Software to cut up samples

looks pretty nice and clean … I just find the slider a bit weird / unintuitive - what is it doing? Is this start / end?

1 Like

Thanks for the input.

The range slider is used to detect transients and to set the threshold for resetting the detection.
The right knob on the slider detects transients when the sound signal exceeds a certain volume.
The left knob on the slider resets the detection when the volume drops below a certain level.
The UI may take some getting used to at first, but after a lot of testing, I found this to be the most intuitive.
It is still under development, so it is subject to change.

1 Like

Willing to beta test as well - 16" Intel MBP with Monterey and Big Sur

1 Like

Thank you.
I am currently testing with a small group of people. If there are no major problems, I will expand the scope.
I will contact you in this topic when ready.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing this! It will save me lots of time trimming silence.

Thank you for your patience.
I am starting beta 2 testing of our slicing app (Octacle) for macOS.

Please read the notes and give it a try.
I’ve prepared a GoogleForm for feedback, so please respond to it.

4 Likes

I was wondering the same thing.
I wanted to create some samples for Digitakt.
Try this link:

In Simpler, use the “Slice” mode to find transients.
Then save as a drum rack.
Right click each sample button in the drum rack to crop the sample.
Search for your newly cropped samples under “Crop”.
Then rename/save samples as required.
I hope this helps.

@PekeDorty @Mistercharlie
I’m sorry.
I forgot to add a Mention.

2 Likes

Ableton is easy yes. But it’s non-destructive. You need to consolidate every bit and dig into the folder on your drive and rename everything. Unless you dump them randomly into a large folder on your octatrack, Ableton ends up beimg tedious/time consuming for these kind of tasks.

You’d need a simple audio editor with keyboard shortcut “export selection /selected region”

The best audio cutter is Pro Tools.
Recycle, though: This is the fastest on the planet if you need to chop large amounts of samples ready to use in samplers: place slice markers -> export to akai (it creates wav + .akp) Done!

1 Like

Slicex in FL Studio can also do this easily.

I’ve been trying all kinds of software for this, and in the end I prefer to just sample into the Octatrack, and chop up in there.

It might not be as fast, but it’s 100x less annoying. :grinning:

2 Likes

Really annoyed Magix bought Soundforge only to turn it into abondonware(at least for Mac), nothing seems as straightforward and fast when it comes to audio editors. Prob for a large part because I’ve been using it since Sonic Foundry but I’ve tried so many things and they all do 1 million things convoluting the basic copy cut paste of audio. And cutting samples out of full tracks(soul, disco, whatever) is pretty much undoable for me on either my MPC One or Octatrack.

1 Like

?

Going through a 6 to 12 minute stereo-file to get some snares or small bits is pretty horrible on anything but a big screen, specially if its an album of 12 of those and you just want to go through and get the occasional small loop.

I don’t want to go back to moving the sampler into the livingroom and just being able to sample from vinyl because you can lift the needle and see the grooves, and it was fine doing this with my vast digital library in soundforge. But its awful going through piles of disco-twelves after putting them on the CF card then having to listen to the whole thing instead of seeing the breaks and clicking the mouse.

I see.

I just tried Koala sampler app on iOS and i must admit it is pretty well done. Some simple tools, effective, easy to use.

2 Likes

It’s great! It exports to Ableton, too.

The slicer software for Octatrack, which runs on MacOS, has been completed.
The demo version, which has limited functionality, is free and does not expire, so you can try it out if you like.

downlowd

manual

5 Likes

no export wave files?

Is it about Octacle?
Octacle doesn’t output a wav file, it outputs a .ot which is a file for slicing in Octatrack.

1 Like