Softube console 1

Is anybody using this with Ableton? This thing looks perfect for what I want however it seems it doesn’t play nicely with Live.

2 Likes

If you’re on OS X and can use the AU version of the Console 1 plugin then…
I made a Max for Live device which makes Ableton Live track selection follow your Console 1 track selections. It’s one way, so selecting a track in Ableton Live won’t change the track on the controller (Softube won’t share with me, I tried). Though if you’re using Softube Console one the idea is to only use the controller for mixing anyway right?

https://www.maxforlive.com/library/device/5055/console-1-track-follow

The AU version supports automatic track naming and numbering so the track names will be correct. Your selections on the Console 1 controller will make the Ableton Live tracks “follow” the controller.

The Max device also determines how many return tracks you have and allows you to select FX return tracks as well as the master track from the Console 1 controller.

It also works on Windows I believe (I haven’t tested it on Windows) but you have to have the Console 1 VST on every track or your track numbering will be out of sync on the controller. It also will “not” do automatic track naming and numbering on Windows (Softube VST doesn’t support it, only the AU).

4 Likes

Hey, I’ve seen this posted on other forums and didn’t realise it was you. Did you release this on Tuesday :joy:

I’m on OSX but use VST so I guess it won’t work.

I’m trying to work out if track focus or lack of is actually a big deal. Can’t see any videos.

Can I for instance still change track on console 2 and the plugin view updates or does that not work. If it’s fine but out of sync with live in the background that’s ok.

I have Push 2 for volume and pan.

How much latency is there? More than usual plugins? I’d like to use for sound design with my hardware as well as in mix down.

It was a Thursday actually. I also updated it on a Sunday once, but nobody was asking or it would have been “Tuesday”.

It still works fine without the track follow device they just aren’t in sync. Even without using any console 1 plugins at all, the max for Live device still acts as a track selector using the Console 1 controller. 1 selects track 1 , 10 selects track 10, etc… you can bank up too for more tracks.

Latency isn’t any worse than other plugins FYI, I haven’t measured it explicitly but never noticed when doing mix downs with it. I also don’t see any complaints about latency when doing a google search.

The best way to see if track follow bugs you is to try it. I personally hated them being out of sync, hence punishing myself by making this complex track follow device.

Thanks for that. If this was pure hardware I’d give it a try. Not sure what a returns policy is like when you have to register software.

Yeah, I wouldn’t expect to get all your money back if any. If you were planning to use it more “traditionally” is say go for it.

The workflow is really nice. Looping sections and focusing on the mix from the controller really gets you using your ears. You can also quickly roll off or shelve parts you don’t need.

I have 1 Digitone, 1 Digitone Keys, 1 Digitakt, and a Virus TI setup right now. I might give it a try once have an OB template fleshed out.

1 Like

Do you mean you drive the input stage or using the VHD drive stage at the end on the 9000k strip sounds like the xdesk? Just curious where the modeling is meant to mimic the SSL overdrive you’re talking about.

Edit: I kind of answered my own question. I looked up the SSL xdesk and saw that it’s supposed to be the of the same heritage of the Duality / AWS series so I’m assuming you mean the VHD drive stage included in the 9000k… feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

1 Like

Correct.

1 Like

I tried it with 3 OB devices and the Virus TI plugin and it seems to work fine for that purpose. The console 1 plugin has 4 samples of latency according to Ableton Live or 0.091ms in my case. I think that’s usable in a “Live” circumstance.

Thanks for testing this. Much appreciated.

1 Like

New product coming soon - Console 1 Fader…

Looks interesting! Love the Console 1

https://www.softube.com/products/fader#/

1 Like

mines arriving tomorrow, can’t wait!!!

4 Likes

Let us know brother ! I almost bought one this morning but I would like to wait for the reviews

2 Likes

going to keep all posted for sure :wink:

3 Likes

I’m interested in how it seems to you as well. Take your time though and get some use in. I may or may not end up with one.

Banks of faders are foreign to me. I could see there being some cool things happening by riding 8 faders at a time and recording the automation though. Very nice for progressing volume balances throughout the mix over time… I have to stop thinking before I pre-order it. :laughing:

I had it in my online shopping cart earlier too :wink:

1 Like

How’s the console drive built in?

1 Like

How do you mean? To access it you simply press the drive button and the faders adjust to each channels drive volume/amount. To change the type simple access preset menu from the unit. It sounds great, tbh it all sounds fantastic but just not usable due to insanely high CPU, just spent the last 15minutes deleting all the plugins from my default template and just use the faders as an expensive keyboard stand :man_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

Sorry I was hungover on the previous message. I wanted to know the character of the drive on the fader. So it sounds like I will need to pass because of the CPU usage on it .

1 Like

I’m not sure it could be just my setup but it definitely needs addressing