Sound Quality OT ;)

YO!

If I record the beautiful pure analog sounds from the Rytm and the A4 directly into the OT and mix and arrange them over the OT and then record the entire track in the OT to master it later on the DAW, then something of the warm analog will work Sound lost or is that total bullshit? I mean, there are people in studios who are really investing an outrageous amount of money into your conversion. I don’t have the OT yet, but I am considering producing it in the future because in the end I am always a bit annoyed by the DAW …

Sure, this topic already exists, but somehow I don’t get a good answer together … so the tracks should work well in clubs in the end …

PEACE, Rob

3 Likes

Sorry, but you won’t get a good answer together here either. Just another endless amount of controversial answers until the thread gets merged with the neverending big thread.
So it’s easier to pick an answer from existing threads or just to buy one and make your own experience.
People hate it, others love it. End of story :see_no_evil:

29 Likes

You will get every answer possible to this one but I can just emphasize that the OT sound quality will not make or break your tracks - it’s as simple as that :slight_smile:

No need to worry about it at all - instead, embrace its world (it’ll take you QUITE some time to exhaust) and just enjoy :grinning:

12 Likes

case closed. Maybe a previously from another user (who isn’t me) and a topic close from the mods :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Nothing to see here! Please move along!

4 Likes

I would suggest changing the title of the thread to something more specific than Sound Quality

You’re begging for your thread to be locked prematurely otherwise, for reasons already posted by others.

1 Like

… just sittin’ here waitin’ on them flags !

the perceived or actual quality of the OT should not be a determining factor in chosing it - any marginal gains this way or that mean nothing in a club setting if the device is at least used to its strengths - nobody’s gonna complain, but the ability to master it and actually play it will win admiration - everything has strengths, play to its strengths and understand how to make it shine - as said, end of story - this has been discussed a lot

10 Likes

I put wooden end cheeks on my OT, and always keep at least 3 succulents nearby to preserve the analog warmth of anything it samples.

45 Likes

…well…well…well…since u got two truu analog devices there…which take lot’s of their sonic charme from exactly the plain fact that they’re truuly analog as analog can get…

there’s of course something start to miss out, once u run their signal more than ONCE through the a decade old mid class converters of the ot…

that’s totally ok if ur in a live situation…
but recording into, mixin in, resampling again and then final recording out of the ot will make a difference for sure…

not to mention proper gainstaging in different internal rerecording situations all inbetween and on top of ur sonic cake…

so…yes…u hear right…sure u loose some magic in first and last place…

2 Likes

Got my popcorn ready. Bring it on folks!

3 Likes

Observations on OT Air pressure vibration Objective attributes analysis

… that could maybe save the topic, for a few hours

However you spin it, it always tends to end in the same place

I’ve no doubt the AR direct will be just that teeny tiny bit more special in a critical listening situation and needs less precautions, but if you need the OT or a sampler, you need it, so what’s the best option then - i don’t see near imperceptible losses as being an issue in that context and worrying about it is a moot point if you want or need to pass the signal via the OT anyway - with wise gain staging and less time stretching it still brings so much more to the creative table than any conversion losses may take away

each to their own - if it doesn’t inspire so be it, i just think the narrative that the sound quality is a thing relates to underwhelming first impressions or maybe a bit of misuse

it doesn’t seem to get in Cenk’s way - focus more on what it can do and less on what it doesn’t do compared to other gear, it can’t be all things

my gripe with it is the clunky/ugly/busy UI, i much prefer the look/feel of later Elektrons - so i’d say that was more of a downside than the perceived quality issues … but there’s nothing else quite like the OT so it comes back to doing the best with it as it is or letting it go, but that should involve a bit of time to try to understand its depth and nuances and see if it’s one for you - there’s usually always compromises

trying it out is the only way to really know as suggested or check through loads of demos - keep in mind it’s a performance sampler, it’s not some mastering gear - use it as intended where its converters are not an issue

9 Likes

not microwaved hopefully, gotta be heated old-school :tongue:

3 Likes

You may have inspired a new name for the topic of this thread:

OT - Can I use it for mastering?

7 Likes

This is a good idea for the title.

3 Likes

Nope. They are hybrid devices (analog sound sources, but digitally controlled + digital fxs) …

:wink:

2 Likes

Use 24bits

3 Likes

OT is such a Merger.

yes, Digitakt, Digitone, Analog Four sounds better.
Octatrack changes the sound a lot.
In the studio you will hear differences.
But not on stage.
I use the device as a looper and mixer.
At the end of the signal chain there is an analog heat.
Works perfectly for me.
Every device has its own character. Live with it, use it.

2 Likes

I use the OT to process the drum mix coming from the Modular.
Stereo Out into OT Inputs C D.
I use a Thru track on T4 for that.
FX1 for Filter, Distortion turned up quite a bit. Cutting some Lowend and a Tiny bit of Highend with Base and With. Small amount of resonance, also Synced LFO on the filter base, to get kind of a ducking effect.
FX2 for EQ, Cutting out some Mud in the LowMid Range.

Also have a LFO on amp volume just for a really subtle sidechain.

One Track on the OT does alot processing on a Drummachine here. The Filter and EQ are Amazing to make space for the Kicks and Bass coming from the OT itself is really a gamechanger.

IMO it’s all about learning, and developing your skills. If you want to make something sound better in a mix, the OT can do that for sure.

4 Likes

OT is imho a good mixer (if you don’t own a proper mixing desk) and a live performance swiss army knife. I wouldn’t use it for production anymore - maybe for vocal samples / manual granular stuff with the crossfader - for everything else I’d use my AR or DT because they sound much nicer. Maybe I’d use the stems from those (after using OB to make loopable stems) and put them on the OT for live performance (instead of pulling out my new shiny AR / A4 and use it in a dusty DJ booth).

Also from the last discussion … one thing I remember: Always use it in 24 bit mode.

2 Likes

…good to let me know, dear…

and congrats to the medal of honour for “nitpicker of the year”… :wink:
truuly deserved…

so let’s drop the claim again…analog heart, digital mind…

2 Likes