So we hear a lot about wavetables now

Use Google for examples. The only clearly recognizable “wavetable sounds” are probably slowly evolving somewhat glassy and brittle pads. Most other stuff wavetables are good at can be done with other techniques as wel, IMHO.

2 Likes

:rofl:

I do think we are pretty well catered for with analogue synths now, at no other time were so many available and every different type from simple single VCO monosynths to fully polyphonic under digital control and everything in between, with prices from £30 to thousands.

Wavetable is alright, I’d like to see some innovation though, simply scanning through a wavetable running through a filter etc isn’t terribly exciting to me, so it will be interesting to see what comes along.

2 Likes

Waldof has given us four wavetable synths with true analog (not modeling) filters: Wave, Microwave 1, Q+ and now the Quantum. All fantastic synths!

7 Likes

With Plaits and my SEM filter, I think I can check the Wavetable + Analog filter off the list.
There’s the Microfreak too

7 Likes

Aaaand I’m wondering if there’s a load of music being released with ‘that wavetable sound’? Any big examples?

Like, are the manufacturers following trends from producers, or just appealing to synth nerds and hoping it’ll work its way through to something ‘era-defining’?

Oops! Didn’t know they had analog filters.

Sat and thought about this all. Think ill end up going eurorack for this , i prefer the weird sounds i can make with a piston honda mk3.

1 Like

:rofl:

Any EDM hit from the last 10 years has probably involved Massive or Serum.

Edit: if youre looking for examples, look at artists like Skrillex, Dodge and Fuski, Noisia, Knife party, Netsky. Typical sound: any kind of midrange heavy bassline, vowel sounds, etc.

4 Likes

i also hope the new trend in wavetable is a stepping stone to a modern sampler/synth hybrid.

give me ableton’s simpler in a box! i want 600 note polyphony

3 Likes

…simpler in a box would also be nice…
…but 600 voices polyphony will stay a software dream…

i really have high hopes on a swedish take on wave table machine beyond all this icy thin belly morphing aaahhhs…
some game changer as the tone is to fm…

in fact all wave table with balls in the last few years came out of software…as mentioned…skryllex and all the us edm bunch…washington bubble does also great these days…but also more sofware or mod planet stuff…

last time wave table was gritty like that in hardware was indeed waldorf…but they forgot all about the knobs to twiddle and gave us one big red one instead…nowadays all just thin crackling ice morphing aaahhs also…

but as said, sweden will do the trick…granular bits biting harsh on morphing swirled up cloudish bangarang…in a digi footprint…

korgs new try on this, this wavestate is pretty lame, if u ask me…
but modors new try seems promising…

but i, peronally, have no need for another keyboard attached…

2 Likes

got them both in my current setup, plus a HDMK3, which i actually really prefer, but the PHMK3 is still king (for me personally) when it comes to wavetable-madness :heart_eyes:

it also has many options for external audio processing and thru-zero-fm. these two oscillators have totally changed my approach in sounddesign, even though SynthTechs E370 or the 4VOX are also a masterpieces in that regard…

back to topic: just like already mentioned the market for analogue synthesis is oversaturated, and glassy, digital and abrasive sounds (or complex, ever-evolving drones) are getting more and more used amongst EDM and more “avantgarde-istic” artists. NOVATION has already set a new tone by releasing the PEAK, which also has dedicated analogue-filters, and also ELEKTRON jumped on that train by developing the AH.

i personally love the wide sonic range you can achieve with modern oscillators, such as FPGA, or newer approaches to stereo-oscillation like the DOVE AUDIO or the POLYGOGO concepts.

i think that, in a nutshell, it’s history repeating itself (again…), but becoming more crisp, affordable and complex.

2 Likes

Probably the single most irksome thing someone could type in any conversation. If someone is generally curious about a topic, it might be an appropriate to say, “Google _____,” if you give keywords to seed the query. But if someone is asking for specific examples of something you are talking about, kindly offer specific examples. Trust me, they will google the recommendations.

3 Likes

ok

Korg’s 'logue family - which as we know has analog filters - can load user samples, thanks to this 3rd-party utility

The cruel (for some people) twist is that the 'logues have a 32KB limit on the sample, apparently.

Same dev also has a wavetable scanner utility

4 Likes

Bummer. Put a OSC to give it some meat…would be perfect.

Not sure I understand. If you’re talking about the 'logues, they do have analog OSCs

is THE quote that started the new decade.

5 Likes

Prologue and Minilogue XD provides also the ability to load (custom) digital oscillators. Korg open-sourced a SDK for it, so anyone can make his own oscillator for these machines. Each digital oscillator can use up to 32kB for its code and data (afaik).

Yes, I’m quite aware. I just don’t understand the “OSC with some meat” comment.

Usually “meat”, “fat”, “warm” means analog