Small room - anyone else?

Going to be moving my gear into a smaller room, the new room is 2m wide x 2.8m long x 2.27m high.

So anyone else using a small room? If so anything to say as to ideas or tips, I found this which seems to be quite useful for determinging modes http://www.bobgolds.com/Mode/RoomModes.htm and this one http://amroc.andymel.eu/

I’m in a caravan - 5.20m / 2.30 m . I use 2 adam X5’s + Sub.
It sounds better sitting with my nose pointed to the long side - I tried different positions and until now sitting central like this sounds the best . I’ve positioned the sub right between the sattelites witch gives me the result and control I prefer. There’s a lot off stuff lying around and very irregular surfaces what probably is an advantage for reflections. I compare regularly without the sub to be shure there’s enough OUMPH ! without it. I bought the Sub against the advice of the shop-owner who knows alot about acoustics but I wouldn’t wanna mis it. I don’t know enything about acoustick treatment but I think absorbing materials like cloth etc… are important - NO blank walls.
Ideal for my taste is outside no walls at all !! But with the weather in Belgium that’s not evident.
I’ve been working in bigger spaces to find it only more difficult avoiding reflections.
In small spaces the Bass can be issue - the shop owner explained me that to hear a bass it’s wavelength musn’t be longer than the space you’re in or it would disappear or resonate when it’s aproximatly the same size of the space.

Ouch. The ceiling is a bit low too… Going to be a challenging space.

Make sure you have enough (thick!) bass trapping to lessen decay times and kill as many of those nasty >150Hz modes.

Here too.
The room is 2,30 m wide x 2,80 m long x 2,50 high

I use for the angle :

and some from these on the wall:

If you need pictures, please PM me.

All the best,

wlademaR

I ended up going from 8 inch monitors to 5 inch, and adding some Primacoustic mineral wool tiles, I might end up making a bass trap or 2 although space is almost all accounted for so I might do some hanging clouds.

I tend to monitor at or just below the industry recommended level of 75-85db, so I stay more or less in a fairly even distribution at least according to my ears and db meter. I guess time will tell once I start doing some serious recording and critical listening, for the time being though sounds good.

Are you using (front/rear-) ported monitors? How close are they to the walls?

http://www.roomeqwizard.com

I used this a while back to get a reasonably flat response from my a77xs by optimising the sweet spot. Mainly by moving speakers (distance from walls, floor&ceiling) and the listening position (d from speakers), measuring again and again. i ignored all the other positions in the room. I ended up with some big diy bass traps in the corners and a bit of sidewall absorption, and been ok ever since. My room is slightly larger though.

1 Like

Front ported - Equator D5s, I have them close to a wall (in a room that size no choice!) but I have the boundary switches set as such, so a lot of the bass is less emphasised.

I did try to find some unported monitors but nothing within my budget was suitable, gotta say though pretty happy with the Equators.

1 Like