Song mode and purple mute mode

hello, i have a problem with song mode.

I use purple mode for my mutes, and in song mode the behavior is strange, as if my trigs were quantized or something. So sometimes, the mute works, but when I restart them, they’re only reset when the pattern restarts (sometimes). What am I missing…? :expressionless: :thinking:

Song mode is in my understanding essentially sequencing pattern/purple mutes by row. You can use the green global mutes without affecting the song mode memory, but by default the song is saving changes you make to the purple mutes as the song. (This means it’s easy to “perform” in a song or make changes to an arrangement as it plays, but harder to do momentary pattern mutes, gotta reload saved project I think to return to previous state.) Does that explain the behavior you’re seeing, or is it something else?

2 Likes

OK. I understand better. I thought we could have a little more interaction and play on patterns within the song mode… I’m not sure it would be very useful for me, I work with 2 patterns max per song, with mutes that I like to improvise… but I’ll look into it!

1 Like

not sure if anyone else is having this issue-

i’ve been using the song mode editor to mute certain tracks on a per row basis

while performing i will mute and unmute certain tracks as the song plays

when going back to the song editor, certain tracks on certain rows will be muted or unmuted depending on how they were used within the performance- they don’t reflect how the mutes were initially programmed per row within the editor

track mutes per row within the editor also do not save- if you change them and reload the saved song and project, the mutes per row will not go back their saved state (they always remain as you most recently left them)

this- sucks? you basically have to reprogram your track mutes per row after every performance (if you’re muting and unmuting tracks live)

like if you unmute a snare for a fill on the fourth bar of a row that in which the snare track was muted, it will remain unmuted and you can’t return to a saved state in which it was muted

does this make sense?

2 Likes

Strangely (just checked) Load Song doesn’t revert to the song’s last saved state, but Load Project , in the project menu, will revert to the saved/programmed song. For a performance (I know folks did this on other boxes before song mode, too), locking the project can take it a step further to keep you from accidentally saving unwanted changes.

Yeah, using the green mutes also works in parallel with song mode (doesn’t change what’s saved at all) but it’s too much for me to process.

4 Likes

@dirty.care @plim did either of you ever find a solution/workaround for either of these issues?

After using song mode and unmuting tracks only way to stop song mode mutes being altered is to reload the whole project. Works fine just have to remember to do it every time…

Track mutes still seem to function in an odd way, not unmuting consistently every time. And global mutes don’t do anything if the tracks muted within the song mode settings…

i stopped trying to use song mode because of this behavior but i am admittedly not a very skilled user

with more practice i could probably get used to it but for now song mode seems more like a handicap than anything else

it’s easier to just manually switch patterns where you can be assured the mutes will always be saved accordingly / it’s one less thing to keep track of

1 Like

Yeh I’m swaying in that direction too… seems like it’s best not really used as a performance mode but just as a song sequencer. Also not a massive fan of the scrolling countdown bar at the top, feel like it limits my creativity and ability to improvise as I’m constantly checking how long I’ve got left :sweat_smile:

1 Like

yeah it could be used as like a set-and-forget thing for bands that don’t have a drummer or something which is cool