Sonicware Liven Lofi 12

Yep. I did not own one (but was looking) and many reviews were like “a lot of good ideas implemented badly”. Just one bad UI element here or bad feature there and it became not a good package (“sum is bigger than parts bla bla”).

Yeah they certainly make it look like an Akai but I think you’re right that it is probably more similar in sound to the yamaha/casio fun samplers. A lot of the old Akai stuff people are into had interesting interpolation or even a few units had clock per voice for pitching/samplerate, they pretty quickly moved to a basic interpolation as things moved into higher quality. To my ears it doesn’t quite hit the mark of the lofi akai sound.

Doesn’t mean what it is isn’t really cool though, the more samplers the merrier I say.

2 Likes

Can you play via audio in an external song and output as 12 bit, just wanting to use device as FX box.

Am I the only poor bastard singing “Living La Vida Lofi” in his head while waiting on your Lofi12? Also stoked to try the old sampler trick and record some high pitched arp noodles into this thing and then -12 dat

2 Likes

well I think we know your first project on it has to be a vaporwave version of livin’ la vida loca

Ave Mcree

4 Likes

I preordered one. It has everything i need for quick beat sessions. And i like the character of the sound even though it might not be “real” 12 bit crunch.
The laid back function is pretty cool too. I’m surprised that some people hate on it. Of course you can nudge steps around in your groovebox or daw but most people who make beats for fun don’t use it and so their beats sound pretty robotic. Even the Digitakt can’t nudge a whole track. I always have to move all the steps by hand.

Nice machine :slight_smile:

My favorite yoututber.

2 Likes

I think I’ll order one. Mainly because it can play sample polyphonically. I don’t care about the sequencer but I think it could be a good companion to the OT for polyphonic stuff.

• Not sure given what I’ve read, but do you think I could use it as a set of 64 ‘kits’ of 4 sounds ? (using empty patterns as sound kits).
  • Is the 10 voice polyphony per voice or for the whole machine ?
  • Is there any way to back it up ? No SD card, and no USB !!
2 Likes

what is the deal with the overlay, I mean … why?

2 Likes

Ask Moog, Arturia, Erica synths, to name but a few.

The answer is pretty simple. Space.
Double functions are pretty difficult to label and keep the device portable/small/affordable.

2 Likes

Cool, except that you can’t record notes off grid, which is super lame.

I guess we’ll see, maybe they become second nature fast enough but it seems like the overlay is for the mundane stuff rather than the esoteric. I almost feel like they didn’t want to mess up it’s default looks… it does look clean

1 Like

but that laid back feature is nice though, I bet off grid is gonna be one of their biggest feature request

1 Like
3 Likes
3 Likes

wish they’d give Dakim an L-12, seee what it do

8 Likes

Man this video brings me back. DAKIM SP DELAY METHOD FTW. Remember how this changed the game on the SP forums. Inspired me to find weirdo cheat codes every device i use!

7 Likes

What gear is that?