Small line stereo recorder for iphone

Hi there,
Im seatching for a small mobile audio-interface to use with an iphone ( lightning preferred) that can record two line signals (stereo 3,5 mm would be nice). If found the Rode Sc-6 L with two TRRS Mono inputs for microphones, but Im not shure if it can handle a stereo line signal from the OP-Z or any other 3.5mm-Headphone-Jack? Has somebody any experiences with that interface or knows an alternative?

I’ve not tried the Rode, but I have been using the iRig Pro Duo on both an iPhone 6S and later an iPhone XL and it has been a solid performer on both phones. It’s portable and the sound quality is actually pretty good. I’ve recorded several line level devices and several microphones, some of which required phantom power. I’ve used it a lot in a theatrical setting (sound design, voice over work, etc.) and it’s been truly outstanding for my needs.

2 Likes

thanks for the tip. that might work with its battery power, but Im looking for something even smaller. I dont need a mic ampliver, phantom power and monitor outs, just a line stereo input and some headphone outs.

Bumping this…

Anyone using anything other than the iRig Pro Duo in 2023 for iPhone iOS and also with video?

I have one and it’s decent enough, but it feels cheap as f**k, and I fancy something smaller if possible or feels better built.

I’ve been using the Rode Micro AI or whatever it’s called. It’s designed to take two lav mics but also has an option to use one input as a stereo line in on a 3.5mm jack.

It’s tiny and comes with lightning, usb c and usb a plugs.

By using with video do you mean does it record audio while filming with the camera app? Haven’t tried but can test it.

3 Likes

i’m interested to know if it’s possible to use it while recording a video. please let us know! :sweat_smile:

I’ll give it a go tomorrow and report back.

I love it, could do with a bit more headroom, but it’s small and light enough that it barely weighs down the headphones cable (I’m using it as a dac as much as anything).

1 Like

Ok cool, I was trying to work that out with regards to recording a line level stereo input on the Rode, and at least get some first hand experience of someone trying this out.

I found a comment on YouTube to which Rode responded and confirmed that you can record a line level signal:

(Comments from this vid)…

And yeah, with the video it would be cool to record the audio in conjunction with the default camera video app, or a third party one (similar to the iRig Pro Duo)

Anyhow, really appreciate the help and info :+1:t2:

1 Like

I had the same issue before I bought it. Looked like it could do it but nothing I read filled me with much confidence. In the end I just took a punt on it. I made a thread about it on here:

Rode AI-Micro and/or other tiny audio interfaces

You just need to install the app to change a few settings for line level, which it then remembers.

2 Likes

Could the Zoom u22 work? I was unrelatedly looking into it today, and it certainly seems to handle stereo line in, and be small and cheap.

Ah that’s good to know, and thanks for the link. The example you posted in the thread sounded really solid as well. Definitely going to really consider this now. :+1:t2:

That looks decent as well… looks like you need the camera connection kit to record to iOS

Just read that this Rode audio/video iOS app works with the Rode AI Micro

3 Likes

It works recording audio with the default camera app!

You won’t however hear audio while it is recording video unless you turn on direct monitoring in the Rode Reporter app.

3 Likes

Amazing, thanks for trying this out. :grinning:

Update …

Just ordered one of these, so will feedback. It looks great for the size, and for 64 quid you can’t really go wrong IMO :slight_smile:

2 Likes