SoundCloud for Artists (distributing your music)- any thoughts?

Hi Elektronauts,

Anyone knows more about Soundcloud Repost or uses it for their music distribution?
I noticed it’s included in my pro account…
i’m worried about hidden fees for example… Xxx I’m still going through their terms & conditions

https://www.repostnetwork.com/

Sorry, this is not helping you, but a question I have about SoundCloud Pro/Repost:

If you share a song on Spotify, Apple Music, etc. but later cancel your SoundCloud subscription. Does your song remain on the streaming services, or will they only exist while you pay SoundCloud subscription? I’ve not been able to get a clear answer to this on SoundCloud website.

1 Like

@aloud no problem I will try to find an answer in their terms & conditions :grimacing:xxx

2 Likes

They are just offering distribution services to the main stores. Don’t count on them actively pitching your track to anyone. And if they do, you are not going to be making much money as they will likely keep most of it. Classic music industry tactic.

Full disclosure, I run a music distribution service of my own. We offer unlimited distribution for $20/year and you keep 100% of your royalties. Or we have a free plan where you can distribute unlimited tracks/albums while keeping 90% of your royalties. If you like the SoundCloud platform, go with them. If you don’t have a preference, you have other options.

2 Likes

I used to use Distrokid but for my last release I experimented with releasing via SoundCloud (not promoting, just releasing). As far as I can tell it’s on all streaming platforms right now. I am on NextPro and I don’t think I was charged anything extra.

1 Like

No extra fees whatsoever with SoundCloud, and you keep 100% of the royalties. Been using them for years at this point. No complaints.

Now the service is called Soundcloud for Artists - https://artists.soundcloud.com/ – maybe @Alienna or a moderator can rename this topic?

I’m using this service as well. It works, and I can’t compare it to other distribution services because this is the only one I have used. They keep announcing improvements but I don’t pay too much attention to them. I just wanted a way to distribute my occasional single to Spotify, Google Music, etc.

My only complaint is that the request to connect your releases in Youtube Music with your YouTube account takes forever (apparently) and you don’t get a way to track progress.

3 Likes

Done & thank you for updating @icaria36
interesting to know.
I also noticed they do mastering but I don’t know the quality of that service

1 Like

I wonder who that is serious about releasing music would use one of those automatic mastering services :thinking: :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

You mean like instead of the release being on your topic channel, that it comes up on your own personal channel?

What do you mean with track progress?

No expectations over here when it comes to SoundCloud :wave::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

One thing remains unclear is whether the tracks are taken down if you unsubscribe. I also don’t like they have absolutely NO customer service. You never get any responses.

1 Like

Me too! But so far I have released two songs to the big platforms (both mastered by a human that I paid for) and many more on Soundcloud itself, where I try the mastering tool because it’s free, and if I like the result I keep it. To me that’s the point of Soundcloud, a place where you can publish acceptable music without needing 100% polish.

I mean this:

How do I get an official artist channel on YouTube?

Please send us links to both your YouTube channel as well as a link to the topic channel with your music, and we can make this request for you. Please note that currently it will take YouTube a couple of months to perform quality assurance and then upgrade the channel to an OAC. For more information on Official Artist Channels, check out this article: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/7336634.

@DJCHEMIE said it better:

To be fair, I got a response once, when I reported an account as spam that turned out to be legit.

Actually, I’m going to ask them now about that YouTube account connection, and I’ll report here if there is any response. It’s been a while that I requested it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

i have also used it for distribution, i had an annoying thing happen recently tho.

uploaded a mixtape and their system wouldnt let me title it what i wanted because it didnt “match the text on the artwork.” the artwork was just a close up shot of my ep133. i submitted a support ticket in January, just received the first email back today. i just changed the artwork or the title i cant remember which after it was clear they weren’t getting back to me, thats some seriously wack response time. especially if i was a serious act trying to do a serious release.

3 Likes

I’ve had that happen with ditto. Never with SoundCloud. On exactly the same releases too. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Yeah I don’t understand their business model. There are probably thousands of people waiting to ditch Distrokid or others since you get distribution with NextPro. I tried it only for my latest release and I literally got no responses from them for at least a month. I got it released but I couldn’t get any answers to my questions yet.

seems like a weird system, like these services never thought that maybe the artwork would have text other than the title. very strange

If you were distributing to Apple Music through it that would be at least one reason for a rejection. They’re annoyingly anal about requirements for artwork to contain artist & title on them (+ any featured primary artists too in those instances).

I’d avoid SC for distro personally not least because of all platforms you’re able to distro through SC are at the most risk of going under in the intermediate-future

2 Likes

Like going out of business? Is SC not doing well?

I know. Most of my art does have text other than the title though and it has been released through sc without issues :man_shrugging: