So we hear a lot about wavetables now

Ah sorry. It was your own post about the 'logs … I should scroll further up sometimes :smiley:

Hybrid all the time! patching Op-1 and OP-Z into 2x Neutrons, both automated with oplab OG and a Qunexus, all Inter-connected with a raspberry pi, running through an Analog circuitry into several fx has stopped the GAS immediately, as this setup is so damn powerful.

I meant layer a user samples with an OSC. But maybe I misunderstand its architecture.

1 Like

That’s cold :rofl:

2 Likes

The Minilogue XD/Prologue has a dual analog VCO + digital “multiengine” architecture. I have not seen any evidence of the user being forced to choose VCO or multiengine instead of being allowed use both at once.

I used to like the wavetable synth in Reason. Pretty much every track I made had it in there. I dunno after a while it all sounded a bit… wavetabley…

It’s interesting but not a sound that excites me anymore.

1 Like

So…I have a Blofeld…however to quote Denis Leary…

“But sometimes that ain’t enough to keep a man like me interested…oh no…Ah ah…no way”

What I want is the Elektron sequencer strapped onto everything…i have been wanting the digiwave to enter the ring so it can do to wave table what the digitone did to my TX81Z…

Complete it.

Bill Hicks probably said it first…and probably invented FM synthesis

2 Likes

Psychotherapy is expensive. Also, synths don’t judge you.

3 Likes

Can I get this on a T-shirt, please? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

8 Likes
4 Likes

Trends re-emerge fresh every 20-30 years or so.

I think you’re working backwards here, you have a narrative created that you’re trying to box this into, perhaps you should study the sound and the history and current FIRST and then work out why people like wavetable synthesis :slight_smile:

Not sure what you think I’m working toward, but you must have something in mind to determine that I’m going backwards…

I get why some people like wavetable synthesis. I’m one of them.

But I’m interested in trends.

Here I’m wondering if anyone can point me to examples of a possible concurrent trend in commercial music output - one that might be running alongside, leading, or following the one I’m seeing from manufacturers, retail and YouTubers around wavetable.

I’m unaware of one, so I’m asking if it exists.

It might not exist in (any substantial way), which would be interesting in itself - as speculated in the last sentence of my post.

It might be too hard to recognise or differentiate from other techniques. Also interesting - to me at least.

Or -never know - someone might put up a link that’s a recent equivalent of hearing ‘ski jam’ in an old 80s intro… I’d follow that link with interest

Most likely - people will continue talking about other stuff - like what to buy next.

Still, that’s more interesting than the history of synthesis. Bor-ing! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Au contraire! Synths are questioning and judging our creativity all the time! :wink:

2 Likes

I had a Dragon 32k. That was more than enough RAM… in 1982 :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

It doesn’t exist in any substantial way.

2 Likes

Oh, there’s not much of one concurrent :slight_smile:

Hence why it seemed like you’re working the other way around by assuming there is a trend to follow!

“EDM” music trends are a lagging indicator.

It’s a trend, driven by synth nerds getting bored of analogue… some of whom are actual musicians, so it will start turning up in commercially successful productions (outside of EDM) soon enough. Musos are a little ahead of the public in these things.

Anyway, I’m skipping wavetables. I genuinely believe that romplers will be the next big thing. Give it about a year. And then we’ll see who’s laughing at the likes of Roland…

1 Like

I’ve filled my Blofeld with field recordings and run it through a Moog MF101. Technically that makes it paraphonic but it sounds so good.

4 Likes

:thup: