"Song mode" Digitakt

I understand why people want song mode, I just see a lot of complaints, so I was thinking it was extreme. Plus I was curious about what you can do to get close to song mode… I look at gear for what it does & love work arounds.

At the same time, we need the people that push for features. I’m sure a lot of features my gear has is due to people pushing for them.

I would use song mode if I was controlling multiple pieces of gear & needed my hands free to do other live things. If the box doesn’t have song mode I would use another sequencer that has song mode… or I just wouldn’t use song mode at all.

1 Like

At the risk of stating the obvious, you can also sequence MIDI notes or program changes via your DAW of choice, so if you’re willing to use a computer with your Digitakt, you’ve effectively got any number of song arrangement tools for it.

2 Likes

Good luck with those program changes. DT does not react quickly enough, meaning you have to place them in the previous pattern when using a sequencer like the Pyramid.

2 Likes

Good luck with those program changes. DT does not react quickly enough, meaning you have to place them in the previous pattern when using a sequencer like the Pyramid.

Forgive my ignorance, but I thought this was more or less common or expected behavior. At the very least, it’s logical to me that for external sequencing you’d have to trigger a pattern change prior to the pattern in question. Is there something DT lacks on this front compared to other hardware sequencers?

Yes it is different to what I’d expect. Also I’ve read that if you use other Elektron gear eg OT for program changes then this ‘bug’ has been fixed since 1.07

Half life 3 confirmed

5 Likes

Under the midi options there is the sync options under which the user can send/receive program changes when patterns change. This is especially effective for using multiple elektron boxes together. This is the bug that was fixed. Not the behavior you are explaining.

There has been much discussion about it, and it has explained that when receiving a program change from a source like a DAW or an external sequencer the program change needs to be sent before the pattern starts (I.e. around the end of the previous pattern). The DT seems to have a two step latency responding to the program change and thus the program change should be sequenced with this in mind.

People have contentious feeling about this behavior from the dt but externally received program changes works properly when done that way.

4 Likes

DT reacts Just like the Midi Standard defined it. Elektron is one of the few companies that implemented the Midi Standard 1:1. Someone from Elektron, i believe Olle, already explained this in a long Posting, why pattern change commands needs to be put into the end of a previous pattern. Cant find it right now. But was very plausible.

2 Likes

The MIDI 1.0 specification does not define response times for receivers, it simply states "An instrument capable of receiving and processing incoming MIDI data must give priority to its MIDI In port over its local functions such as the front panel or keyboard."

The closest statement regarding response times can be found in the GM guidelines, which states "The time required for complete response to the Turn GM System On message should be as short as possible." (though no Elektron box is GM compatible).

The MIDI 1.0 specification does state the time taken for data transmission (320 microseconds per byte).

I don’t believe that there is anything special about the way Elektron has implemented MIDI.

How do I unsub from a topic? This is the only one I constantly get notifications from!

1 Like

Hit the Tracking button at the bottom of your page.

There is a button at the bottom of the page. When you click it, you will get a menu. Select “Muted”

Normal allows notifications to be sent if someone replies to you.

Muted disables all notifications, even replies to your posts.

Which one is “better” is up to the user of course.

1 Like

Wicked, don’t know how it got set to watching

:wink:

3 Likes

Although SONG MODE obviously sounds great, as well as numerous other features to enhance the hands-on-fun instant Digitakt Experience…

I bought it for what it already was and promised to do, already more than capable and a lot of fun without the crazy new features which were to be added along the way. And with every new feature it seems like a gift, an added extra or bonus to an already great machine. (being grateful instead of making demands)

It’s everyman’s good right to dream…
but i imagine SONG mode can also dull, and take away from the live-performance/interaction?
(Just pressing PLAY & waving arms all over the place?) ‘Work it, and earn it’, seems more challenging and rewarding if you manage to pull off a tight run?

I myself just hope Elektron won’t go overboard and just keeps it working tight without turning it into a mouthfoaming pinball machine.

7 Likes

Or strumming a guitar

5 Likes

With Overbridge you already have a songmode. For me its just not the most important thing.

i just like to play and jam around with the patterns and make the song instantly every time to a new version.

Overbridge i only use when i using my daw. and that is not often.

instant pattern switch is something which would be more helpful.

LOL sheesh True, but the patterns are saved. If all of the patterns are named should be easy to just chain them again. Might not even be necessary if you know what each one is. But I hear you though, would be nice if the pattern chains were saved.

Then again, that’s where Overbridge comes in really handy.

That’s basically what I do. Copy/Paste a bunch of a full pattern across the board then tweak each one with some sort of song arrangement in mind. Hit record in Ableton with OB. Sure it ain’t song mode, and could be a pain in the ass, but it is what it is.

2 Likes