Impulse trigger filter?

In the video called "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd80O9eMq40 by elektron, I see 2 examples of using impulse. These are:
[ul]
[li]Impulse triggering external gear[/li]
[li]Impulse triggering filter[/li]
[/ul]

Trigger filter is at 6:29

My questions:
[ul]
[li]Is it about internal filters? or is it about a filter in the external gear?[/li]
[li]Can I trigger something internally with my impulse?[/li]
[/ul]

1 Like

Using the impulse machine, you can ā€˜playā€™ the internal filter on that track using parameter locks on the filter frequency to achieve different notes. The resonance comes into play when determining how this will sound. Essentially you get a very smooth, tuneable sine wave. Then you can use the filter envelope and LFO to make it do extra stuff.

1 Like

Indeed an amazing feature for FM!

try:

• Synth: Impulse,
    ATK 90, DEC 3, POL POS, LEV 64

• Filter,
    ATK 0, DEC 64, SUS 0, REL 64
    FRQ 64, RES 88, TYP PK, ENV 4

• LFO,
    SPD 48, MUL Ā·2k, FAD 0, DST Filter:Frequency
    WAV SIN, SPH 0, MOD TRG,DEP +20

Play with RES, LFO DEP and or SPD.

Have fun!

4 Likes

sorry but I donā€™t understand it.
How can I let the impulse go into the filter? Or connect any parameter to the impulse? I thought it is like a kind of internal side chain pulse, right?

When I turn on the pulse, I only hear an ugly impulse. I donā€™t want to hear that sound, do I? I want this sound to adjust some kind of parameter, right?

_____

https://soundcloud.com/vandammusic

The filter self oscillates while the resonance is higher (at least half way up, usually)
If you donā€™t want to hear the impulse, and only the resonant filter oscillating (like a bell), then slow the impulse synth attack, also slower amp attack helps.

Even higher filter resonance will give longer decay, but of course you can trim that with the amp decay as well.
Use the filter frequency to determine the pitch.

Experiment with these parameters. Good luck!

2 Likes

As AdamJay said, just rise the Resonance and the click will ā€œdisappearā€, try the parameters I just wrote you in my previous post and you will get it.

1 Like

Just did this Kick with the impulse and a bit of FM: https://www.dropbox.com/s/irob83ta7ueskgd/rytm-impulse-kick.wav?dl=0

2 Likes

Multiple posting as this is relevant here as well.

With the justified excitement about the OS1.30, many of us will be experimenting with the new machines. The free New Blood soundpack is a fantastic source for inspiration. Copying kits across projects is somewhat cumbersome and I thought I do us a favor by summarizing the settings that are used in the soundpack. This resource of examples can be found [HERE (Note 210MB pdf file). The formatting is not pretty and I will do the polishing for inclusion of this in my [url=ā€œhttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8732611/Elektron/ElektronMusicProductionTips.pdfā€]Notes](https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8732611/Elektron/New Blood - Learning from Simon and Cenk.pdf). This will however take time but I feel that many of us are keen to play with the new machines a.s.a.p. :slight_smile: Hope you find this summary of ā€œLearning from Simon & Cenkā€ helpful.

1 Like

Nice work.

That Impulse signal is already going through the filterā€¦ crank the Resonance up around 100 . it gets pretty crazy if you straight up crank it to 120+ā€¦ (low volume experiment with 120+)

Iā€™ve been playing the Impulse just as the pad by itselfā€¦ even without a trig at all!

Go to the filterā€¦ make sure itā€™s UPā€¦ crank the resonance upā€¦ now hit the pad. now play with the filter and resoā€¦

put pads 7 and 8 both as impulses and battle them at each other.

i just wish I could get chromatic mode and impulse working together. iā€™d be synthinā€™ hard that day. =)

1 Like

Do you have Ableton Push?

Do you have Ableton Push?[/quote]
i do! (ā€¦and i saw your creation on Reddit the other day.)

However, I traded in my Push1 when Push2 came out, so Iā€™ll just have to wait patiently until Performer is compatible.
=)

good, Iā€™m asking you because there is a part of my patch called ā€œkeypadsā€ it is on alpha stage so Iā€™m just sharing it upon request. With this part you can customize a 4x4 area to send custom MIDI notes preceded with a custom cc, so you can play notes and each note will sound with a different cutoff :slight_smile: then you can record that on the rytm, Iā€™m pretty sure that will work on push 2 if you wanna try I can send to you.

