Sound Quality OT ;)

2 Likes

yes that’s right, lofi not. more like neutral, but strangely still very different from the ableton part.

I thought it was the closest to the ableton version out of the four, but my ears are old and my definition of “critical listening” is when I hear pop music and say “this sounds crap” so I’m not a good judge

I’m not that familiar with stimming and I’m probably not a fan. But I know that he is professional and makes his money from performances and productions. When you hear him talk, he also sounds very accomplished when it comes to sound. Here he addresses exactly the topic from minute 29 and I think that’s how it is. Even in the MK2 version, cheap converters were used, which in the end are rather unusable in the studio for really professional producers. That’s why most professionals tend to use it in the club, if at all.

The claim is specifically that it sounds bad (for example “dusty” and “lofi”) which is just lolwut

The circle is now complete

And don’t miss the pinned comment on that video which addresses some of his statements in the video.

7 Likes

I’m very sure… you can only understand that if you’ve actually had really high-quality converters. It’s hard for everyone to go crazy - that’s just how it is. They’re just crappy converters with bad luck.

He just revised it to accommodate people, but he definitely means it :wink:

1 Like

lmaooo

1000s complaints, no kidding — you alone trolled out hundreds now.
but even a million of flat earthers all stamping their tiny feet with certainty can’t flatten this huge planet Earth…
or unflatten the OT sound. its user base, the longevity, the pro users, the tests — all speak to the contrary: the SQ is flat enough and well above anyone’s personal perception and speculation.

2 Likes

well because someone comes every now and then and seems determined to prove the point arguing first from their fine perceptions, then from their huge experience, then from the great authority (Stimming’s hearsay usually goes fine). they repeat the same arguments all over, then another troll chimes in and it looks a choir now.
meanwhile, caring users try to help, then seeing no help is asked for, try to argue with science, then other interested users join in interesting tech discussion, while the trolls vanish… to return in a week with a final blow, and then be buried until another flatearther decides to share their pain without studying the history books

5 Likes

Because anyone can join the internet and yell “Subjective thing!” without doing any of the work to make objective measurements? And then everyone who also doesn’t want to do any work will see it as an invitation to share their own subjective opinions?

Bam! Thread!

6 Likes

I’m willing to bet you would only pass the a/b with modern converters (even just-bearable vs ‘best’) only if judging the very specific and very short music fragment, going over it a dozen of times and keeping attention to the very specific things… and even then, it’s often ‘different’ but not ‘good & bad’. the next futility to try out is to compare cables

and no, Octa’s converters aren’t crappy
I have my reservations re: Stimming’s ‘live mastering’ box components though ))

Personally, I know how difficult it is to criticize equipment - you always run the risk of being misunderstood. but I don’t care :clown_face:

On the other hand, I think it’s important to honestly complain about certain shortcomings of a product, without putting anything over the top or thinking someone is stupid. especially if it is in the higher price segment. The company may also react in this way and we would then prefer to save money in other areas. It’s not an insult. I think professionals know very well what they mean. And in every decent studio or home studio you see these big, expensive converters. At least for those who are really successful with their work.

stimming put it very well by giving an appeal to elektron why the heck such an expensive device had a cheap converter installed. he also said that this is not the case with DT. and the DT also sounds different. And if anyone says that’s not the case, then sorry…

The ot is a super creative tool in the studio, I personally can’t get my hands on it anymore because I believe that something interesting awaits us from elektron, which will either expand or replace the ot.

What “science” or arguments am I ignoring?

All people have to say (vaguely) is that it is so easy to mess up your gain staging on OT and that results in a bad sound.

For me, this is just to find out what other people think and to keep my ears from spinning and I can save money.

the fact that you are then criticized yourself must be accepted lol

When I spend money on hardware, the quality of the sound reproduction is incredibly important. I don’t care what it is like for others. I’m a fan of the combination of hardware and computers anyway - hardware must really be a reason for me to buy it because I also use DAW.

What about the sound quality of OT’s time stretching and effects and so on. It was for me the reason to get something else :space_invader:

I don’t think the people saying it sounds bad are literally trolling. I’m sure they are sincere and are not just trying to wind people up

2 Likes

science: all the tests people carried out, incl. the null test, took their time and effort. the denial takes a little. simple search is easier than a new thread.
but that’s when someone’s genuinely interested, when they want to learn. when someone wants to come out with a certain agenda… it becomes a new thread when a few still brave and honest souls try to educate a troll, then the angrier ones like me appear and it comes to this.

and no, people did say something different to the way you put it: that once you learn the gain staging, you never make the instrument sound bad again. which is what you and Orbax can’t take easy. but the thing is, you have no argument (but from own perception), nor a point in this argument. it’s so futile to prove the OT sounds bad… not only because it doesn’t, but because it’s such an old, established instruments. the one you don’t even have before you (two, with Orbax), as I gather. so it’s a theoretical sort of argument from those who don’t really want to learn theory or try in practice

hence an obvious case of trolling

2 Likes

every time another appears, I certainly think they are.
but then when we see that they neither searched through the older threads (full of interesting observations and community knowledge shared), nor respect objective arguments, constantly inventing the new ones of their own to prove… what exactly? to whom?