lo-fi effects of the SP. I actually plan on getting a Squarp Pyramid to pair with the SP when they’re available again; I think that would be an amazing combo.

https://soundcloud.com/prints/time-machine

1 Like

Dope!i like the vinyl compressor,sounds really nice on the 404,
actually can’t find any difference between the vinyl sim on the 404vs303
did you own a 404sx?

Dope!i like the vinyl compressor,sounds really nice on the 404,
actually can’t find any difference between the vinyl sim on the 404vs303
did you own a 404sx?[/quote]
Actually, that’s the only one I haven’t owned yet, but I have no interest because it is missing the vinyl sim compressor. The vinyl sim compressor on the 303 and OG 404 are slightly different. The 303 seems just slightly more drastic and less boomy. They’re both way cool. The 404sx stopped using the compressed data format that the OG 404 had. This actually is like an effect in itself, the OG 404 has a very crisp present sound that seems to boost the mid highs a bit. The SP-555 is cool too; it’s missing the vinyl sim compressor as well, but it has a pretty interesting lo-fi compressor. OG 404 is my favorite though.

1 Like

oh! i didn’t know it’s missing the vinyl sim compressor!
ii use the vinyl sim compressor the most,so i’m definitely sticking with my 303…thank for the informations Prints
cheers :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think the main appeal of the 404SX is the fact that you can drag and drop wav files from your computer to the SD card, or just the ability to record or have very long samples on it. And the speed of working with samples. For sound I’d go with one of the older SP.

The 404SX was my first piece of electronic kit and I still have it but still plan on getting a 303. The 303 interests me most (beyond its sound) because you can sample into it while playing back samples, something which was always a huge obstacle (and learning experience) for me with the 404SX.

Great track btw, Prints.

2 Likes

Yes there is! When you’re preparing to resample you just press the stereo button so it turns of :slight_smile:

I would say that for me the worst use of the 404 is to drag and drop files into it, its all about directly sampling into it from multiple sources!

The loop capture on the 555 makes it so much more useful, you can resample whole sequences to one pad perfectly in time (just one use)

Also velocity sensitive pads. Doesn’t sound as good as 404 but still really good

1 Like

Do you have any in mind? Very interested to check this out as a possibility but sceptical of the price tag there

Oh yeah, it’s definitely all about direct sampling with these things, but for instance I have a gig coming up and the fact I can load stems directly from the computer is super convenient. I plan on directly sampling lots of drum loops and other parts to layer in, but I wouldn’t want to have to do that for all the tracks involved in this 45 minute set. I would certainly take a 555!

1 Like

To be fair you have a point. I did a gig once with just an og 404 and recorded every track in real time and then chopped the start points by ear. Luckily they were all mainly 1 - 2 minutes long max and I just fired through them all

1 Like