1 Like

That Impulse signal is already going through the filterā€¦ crank the Resonance up around 100 . it gets pretty crazy if you straight up crank it to 120+ā€¦ (low volume experiment with 120+)

Iā€™ve been playing the Impulse just as the pad by itselfā€¦ even without a trig at all!

Go to the filterā€¦ make sure itā€™s UPā€¦ crank the resonance upā€¦ now hit the pad. now play with the filter and resoā€¦

i just wish I could get chromatic mode and impulse working together. iā€™d be synthinā€™ hard that day. =)[/quote]
Thank you for being so clear.
It is nice, but I do this with different sounds. What is so special about this self oscillation by using the impulse?

i just wish I could get chromatic mode and impulse working together. iā€™d be synthinā€™ hard that day. =)[/quote]
It is nice, but I do this with different sounds. What is so special about this self oscillation by using the impulse?[/quote]
That you donā€™t need to do the extra work of shaping different sounds to achieve a very small and pure transient, that by the way is what works best on this kind of sounds, also the dedicated impulse parameters makes easier to try small variations on the impulse sound and itā€™s results. Which different sounds do you use regularly to excite the filter to self oscillation?

2 Likes

As my Rytm is in for repairs, iā€™ve been using the A4 noise generator and short blips to create this effect. Gotta say I love the extra control 2 filters gives, able to get microtonal notes easily. But I still struggle with proper tuning, using Melodyne to correct notes works, it just takes some time.

It is nice, but I do this with different sounds. What is so special about this self oscillation by using the impulse?[/quote]
That you donā€™t need to do the extra work of shaping different sounds to achieve a very small and pure transient, that by the way is what works best on this kind of sounds, also the dedicated impulse parameters makes easier to try small variations on the impulse sound and itā€™s results. Which different sounds do you use regularly to excite the filter to self oscillation?[/quote]
I cannot say now what sounds I change to selfoscilatingā€¦
Usually one or more blue ā€˜sceneā€™ pads contain selfoscilationā€¦ just to play with or to add to a beatless momentā€¦ It is nice to randomize the filter and let totally new sounds come from the same voices, rytms and almost the same settings.
Exampleā€¦
https://soundcloud.com/vandammusic/ill-be-damned

wow, Melodyne, quite a task :frowning:
It is very easy to have Impulse like with proper tuned filter on the A4, IĀ“ll write you a step by step right now :wink:

Here you go:
Starting from the INIT sound.

Finding Multimode Filterā€™s Root freq (C3).

[ol]
[li]For multimode Filter set HP1, RES 127[/li]
[li]Now letĀ“s find Filterā€™s Root frequency:
On the AF keyboard, press and hold middle C, while pressing change filter frequency around 48, go back and forward trying to find on which frequency the filter resonates more. Mine is around 52, I think it can change depending on calibration.This hasnā€™t to be exact. We gonna fine-tune it on next step.[/li]
[li]Now letā€™s fine tune the root frequency:
Set for multimode FilterĀ“s TRK to 32, this makes filterā€™s frequency follow notes starting form C3, so for C3 nothing gonna change. Now go up 5 octaves with the AF keyboard and press and hold C8 (the first key). Now fine tune multimode Filter frequency till you get the resonance tune be the same as the oscillator tune. You will find it easily.[/li]
[li]Check some assorted notes between C8 and C3 to be sure filter is properly tuned. [/li]
[/ol]

The impulse transient.

e) Change Oscillator1ā€™s WAV to Square and LEV to 0. Now you will listen only to the multimode filterā€™s self oscillation. Set multimode filterā€™s RES to 100. Self oscillation will eventually disappear.

f) Go to LFO 1 and set: SPD to 63, MUL to Y2k, MOD to HLF, WAV to EXP, DST to OSC1 Level, and DEP to 127. Now the LFO is shaping the OSC1 Square as an Impulse.

Some parameter that can be interesting to drive from now are:

Filter Lader: Open the Cutoff and Add some Overdrive
Filter env: You can add to the multimode filterā€™s freq a short modulation on the beginning to have more coloration on the attack.
FM: Use the second LFO to FM multimode filter.
etc, etc.

3 Likes

Understood!