Software to cut up samples

I tried it, but I cannot find a way to export the slices. Maybe there’s a M4L device.

MPC is the king of sample chopping in my opinion :smiley: And they even have a free DAW called MPC Beats.

You can chop samples with the mouse, by tapping pads, per time scale, or via transient detection.

Here is a demo of the most basic methods

1 Like

I’ve used Beatmaker 3 on the iPad, and it is excellent.

And in possible answer to my own Ableton question:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ableton/comments/gyuif8/split_recording_of_one_shot_samples_into_several/

Not tried it yet though.

Doesn’t OT do the warping instead of daw?

I meant the warp markers in Ableton Live that let you adjust transients so they are perfectly aligned with the beat. It’s excellent for taking say, a breakbeat or jazz sample, making the transients hit exactly where they should and have a surgical sample for playback in any sampling hardware or software.

There is no direct way to achieve this, however there are workarounds. What I do is create a MIDI clip which plays the slices in order and with equal spacing between each one (say, every 1/8 or 1/4 note) then set up a track to record the audio. You get a perfect audio file containing all the chops which you can save and place on your Octatrack for slicing. I do this with drum and instrument one shots within Ableton Live to create sample chains - I have made lots of them for the Octatrack so if you need specific assistance I am happy to help.

3 Likes

I use Ocen Audio and Shuriken on Linux.

Ocen Audio is multiplatform. I was told good things about Auditor on iOS.

2 Likes

Will that export wavs ? Or is it tied to proprietary formats, or locked into the hardware in some fashion ?

If you simply save the program, all WAVs will be stored in that folder together with an MPC program file (.xpm)

If you extract the slices as a non-destructive program, the folder will contain one long WAV, and the xpm will hold the slice info together with any other settings such as pad FX.

So it’s definitely not locked in any way :slight_smile:

1 Like

Renoise :wink:

I actually find Audacity’s ‘Export to WAV -> Use Text Markers’ function to be very fancy and extremely efficient when it comes to cutting up loops.

2 Likes

Can you also set the markers based on transient detection, or evenly dividing a bar in 8 for instance ?

You probably could.
But honestly I’d use Ableton for that.

1 Like

Same, most use OT AED, fast and efficient once learned.

On PC I use wavosaur which is excellent for some things and fast, can also add markers by bpm.
Audacity is great for working on multiple equal length files when wanting to crop dead space etc, then exporting whole project as individual samples and if needed converting to another format.
There are lots of good tutorials on audacity.
MPC Beats is very good for transient detection and exporting too individual samples.
Then @Abhoth excellent OT chainer for making chains.

Between that lot all bases are covered for me.

2 Likes

I tried it again recently (I mostly use Samplitude on PC), and I didn’t see transient detection “threshold” setting, or something like that, in order to have more or less slices. Is there any?

1 Like

Auto detect region is a bit too long winded for me, needs improving I think, you have to experiment with different threshold and duration, I don’t have the patience. I just mostly do it manual (using shortcut keys to add marker, zoom in/out, move etc) but the bpm markers is pretty accurate as long as you know tempo and cut dead space from start.

You should try MPC Beats, free and quite good for transient detection, not too bloatware-y compared to other DAW, you can happily ignore the other functions and just use the sampler/audio editor, that is how I use it, way better than ableton for me for this useage.

Edit: Also on MPC Beats you can if you want set up a midi controller to zoom, scroll etc.

1 Like

Renoise makes for a great audio editor / sample manager. Especially when adding in a lot of the custom tools. Bonus being able to lay out samples on the Tracker grid and render pattern to sample to make sample chains

1 Like

I’ve hit this roadblock too. I’m specifically trying to find a program that can slice by transient and then export all the slices to wavs to use in other samplers. The problem with ableton is that I have to save each individual slice but I’m looking to do this in large batches. Beatmaker 3 has a similar problem. Slicing is amazing but saving individual samples takes a lot of time

It is actually quite powerful. I just use it in the most basic way lol

Perhaps Ocean Audio editor? ocenaudio

2 Likes

Reaper, on YT:
Tab to Transient Sensitivity in REAPER (4:37 min)
Stretch Marker - Transient Guides in REAPER (13:10 min)

1 Like