"Song mode" Digitakt

Hi Pablini, did you achieve a solution? Because i just bought a Digitakt for exactly the same reason and now i realize that maybe it’s not the right thing :expressionless:

Probably a MKII won’t have song mode either, it looks like the design decision was to keep the smaller boxes simple and not give them features like song mode, kits and all that stuff.

In my case I’m fine with it. I think it’s important to research what gear can and can’t do before purchasing so it won’t come up as a surprise. A minimal would be checking the manual and scan the forums for current bugs and annoyances. Another tip for avoiding frustration is not expecting that gear will be improved over time except for bug fixes, just buy stuff for what is it now. There are times when the only way to figure out something is not for you is by purchasing it and using it for some time, for that the only way to reduce the problems is to buy used so you can at least sell it at a similar price.

1 Like

I make techno. 16 steps is 8 steps too much.

8 Likes

Made my day :smiley:

1 Like

16 is preferred but I’ll take 8…:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I don’t understand the amount of crassness in this thread.

I have a digitakt. I adore it.

If however elektron could implement a song mode and sample chop, it would be complete for me.

Don’t even need overbridge

1 Like

And I’m nearly not joking… (You know… Conditional trigs…).

Who knows ? Never used it… 1 pattern = 1 song :joy:

1 Like

The absurdity of having to do that on a digital device in 2018 is too much for me to take.

1 Like

IMO as a consumer you need to research a product before buying it. If you don’t know exactly what you are getting, don’t spend your hard earned money on it. It will be a waste of money and a constant source of frustration.

It would be nice if they add a song mode but I don’t expect them to do it, they probably won’t canibalize their own product line by offering too many similar features in the different boxes.

In my case I got a used Digitakt just for it’s current feature set without expecting any extra things. I also got it after all the annoying bugs were fixed, so besides reading the manual I also scanned the forums. On the other hand I got the Digitone when it was first released, so I assumed it may have annoying bugs but I took the risk. The important things is to make and informed decision.

5 Likes

I heard rumours that companies leave out headphone jacks even from $1000+ phones. Can you believe that?

I’m voting with my wallet.

3 Likes

On the Digitakt, just a few patterns are easily a whole song if you program conditional trigs and some good fills. Trigger the fills and manually switch patterns when it feels right, use your mutes, and there you go! If you want to program out an entire song from beginning to end, just boot up ableton.

4 Likes

I’ll second this.

All these replies and no one’s said just adjust the patterns Master length to repeat the pattern as many times as you like.

2 Likes

Unless you’re playing live and you play guitar/bass/sing/horns or you just want to like actually perform, and not sit there pressing buttons the whole time.

2 Likes

Might be other products that are more suitable for that use

1 Like

You need to compromise, Digitakt is a performance piece as are all the other instruments you have, you cannot play them all at the same time without huge difficulty. Either find a digital instrument more suited for accompaniment or accept you cant do it all.

2 Likes

For recording tracks the pattern chain works fine for hands free use, allowing me to tweak my modular knobs for a good while without touching the DT.

My compromise is that I won’t buy one. Same compromise a lot of people have made. If Elektron want to cripple machines then it it will cost them sales.

2 Likes

I was about to buy a Ferrari the other day until I noticed it wouldn’t make me a cup of tea and comb my beard. What an unbelievable lack of features! Well I can tell you that I stand firmly in protest against this and will not EVER buy a Ferrari. :joy:

4 Likes