Switch from distrokid to?

CD Baby is a good shout, they’re owned by Downtown who own FUGA and a lot of their functionality is ported across to the CD Baby platform which is really nice, and the analytics back end offers a lot of the same of FUGA’s. Can’t remember the list of CDB’s distro reach but if it matches FUGA’s you’ll get your music everywhere you want it.

Tunecore is a good option too, though there’s a few criticisms coming out about them essentially regarding them poorly handling cases of streaming fraud, though all distros are handling the struggle of streaming fraud pretty poorly right now particularly after Spotify have now put the pressure on distros to handle it and penalise them for not dealing with it. Tunecore is owned by Believe so another very reputable industry standard distro’s capability gets ported across. Believe are currently in a weird state looking for a buyout from a consortium but out of nowhere Warner now want to buy it, so who knows what deal is gonna be made there and what that could mean for Tunecore.

2 Likes

I mentioned it in another post up thread, but another positive experience with CD Baby here. No issues at all.

2 Likes

It sucks but it’s been a profitable run for the last 9+ years. I don’t have any regrets.

The fines are VERY impactful. Less than 1% of our catalog got flagged and fined. Distrokid has a catalog size of about 60m tracks. Even if Spotify flags and fines for .01% of their catalog, that’s roughly $660,000 in fines. Each month.

That story is interesting. I’m positive it’s happening and it’s very widespread. Major labels are using bots. Spotify only issues fines when they detect over 90% of the streams so it’s easy for a label, with financial backing, to bump their numbers 30-50% and still go under the radar. Spotfiy doesn’t pay for fake streams. So those 30-50% of streams won’t bring in any extra royalties but they make for great headlines like, ‘their new single hit 1m in streams in 24 hours!’

6 Likes

Based on the youtube videos I’ve seen, it appears that Tunecore was just pocketing the royalties when they detected streaming fraud. Keep in mind, they had the option to return it. And probably an obligation to do so based on their contract with the platform…I think this is just the tip of the iceburg with Tunecore.

CDBaby is a great alternative!

3 Likes

How did you get on with SoundCloud?

I have a pro account so for no additional cost I could use it.

Mine is NextPro so I don’t know if there’s any difference. Here’s how it goes. If you go to SoundCloud for artists page, you can upload your track/album and go through all the regular things you do like in Distrokid (release date, clearances, writers, composer etc.). Then decide which platforms you want it to be released on and scheduled it. That’s it. And then you can apply for “monetizing” so they keep track and pay you.

I must warn you if you are stuck or need help you will absolutely WILL NOT get any reply from SoundCloud so be aware 🤷. I did it for my last release and I will keep doing for my future ones. Why would I pay for Distrokid, when i got this via SoundCloud…

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback.

I am going to give it a try and I have just checked and I have a Next Pro account. Fingers crossed it works better than my experience with DistroKid whose support is nonexistent.

1 Like

I too have a NextPro account, but on the SoundCloud for Artists page, I do not see how you can release tracks on any other platforms besides SoundCloud. Also, you cannot (at least for now) release tracks under a second artist name/identity.

Once you upload the track and go through the first a few steps, you reach to the page where you select the streaming platforms. I wish I was on my computer for a screenshot.

1 Like

Oh I see it! Thanks.

By the way it sounds ridiculous but you have manually upload and schedule the release for SoundCloud :joy: when I got it released, I was looking where the hell the track was on my page. Then realized it’s not there unless you do it on your own. Such a joke. But it is what it is…

Anyone else have any input on DiGiDi? Ive been trying to decide on a distributor for my first two songs and they seem like the most stable & honest game in town.

1 Like

Hi, there is a topic dedicated to SoundCloud for Artists (distributing your music)- any thoughts?

I have asked the same question about DiGiDi in a couple of places and got positive feedback but from indirect sources. I couldn’t find someone using the service. But I contacted them and they responded quickly with information and an invitation to chat. It is a legitimate cooperative organized by its members and they have been in this business for a long time.

1 Like

My opinion:

Distrokid - never ever $$$ @.@
CDBaby - good, as was written above :wink:
amuse io - is free, recommending that

No longer, unfortunately.

1 Like

argh, too bad …

(well, personally I don’t want to use anything other than bandcamp anymore anyway)

same!

1 Like

Hi.
Check LANDR. They have distribution only plans. I’m using them since years.
Currently cheapest unlimited distribution plan I 23,99 USD per year.

Cheers

Yeah they’ve definitely not handled it well at all, but it’s very out of character for a distro to act in the way that’s being highlighted. I’m a pretty sceptical person, and am pretty sure there’s a lot more to it than we are given insight into.
That being said absolutely cannot condone the face value behaviour of that report it is awful treatment.