Sound of MK1 vs MK2

:+1:t3:

It has balanced inputs while the MK1 doesn’t. I don’t know how much that affects anything, personally I haven’t noticed any noise on my MK1.

Apart from that they’re supposed to be identical?

1 Like

They’re supposed to be identical. Same hardware apart from the inputs, same firmware. You can load up the same project on both and they should sound identical.

1 Like

I had a mk1 and mk2 at same time, I could not really hear any difference when loading projects made in the mk1 into the mk2, but bear in mind I wasn’t looking for any, and it was far from a scientific exercise, rather that nothing jumped out as being different.

1 Like

MKI is VERY old, so it’s much more vintage, very analog sound…

7 Likes

Very 70’s, yes. MK2 is more like the 90s.

2 Likes

1 Like

MKI have OctaSpiders, having a noticeable impact on components improvements.

2 Likes

If you need to be so specific about this that you need lab gear to tell the difference, what’s the context in where this difference will matter?

3 Likes

:ok_hand:t2:

I never felt the OT’s sound was “grainy.” at least not in an SP1200 sorta way. and I’ve owned both mk variants (never heard a major difference between them, btw). but I guess maybe if you throw the lo-fi effect on everything… :thinking:

I think there’s pluses and minuses of both. but ultimately the improved workflow is why I prefer the mk2.

Specifications of both MK1 and 2 are on Elektron site.
As I remember MK2 has a slightly better noise level.
Also power supply is redesigned, probably better.
I don’t think any software performance had been changed.

(Colour as in paint job. )

Which is why s little context will help us, help you. You want something, you gotta share something.

At least you can tell a difference between black and grey. Not so much with OT mk1 and mk2 audio.

One is black. One is grey

I think the only thing that’s different between the MK1 and MK2 is the inputs are a little louder, meaning you don’t have to gain them to get signal. The rest is cosmetic. There are a bunch of long threads on here about the differences between the two. I could search them if you need.
My opinion-They both sound great. There you go.

Here are some other opinions.

2 Likes

MK2 inputs have more headroom? Better at avoiding clipping with hot modular signals? I’ve only used MK1s.