Sonicware ELZ_1 New portable synth

They’re kinda apples to oranges. The XD will be slightly more versatile ultimately. The ELZ_1 will be more portable and distinct sounding. One is analog, the other is unabashedly digital. FWIW I wasn’t a huge fan of the XD or the Prologue sound. Not that it matters compared to the ELZ_1.

1 Like

A new issue has arisen. It seems that on certain types of sounds, you can very noticeably hear the filter “zippering” or “stair stepping” instead of a nice, smooth transition. It occurred to my only under high resonance settings and manual sweeping of the frequency while using the LPF-12 filter. The LFO doesn’t seem to infer the same characteristics.

How about ELZ_1 vs. OP-Z instead? They’re close enough in price and they’re both somewhat pocket-sized little mini-workstation digital synths.

Have both OPs :slight_smile:

Then I guess flip a coin. :joy:

I have a personal preference which is hardly a secret but this is an ELZ_1 thread.

1 Like

Have them both. I’d say the OP-Z is the better choice if you have no other gear. It has a sequencer and can load samples. That being said, the onboard voices are a mixed bag and can get stale quickly. Also, The midi implementation is wonky unless you have the OpLab as it’s USB-C only and most hubs don’t work with it.

The ELZ_1 is a lot easier to play, the voices are far easier to edit and tweak, it has a display, and it’s creator is actively part of a FB group and is sharing upcoming plans and taking suggestions… I can’t really say the same about TE lately…

If I had to sell one of them, it would be the Z. I love the Z but I prefer the playability of the ELZ_1.

4 Likes

Just got the ELZ - @brandonsarkis where is the facebook group? Thanks!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sonicware.elz1/?ref=share

1 Like

Any more opinions about it?
Can it sample/how does sample load function?
Whats the aux in good for?
One fx at a time?
Thanks

1 Like

I wanna bump thissss
Anyone using this with a digitakt?

I forgot it existed, but I do want one and would use it with my DT if I did own.

Yeah I think they would make a great pair, polyphony and aux in effects are what the digitakt is missing imo

Anyone here on the board who owns and uses the ELZ_1? Would love to hear some thoughts and maybe some audio, there isn’t enough out there on YT!

Surprised there isn’t more chatter about this!

1 Like

Hi there!
Great synth, sounds very impressive!
Upto 4 fx, nice modulation and arp, few synth engine, battery operated, speaker, aux in and more. So excited to own this one.

1 Like

I use mine constantly, it’s fantastic. Always in my backpack inside the case from Analog cases. I use a usb battery. Sequencer is super fun to program and play over.

1 Like

I just saw the price drop on this to $449 USD. That seems like a great value. I need another digital hardware synth like a hole in the head but this device seems very cool. Anybody jump in with this now that the price has gone down?

1 Like

Where are you seeing that? That’s a good price!

1 Like

Yes. I didn’t realize it till after I made the order that I’ve been looking for a good poly digital synth for a while. I’m hoping this is the thing I’ve been looking for a mixture of Blofeld, Micromonsta and Monomachine lo-finess.

Doing my research, it also looks like you can apply reverb and delay to incoming signals. Which is always a good thing.

It’s on their site.

I purchased this near immediately after that announcement

1 Like

You can definitely do lo-fi, and a lot of the demos show that vibe from it, but wait until you have it in your hands with a good pair of headphones plugged in; incredibly fat and super crisp sound quality, very hi-fi sound!!! Mine is here at work with me today, made some warbly chip patches over lunch.

Also just so you know, you can apply reverb OR delay to incoming signals. Just telling you now so you’re not disappointed, but yeah it is super useful.

2 Likes