So how are people’s Digitone Keys?

Had the standalone box for a while and really loved it, have also wanted a midi keyboard and a new interface for a while. Maybe I can kill a few birds with one stone?

So how are people enjoying it? Worthy buy? Or something you don’t use much?

Interested to hear various perspectives

2 Likes

I enjoy it a lot!
Even though step sequencers are definetly not the optimal thing for polyphonic sequencing…

Mine arrives next week… I’ll let you know :slight_smile:

Can’t you just sequence by holding a chord on the keybed?

The Digitone Keys makes a lot of fun as a companion with modules und synths like the Prophet REV2, the OB-6 and the Moog Grandmother. The MIDI sequencer works well for jamming and recording. The only limitation for me is, that the MIDI tracks currently do not record aftertouch and mod wheel information - while playing live with the digitone.

I hope Elektron will fix this with the next OS update.

20 Likes

Well, you can record a 4 note chord per step.
You can record it while hitting a chord on the keybed while the sequencer is running.

But you’ll get the same velocity for all the 4 notes and no struming effect is possible, except if your timing involves the use of multiple trigs.

1 Like

I just got mine the other day, it fits perfectly in my rig. So far, I am loving it. Kinda wish I knew the Digitone by itself first, it’s an incredibly deep synth and now I have to learn it while hunched over my synthesizer rig instead of plunking it down on the kitchen table like my Digitakt :frowning:

One major disappointment is that not only can you not sequence midi tracks with mod-wheel data, it doesn’t transmit mod wheel data at all to the external synth. I’m also having problems with it selecting the proper program to play on my other synth when I boot it up and hit play, but I’m assuming that’s a user error.

The keys and everything are great, and I love the form factor. Everyone who complains about it are just looking for things to complain about, IMO.

2 Likes

Whoa I am loving your space dude, that is awesome!

3 Likes

Mine’s imaginary :frowning:

7 Likes

Mine is a gigantic mess :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

MINE ARRIVES NEXT WEEEEEEEEEK!!!
So. Freaking. Ready.
:heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I see what that DK is doing to that poor little Prophet module… giving me that “come hither” look… I’ve got some spare MIDI channels with their names all over it.

1 Like

It does transmit mod-wheel data to external synths if (and only if) you select the EXT SETUP button on the keyboard. In this mode you can also select the output MIDI channel and the DK can be used as a masterkeyboard. Unfortunately you have to leave this mode for MIDI sequencing - that’s the problem of the current OS.

Beside this: How the FM soundscape of the DK complements the deep analogue sounds of the Prophet and the OB-6 is awesome. Add an 808 drumtrack and this is absolute synth heaven…

4 Likes

Oh hey, that’s great to know. Thank you for that tip

Refinancing our house so I’ve been busy making it nice for the appraisal. The appraisal happened today!

It was hard having this sitting in a box for two days…

7 Likes

No you can set MW/PB DST to INT+EXT or EXT in MIDI CONFIG/PORT CONFIG.

I reeeeeeeaaaaallly wish this would happen.

It’d push this into “holy shit” territory from an already great product.

1 Like

My ultimate workstation is coming together.

Designing and printing stands for a flush fit behind the Digitone Keys. The only port blocked is the headphone out on the keys right now.

Just finished the stand for the Octatrack. Time to wind down for the evening but I’ll post more details about the stands soon.

41 Likes

awesome :sunglasses:

1 Like

That’s a real deal no nonsense set up :drooling_face::hugs:

2 Likes