Sonicware SmplTrek

I doubt it. Sonicware is an established company and I don’t believe they’ve ever Kickstarted anything.

Edit: nvm, apparently it IS a kickstarter campaign. That seems odd to me

1 Like

This is a teaser for a Kickstarter campaign? Bummer. Looking forward to the next 18 months of development updates posted to this thread.

1 Like

The 8bit Warps was a Kickstarter.

3 Likes

Interesting.

For some reason, I thought since the ELZ didn’t get a kickstarter then there would be no reason for there to be a subsequent kickstarter

But, I suppose that if a previous kickstarter finished without incident- then there’s nothing to be wary of this one

2 Likes

Nah no need to be cynical here, the Liven 8bit Kickstarter ended 2/29/2020 and I received mine the first week of October 2020. That’s 7 months, if you’re looking for precedent. Take a look at the pre-order periods for the Liven XFM and the Bass & Beats, very short time from announcement to ship (Bass & Beats isn’t shipping yet, but will be soon). They don’t announce the products until they are a ways into development.

edit: Actually looks like some people have been receiving the Bass & Beats.

1 Like

looks great!

I’m intrigued

According to the date/time given the kickstarter should be live…but I can’t see it. Any news on FB?

Not until 8PM Pacific. 45 minutes to go.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sonicware/smpltrek-portable-production-sampler

2 Likes

Eh. No slicing its presentation is super limited(and gimmicky)

Its probably a better step up from the Roland iteration of a track maker.

1 Like

I see this in the description:
“Sampled sounds can be quickly assigned to pads with auto-slicing, and can also be edited manually in detail by viewing the waveform display.”

3 Likes

Some pretty interesting details all throughout the extended description on KS, I’d encourage anyone interested to read through after watching the video. I see also that the Sonicware vice president is ex-Zoom, that’s interesting as well!

Okay. I see that too now. I don’t know why that wasn’t demonstrated in the demo video

It could be a quality device. I didn’t care much for the tactile interface of the ELZ. so I’ll consider watching this. The keys looks like an improvement.

I will say this makes more sense for a portable solution than the ELZ- perhaps this was their attention all along.

The knobs on their previous devices were fun- vampires, but maybe it was all in service of portability.

290 USD isn’t a lot of money(as it stands) perhaps I could use a portable field recorder/track maker

very interesting video, I think their target market is extremely small, but I wish them the best and look forward to their further endeavors.

1 Like

I dunno man the knobs on the ELZ are great, precise little encoders, I use mine all the time and they are nice and solid and have a great feel. I love that the software uses acceleration for them too, super fast to use. Maybe yours was from a different batch or something and used a different part. I do really wish they keys were rubber pads in the same shape, with velocity and aftertouch (afterpress?). It would be way better that way.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be so sure, 123 people have purchased one in less than two hours! I think they are going to blow past the funding goal by a gigantic amount.

1 Like

I guess they think singer songwriters will be there biggest audience?
Also respect to the guy finger drumming on those tiny pads >.<

2 Likes

Interested in seeing what the included instruments are. Specs look decent. Certainly plenty of recording time per sample (180 minutes). Also cool that they chose WAV format and also have all those different input options with fx (hope they sound good).
I wonder how much of said efx you can use at a time, and whether it’s just one instance per fx that you send all the tracks into or if you can stack several reverb on top of each other?
It appears that there is no internal battery (6 AA). They’re going with Mini USB 2.0 which is a bummer as I loathe mini usbs.
I know it has to be cost conscious, but it’d be a lot more appealing with clicky buttons instead of soft membrane ones. The boxyness of it isn’t the most appealing as well.
The NES style of controls might work out well for something like this. It’s a cool little box all said and done. A bit ambitious what with the price point and list of features.
Wish that team all the best. I do enjoy feature rich portable track making boxes.

1 Like

There’s a real 90’s vibe over this thing

2 Likes