"Song mode" Digitakt

This is the part where certain brand loyalists try to point out how stupid other commentators are, right on cue and as described. my point is that’s fine, it might even help squash the conversation in the near term, and in the end this forum will be left with the trollers talking to each other as others leave the brand.

In reply to your comparison which attempts to make it seem that I am a dumb amateur who doesn’t know the market: the DFAM is an analog device, of which I have 10+ similar analog devices with no patch memory let alone project storage etc. following my previous analogy that’s like comparing a motorcycle to a car: different expectations.
this comment makes you like the car dealer in my anecdote who pretends I should have known my windshield wipers were on a hand crank, or that I am somehow stupid because a motorcycle doesn’t have motorized windshield wipers.

Digitakt is digital device with pretty robust sample, patch and sequence storage capabilities. I am not asking for a song mode, I knew it did not have one. I am pointing out that the pattern chaining mode that is already there was a feature I mistakenly expected would save to a project, just like almost every other parameter associated with a project can be. I am not mad or trying to gripe: I can just send the thing back if I feel I can’t live without that feature.

Where the problem arises: When I look at the video Cenk did in 2017, he shows and calls out the pattern chaining feature, but glosses over the “doesn’t save with project” when the question comes up at the product release. that is the basis of my “car dealer shows and points to the wipers, fails to mention the hand crank” analogy. Based on that video I thought the unit would meet that expectation; I can see how other people who aren’t stupid amateurs could make that mistake too. I was wordy in my comment, so perhaps that gets mis-read as pissed off: I’m not, I was just tying be specific. But I am pointing to something valid to the discussion that if Digitakt is paying attention to the thread might help. Also other potential buyers might read the thread and my Level of detail might help them understand the nuance of the issue before they purchase with an incorrect expectation. Peace, I’m out, so don’t bother trolling anymore, I’m done with this thread.

8 Likes

Bit much but whatever.

3 Likes

I’m certainly not counting on Elektron adding any sort of song mode, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they did at some point in the future. Kind of like they did with the A4’s external midi sequencing capabilities.

My guitar got song mode in the latest update

1 Like

I do agree they did them self’s no favors by adding the ability to chain patterns but not save them. Probably less back and forth with the song mode conversation if omitted all together. I purchased my DN not realizing it didn’t save pattern chains, it’s a me issue I know. I just assumed if pattern chains where allowed they would save. Still have my DN and love it, but it is a tad misleading.

2 Likes

You should have read the manual before buying, says right in the manual in clear language that pattern chains can’t be saved. Docs aren’t vague as you say.

1 Like

I get that. But it was CLEARLY communicated that it does not have song mode. Then to buy one and expect it to be there makes no sense.

Either you werk with it or move on.

Easy enough to sequence patterns from external sources. Being experienced, I’m sure you’ve figured that out tho.

(Not a fan of dismissing people on the forum that don’t see eye to eye with you as loyalists. I’d say they are more realists. Sure they like their Elektron gear, but they like their other gear as well. It’s kind of a backhanded insult if you ask me)

He didn’t even have to read the manual. There is a GRIP of videos that mention that THERE IS NO SONG MODE. Cenk pointed this out in demo vids AGES ago. Even pre release I believe

Creating an account n a forum, posting a rant because a product does what it advertised but not what the buyer wants and calling out everyone with a different opinion doesn’t make the device any different!

And btw: I currently don’t own a single Elektron device, but built an external song mode device when I had some… spent the time you invest into useless flaming into something creative. Is better for everyone!

1 Like

I’m not in marketing (but I’ve seen some on TV). I’m pretty sure that marketing a product based on the things it doesn’t do would be a bit silly.

Digitone - track A midi out channel 1 [arp on]
Digitone - track 1 midi in channel 1

Now you have an arp. Pretty easy.

1 Like

DN does not have an arp for the midi tracks. Or am I missing some cool trick here?

2 Likes

isn’t the Digitakt the reason the mass market started buying Elektron anyway? (self included)
pretty sure it was just brand loyalists before that.

(I sort of wanted it to have a saveable pattern chains too, but I think it’s kinda deliberately not that instrument, and I got over it…
I can get that if it’s something you wanted desperately it would have been nice to have a big sticker with “DOES NOT DO” on the box, but (using the car analogy) people don’t sell convertibles with the tag line “DON’T GOT NO ROOF” either.)

2 Likes

Dude was claiming DN only had midi arp.
I’m not looking at anything. And honestly haven’t used arp on DN. But if that was the case…there IS a werk around.
Anyways…

Basically you can get inventive and don’t assume. A DAW can provide a freakin arp. Stop stressin about what it doesn’t have and werk with what it does. We have the tools. Use the talent. I don’t know many people that don’t have a computer. DT has no arp?..use a computer, arp yer shit, record the stem, put it in the DT…done!

I prefer arping from my computer. You can have diff Arps loaded up switch on the fly, no menu diving and fiddling with the trig button+ encoder.

Hybrid in/out of the box for the win.

2 Likes

Aye, he was wrong on that. Only the synth tracks have an arp. Anyway, to get back on topic, pattern changes can be saved and sent from a DAW too :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Yep let’s keep things on topic please.

:thup:

Letting the off topic posts stand now, but off topic replies are being flagged by the community. So just don’t bother , please.

1 Like

Feels like Native Instruments forum here :slight_smile:

Yep…I’ve been trying to sell that one for ages.

I don’t see ANY problem having a lappy off to the side sending pattern changes to your kit.
If that’s an absolute no, MPC can do it…you can even set up a midi track on you DN or DT and set track tempo way slow and set prog changes on there. Even p-lock those for some randomness?

Many ways to get creative.

Buy a Cirklon :slight_smile: (oh man!)

1 Like

Speaking of which: Elektron Pattern Clips! Now with Arrangement Mode!

5 Likes

To keep it on topic. I was very strongly for song mode before. But I’ve found that pattern chaining cover my needs. Still wish it could be saved, but as I said it’s not a big deal for me.

2 Likes