So how are people’s Digitone Keys?

Ppl who complain about the Design, are not potential buyers. The Design is very nice and saves me a Lot of real estate in my desk. A Synth in A4 Keys Format would Not.

12 Likes

Just got a used one. It’s incredible. I have the box version and this takes it to a whole new level. I never understood most of the criticisms. I think it’s a really special synth and you can take it to insane places so easily now, much more easily than just the box. The box feels really limited now compared to the keys.

4 Likes

The keys was pretty sweet.

I can’t say I’ve noticed that Edit: actually just tried it and you”re right, it does feel like it clicks slightly at the extreme end of applying after touch on a chord at the top of the keyboard. Seems most pronounced in chords involving the second highest B and C keys

I’ve yet to dive in super far yet. I initially wanted to just get a DN before the keys so I could dive in without the distraction of the keyboard. Kind of a weird approach, but anyhow didn’t end up getting the DN and went ahead with the keys. I’ve been trying to unpack a lot of the stock sounds so that I can dive deeper into my own sound design. The filter is incredible, really transforms a lot of the sounds and seem to be a core of shaping a lot of the elements. I should probably put my computer aside and spend a bit more time with this thing.

I love my DK. It’s front and center. I have my OT n a stand right behind it for direct use. I also use the midi side of the DK to sequence and play several other hardware synths too. It’s really good at that.

1 Like

I was going to get a Digitone and a new Keystep Pro but this thing would be $200 cheaper and even though there is no song mode like on the Keystep Pro, I might have to get this instead.

3 Likes

I might add one eventually (:

Oh man, what a dope setup. I’ve had my eye on the OB6. Do you like yours?

I tried using a Keys a few months ago and really liked it. For me, I think pairing it with something like the Keystep would be perfect. I’m pretty used to using the keys on the non-Keys version and don’t feel like they’re a huge limitation. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by the amount of options the DT has and I feel like if I were designing every patch with the extra parameters in mind it would become even more so. But I guess you get used to squeezing the most out of what you have, you know?

Thanks for that, great quote!

1 Like

It’s pretty great. Compared to my other Elektron boxes, it is pretty hi fi and warm. I’d go so far as to say it’s almost on par with my OB6 for depth and fatness. Though entirely different of course, one being analog and one digital.
It has great effects, great sound design and of course sequencing.
One thing I use as a rule of thumb for synths;
Do I understand the whole thing right away? Probably not a very deep synth.
Example-Korg Minilogue. Nothing that requires much scrutinizing, but also not terribly powerful.
The Digitone Keys had me scratching my head a few times. And I still don’t like the arp page. But every time I fire it up I find new things. It’s 1000% easier to get sounds than with a Yamaha DX series.
Also the build quality and feel of the buttons, knobs and keyboard itself are all top notch. Again here I would have a hard time saying which I prefer between OB6 and Digitone Keys for keyboard action. Might be the same keybed? They both have that similar squish when you dig in to the aftertouch.
Others have mentioned the form factor. I thought it would be a quirky thing to get used to, but I actually really like having the controls to one side. More compact and easier to see when stacked with other keyboards.
I do not like the buttons at the bottom of the pitch and mod wheels. Terrible placement. I keep bumping them!
Really like using the latch and arp to quickly jump from one voice to the next and get a groove going. Only way it could be better is if it loaded wavetables.

4 Likes

Keybed for OB6 and Digitone Keys are from the same manufacturer: Fatar (TP9)

2 Likes

ah that makes perfect sense!
They both have excellent action.

I have the regular digitone, an ob6 and I had the digitone keys. I was only borrowing it and had to return it, but I have nothing but praise for it. Really incredible and beautiful machine, and having the macroknobs, keyboard and extra buttons really opens it up in a huge way. With the price drop down to $999 I think it’s a steal. Amazing synth.

5 Likes

was recently thinking of selling the DN (regular one). just haven’t been using it. even though I’ve had it for almost a year, I’ve used it in no tracks. haven’t used it in months, even unplugged it and stored it away for a while. then re-jiggered the studio with the idea of letting it go (along with some other things). finally it comes in for one last trial… WOW it’s not going anywhere. in fact, right now I’m thinking I’d eye some of my polys to go before it does. such an amazing set of options and range in there. I can see why a lot of people have it as their main/only synth.

I think the difference was that I hooked it up to a proper keyboard finally. it fits great up in the corner of a Juno 106! really helps to explore the sounds, for me.

SO my point is: I get why people love the DN keys. I’d love to check one out, but right now I’m pretty damn happy with my studio setup. probably some day though… :hugs:

5 Likes

Sold my DIgitone for a DIgitone Keys. Tried the DIgitone with a new Keystep Pro and the KSP had issues so returned that and the keys will be here tomorrow…along with an Erebus. Excited!

2 Likes

I think you’re gonna love it. The keys totally opens up the amazing digitone!

1 Like

The Digitone Keys is a great instrument.
Great size. Works well with other gear. Well Made - it fell off my desk (don’t ask!) and was unscathed…
The added buttons and controls really do speed up workflow. I’m selling my Digitone because when I go back to it I miss the DTK’s Hold function. Mod and Pitch wheels and the ease using the Arpeggiator and inputting chords.
The MultiMap function takes a bit of time to set up but is a fantastic thing for quick live recording of tracks. And there’s 8 of them.
The Hold function is great for drones

It’s not without its quirks though and could do with an update.
The scaling or resolution for the knobs needs addressing, especially for a Performance instrument. It is very hard to dial in some of the ratios for the operators A and B and other areas of programming.
Also when holding Func and turning a Knob the reset to a value -64 - 0 - +64 especially setting LFO depth it runs through and overpasses very easily… unless you are very careful - very sensitive. For Live or performance this isn’t ideal.

The 2 Control Inputs when I tested using a CV modulation source work … but affect the currently selected track. Say you have an external LFO affecting a certain parameter on the Bassline, Track 2… When you switch to Track 3 to open the filter of the Pad sequence you have programmed The external CV LFO also affects that track which sounds awful!
It would be excellent if both the Control Inputs 1&2 could be ‘locked’ to only affect a certain track.

The above I have opened support tickets for.

It’s currently my main instrument. Making full tracks with it and enjoying it immensely. Digging in deep and finding new stuff out all the time … good and not so good.

I’d say go for it if you can get a good deal on it.

4 Likes

Wow I didn’t know it had dropped price… when did this happen. I just checked local prices and it’s dropped by $800 bucks everywhere. And our prices are inflated at the moment due to the weak dollar… but it’s still lower than the original RRP. Wonder what it would be if the exchange rate equalised again

1 Like