So how are people’s Digitone Keys?

Please report to Elektron support as a bug and see what they say about this.
:slight_smile:

1 Like

poor birds :frowning:
Sorry :slight_smile:

You can fake it with a fast arp / short trig. Still, having microtiming per-note would be great…

1 Like

I love your wall of Elektrons! Very cool dude.

1 Like

Thanks! Me too :smile:

I’ve played one in store and I loved it. I have a digitone and am still tempted to get one of these for all the extra features it offers. It doesn’t seem like it’s selling well? It’s already had a price drop and I barely ever see videos on it or mentions in forums. Maybe I’m wrong though.

1 Like

I still love mine and plan on keeping it forever. Sold my keyless version to make room for other gear on my desk. The small depth is probably one of favorite parts about it’s layout because I can put other gear behind it and use it as my master keyboard.

Since the keyless version is so popular you don’t have to worry about support being dropped even if it gets discontinued (I hope it doesn’t).

A lot of people have been bashing it which doesn’t help. Most of those people haven’t even tried it either which is a shame. The thing is a tank and the keys and wheels feel awesome. Individual outputs also kinda future proofs it too.

Most of the complaints are that the cost isn’t justified. You don’t hear that with something like Virus Desktop vs Keys. I just don’t get the hate :thinking:

If you like it just get one and don’t worry what others say or think about it.

7 Likes

I love mine!, with the addition of subtractive and additive synthesis methods (though minor) add an endless depth to the base fm synthesis of the Digitone/keys. It’s far more versatile than almost any synth that’s on the market currently. I would highly recommend the Digitone Keys, as for my two cents at least, the additional hardware upgrades (stereo outs, additional knobs and buttons, pitch and mod wheels for extra creative modulation etc) really allow you to interact in a more fluid and natural way…pair it with a sampler (digitakt, rythm MK2 or octatrack) you have a super Machinedrum. As for the price of these extra additions may seem steep, but I can assure you, they are worth it. Save up, and commit, your music will thank you

4 Likes

SOUNDS expensive!

6 Likes

It would appear that neither I or my phone are smart🤦🏻‍♂️…I’ll chock it up to a Freudian slip lol!

3 Likes

I am very happy with mine!

Just like the Octatrack (and those pesky interpersonal human relationships, so I’ve heard) the more you stick with them and figure out what’s going on, the more enjoyment you will derive.

Digitone Keys can be a truly expressive instrument when used to the fullest…that deliciously robust modwheel, the bizarre ability to mute the wheels, the user knobs atop, and the insane number of outs…once again Elektron makes something that can be used as a supplemental device…or the CORE of a studio.

I say every hardware-based studio should have a core instrument, a “main brain” so to speak…for the sake of really developing an effortless and transparent workflow and, in the words of Linda Ronstadt, when concerning musical creativity, to “develop your skills to support your instincts”

7 Likes

Can you play scales on the keyboard like how it does on the DN and not allow incorrect notes? also the chord function?

Yes and yes!

Wrong keys will just play the closest note in the scale.

4 Likes

Thanks, good to know

1 Like

Missing the heat though

1 Like

Loving the Digitone keys! Didn’t gel with the Digitone the first go-round, but I found myself drawn to the Keys when it came out and immediately fell in love. The after-touch, the mod wheel, the knobs above the keys, amazing. I find myself starting with an initialized patch and gradually moving away from that.

It’s hard getting good results from touch sensitive playing on the sequencer, but you can just disable the touch sensitivity on a per-sound basis and treat it like the old Digitone. Hopefully there will be an update that will allow for tracking of mod wheel on the sequencer or more synthesis updates, but very very happy as-is.

5 Likes

I am sure I will get a DN in 2020 but reading this posts here I might switch it up to the DN Keys.

1 Like

I made the mistake of trying a DN Keys and an Analog Heat together. I don’t have space for a huge keyboard, so I got a regular DN. The Keys is a quality bit of kit though. Just the mod wheel feels super solid and well built.

2 Likes

I know people complain about the design and the cost etc etc. But it sounds incredible and there are some huge advantages to the design. I think it’s one of the most interesting synths out there.

4 Likes

Someday maybe