"Song mode" Digitakt

True, but Elektron did say they would try to provide a viable option to no song mode.

1 Like

totally get the way you use the box needs to have song mode or a way to save chains. you say it often enough. I really don’t care anymore about this topic because everyone became entirely too hostile about it, the post you were responding to was from quite a while ago.

ultimately, people don’t seem to want workaround tips and discussing the topic doesn’t really seem to go anywhere as everyone on both sides just says the same thing and then becomes hostile. maybe Elektron will remedy the situation for people with a viable alternative as they said they would. who knows at this point.

2 Likes

Yea I wonder if the alternative is going to be part of overbridge or if it would be a totally out of the box solution… doesn’t really effect me unless it turns out to be something really mind blowing, always found song mode to be a bit stifling compared to just doing stuff live and practicing but I get that people want it. A “preformance mode” that lets you do control all effects across multiple patterns would be great in my opinion though.

1 Like

I hope that their solution to no song mode isn’t Overbridge. I use hardware synths and hardware drum machines so that I don’t have to be tied to a computer.

i’m assuming there just won’t be a song mode for the DT, but hopefully i’m wrong about that.

There probably isn’t.

i’m with you though, i’d love to have a similar song mode as the AR has, or better yet, something like the MM/OT have in terms of a song mode (offsets, lengths etc).

Honestly, I’d be fine with just a basic simple songmode on the DT/DN.

1 Like

ditto, i’d love a simple way of chaining patterns and saving them. we can only help.

Hey there,
First time posting here - It’s an amazing site, such a useful platform!

I picked up a Digitakt the other day, and I’m blown away - It’s incredible.
My only issues are the lack of an SD card slot (I record on a Zoom a lot)
and also my main issue - The lack of a song mode.

I was wondering, how do you other users go about making songs on the Digitakt, opposed to just 4 bar beats?

Would really appreciate your ideas and methods!

• Reuben

Edit: Welcome to the forum :wink:

2 Likes

can’t you combine midi out routing to midi in… sending program changes?
not sure, i don’t have one

I create super repetitive songs.

14 Likes

This has been a long time discussion here… Many here feel like the lack of song mode is a flaw in the design of the unit, while others feel like this feature isn’t needed… To answer your question, there’s a pattern chain function that gets you half way there… The problem is, you can’t save it… So you have two choices, either never turn off the unit or input your song arrangements every single time you power up the device… IMHO, it’s a flaw…

1 Like

I have a MnM and Rytm and have never once used song mode. I have way more fun live tweaking and progressively adding/ subtracting elements in the mix.

Takes a bit more forethought but usually ends with happy accidents along the way.

2 Likes

Use a daw

2 Likes

As mentioned before, you could just save your patterns in a chronologic order.
lets say if your song consists of pattern A, B, B A, then you save A on pattern 1, B on pattern 2&3, A on pattern 4.
When you load your projects, just have to manually set up a chain in ascending order each time - PT1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6… up to the last one to recall your complete song.

1 Like

notepad-and-pencil

3 Likes

Surely…wait for my brain…to translate here.
I have a DT and ARmkii i use the DT set as the brain. Switching the paterns of the ARmkii by putting a program change command in the DT patter being sent to the ARmkii.

So for example A1 contains instruction on ch 13 to send program A1 of the ARmkii with a midi cc. A2 of the DT contains instruction for the ARmkii to change to A3. A3 of the DT contains no instruction. Etc…

This way i can make the ARMKII change patters by changing the DT pattern. Which i can control from a DAW or my fingers. Eitherway.

Surely i can midi loop through From DT back to the DT and on say midi channel 13 in each pattern place a midi cc instructing the DT which pattern to jump to next???

Anyone??? tried this???

Just wait 3 more years for elektron to release the digitakt MKII which will be exactly the same, but with a song mode so we all get to buy the same hardware all over again.

3 Likes