Soft 606

I find my Rytm easy to achieve hard kicks and toms on but im trying to get a sort of soft ‘rounded’ sound like a 606 kick and toms from the synth engines and not having much success.
Its totally my useless programming skills im sure but has anybody had any success or have ant tips to achieve this? And i know i can use samples but i dont want to take that route :slight_smile:

1 Like

use filter

1 Like

Ive tried that but ill give it a go and spend more time on it.
Its the attack phase ive been messing with, trying to juggle the sweep time etc.
Sounds like im on the wrong track so ill try the filter on your recommendation thanks :slight_smile:

Creating soft analog with Rytm It’s difficult.
That’s one of the reason because of I sell mine.
Too wild and full.
By using filter (and not only) I create a nice snare like old analog drum machine (wurlitzer or something like).
Also toms can be done quite good but with kick lot of difficults and I didn’t find the right way.
But I didn’t spend too much time on it, just an opinion.

I’ve never used a Rytm, but my experience with kicks has always been that it’s much easier to create satisfying ones using a pair of voices mixed together, with one handling attack and the other handling decay. It frees you from the “stock” voice paradigms. Been doing this for years with the MD and have been very happy with my kicks.

3 Likes

Grab @AdamJay Drumatix 606 pack ! Check his new album. It sounds amazing through the Rytm.

2 Likes

Thanks for replies people i agree with the fact its hard to get that soft ‘rounded’ sound on the kick, thought it was my incompetance with programming :slight_smile:
And ill definately check out adamjays pack he seems a very knowledgeable and helpful bloke :slight_smile:thanks

And also try the BT for 808ish kicks. There also some great threads creating kicks and the new hihat machines can do 606ish hats too. Layer(mix them them with Adam´s pack. Create something new. You can get any sound out of the machine.

The key to getting rid of that “stiff” sound of the synth machines is to use the synth level parameter to its fullest IME. Don’t be afraid of going to ridiculously low number values, you van always add any lost gain back via the later gainstages (amp vol, overdrive, track vol)

You can always tell a hastily built kit on the rytm if all ur synth volume values = 127 LOL

Great tip on combining two voice for the kick btw

1 Like

I’ve tried to get the 606 kick out of Rytm, and A4.
It’s damn hard, and one of the reasons I’ve made packs of the Drumatix and the TT-606. They are the two machines most capable of approximating that great kick drum.

The woulderful thing about 606 samples through Rytm is you can take them farther with synth voice layering, trigless trigs on the tails, retrig, and filter envelopes. Using samples in the Rytm isn’t cheating, by any means. It’s half the fun!

2 Likes

have you tried the BD Silky engine?

If you want to recreate the original sounds, then using samples would be easier. You could just as easily load in samples to your DAW, so it may be more creative if you layer some of the 606 samples(with layering instruments, I use sample magic Stacker Vsti), say with some real samples or something to create similar sounds to the originals, but more suited to upload to the AR and blend with the synth sounds and create a softer sound.

Yeah i tried Silky - im guessing my soundhaping skills arent up to muster!
I will use a 606 sample then i guess and tweak the synth engine to layer over it subtly to give it a little bit of difference.
I have no qualms about using samples but just wanted to give the synth engine a go. Oh well :slight_smile:

Its good to have a dedicated drum layering instrument, to get more precise results. Check it out here. Sample Magic Stacker

Load one of the samples to a pad and use it to a/b against the synth settings and see if you can get closer!

1 Like

Thanks people - ill try those suggestions.
So fussy about my bass drums.
I love samples but if i can get near with the AR i like to try. Just for the hell of it. And to learn.
If i need an idea worked out on the hurry up though it becomes a time sink so samples are the ticket.

Pinging the filter with the impulse machine certainly gets you those 808 & 606 style kicks. No need for samples.

3 Likes

Is this possible?

Found the answer here

:thup: going to read through. Found the peak filter works very well so far.